Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: GUYS! My Dad is now an Axiom Convert!
oldskoolboarder #189203 12/20/07 10:29 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
Nice to hear a comparison with the MA Golds. I seriously considered those when I looked at Axioms. Granted I would've only been able to afford a stereo config...

I really liked the MA sound too. Hmm, maybe my Xmas week should be spent A/B'ing my M22's and Von Schweikert VR1's...

Yea, it was obvious the MA's were "better" speakers. But, guitars, cool electronica sounds, and instruments just didn't have any impact. The highs were more "velvety" and if you sat there an listened things kind of came to you...but it was like when you switched to the MA golds from the axioms, it was like something went missing and you had to re listen for it.

They didn't sound bad by any stretch, it's just that...the axioms were more fun, I guess. I'm pretty sure if any audiophile reviewist sat down they would "prefer" the MA's because of the quality therin (again, the transperancy of the highs was a lot better, it didn't feel as "in your face" as the axioms) but sometimes it's just the overall sound of the speaker, not how good they are. It was just a different sound.

I'm sure if we put on some classical music everything would sound a lot more pure on the MA's...sometimes when switching to the Axioms, things sounded a little bloated.

There was one defining characteristic I loved about the axioms that wasn't the MA's - separation of instruments. I was playing a band that has a pretty crazy studio recording style where they add a lot of cool distorted sounds and effects in with the music. With the axioms, I could pick out the accoustic guitar right away amongst all of the sounds and instruments (drums, electric guitars, violin, etc). With the MA's, I couldn't pick out the guitar as well, besides the "clickity click" of the guitar pick hitting the strings (the mic was probably very close to the strings). The sounds of the actual guitar strings were almost lost in the recording.

My dad also pointed out that he liked the vocals much better on the axioms than he did on the MA's. I preferred the MA's a little bit more.

The Axioms were a LOT more in your face than the MA's, and the axioms had a lot more midrange.

Overall, it felt like the MA's had a bit more "upper shelf" where the things up there sounded a little more pure, which is why they sounded like an expensive speaker. But, the midrange was really a disappointment. I'm sure if I listened to them for long enough I would find lots of little things that the MA's did better than the axioms...but that isn't my listening style.

I didn't pay much attention to the sound stage. I did notice that the sounds from the axioms sounded about a foot behind the speakers, while the MA's had much more depth where the sound was coming from way behind the speakers. However, that isn't important to me, especially with my setup. If I had two stands in the middle of a room where the speakers were about 10 feet apart, the difference would probably become a lot more evident and I would care more about the sound stage.

I probably could have spent a lot longer listening to them, but I thought an hour or so was enough :-)

To me, a speaker should just sound good, and have a fun impact to them when playing music. The axioms had that more than the MA's.

Last edited by danmagicman7; 12/20/07 10:36 PM.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #189265 12/21/07 04:48 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The Fed Ex Man came today and delivered boxes \:\)

The M60's can shake the room with the bass. It isn't as hard hitting as a sub, but man. It's like M22's with a great bass line. I love the M60's...great speaker!

Ok...time to set up everything. \:D

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #189267 12/21/07 05:29 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Good times. Pics! We must have pics!

The M80s are even closer to the M22s, almost the same mids and highs with all that bass.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #189280 12/21/07 07:37 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Ditto the pics.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

oldskoolboarder #189281 12/21/07 08:00 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I got a call from UPS yesterday saying the sub is *supposed* to come today. I'll post pics once I get the sub all set up :-).

Now I have to mount the QS8's...need to get some screws for the wallmounts.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #189305 12/22/07 12:37 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
As promised, pictures.

Pardon the mess...we have water leeking in to part of our basement so we've had to pull the carpet up, and as a result have piles of crap all over the basement. And, the coffee table probably has 4 phases of audio projects with all the wiring, speakers, TV, receiver, and cable TV accessories and manuals on it :P

I've pretty much spent all day setting everything up, calibrating, drilling holes, running to the store, stripping cables...etc. I'm glad it's done!

So without further adieu...

The system as a whole is amazing. Everything sounds so good. HD programming in 5.1 sound is stellar, just incredible.

The SVS 16-46i sub is incredible, blends with the system perfectly, and you can FEEL the low bass. With the smaller room I don't think it's going to lack the "SPL punch" that the smaller cylinders tuned to higher frequencies would have, since it really doesn't have a huge room to fill with sound. More on that later when I have time.

I don't like the interface of the HK AVR at all...even with the OSD menu. My yamaha is easier to set up and it doesn't even have a menu for it. The yamaha has much more extensive sound field programs that really make a difference to my ears. But I guess plane jane Dolby Digital does fine for movies.

Well, there you guys go. Two Axiom setups now rock our house :-).

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #189306 12/22/07 01:09 AM
J
J
Very nice. So what's playing tonight?

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #189307 12/22/07 02:00 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Yeah man I like it.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #189315 12/22/07 03:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Most importantly, how does your dad like the system?

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #189328 12/22/07 03:43 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
No, no, no, it's most important how we like it

Rick

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters