Rate Thread
Alan do you work closely with Axiom...
#1901 03/01/02 12:11 AM
Sean Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi;
Alan do you work closely with Axiom on making new speakers ? Have you review any Axiom Speakers in your past? and if so where can i recive a copy of them?
Thanks!

Re: Alan do you work closely with Axiom...
#1902 03/05/02 06:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,
Yes, I do work closely with Axiom now, and certainly discuss speaker design with Ian Colquhoun, the chief designer and founder. But it's Ian who designs the new Axiom speakers.

While I was Editor of Sound & Vision (Canada) magazine for 13 years, I had the opportunity to do double-blind tests of Axiom speakers togethr with many other brands. The most recent test data I could find was more than ten years ago--the Fall of 1989, when I reviewed the Axiom AX-2 (no longer in the Axiom line) along with speakers at different price levels from KEF, Mission (Cyrus), Paradigm, Mirage, Altec, Allison, Koss, and Celestion.

The results of those tests are fascinating: The top three-ranked speakers are all Canadian, including the Axiom AX-2, and the bottom-ranked speakers included the Celestion, Mission Cyrus, Koss, and Altec.

As a demonstration that sound quality can be totally unrelated to price, the Canadian models, including the Axiom AX-2, all outscored the large KEF floorstanding system, which sold for over $6000 Canadian per pair at the time. The Canadian models were modestly priced, well under $1500 per pair.

You might find those reviews at the library in back issues of Sound & Vision (Canada) around 1989 -1990. Keep in mind, however, they are really of historical interest only. Axiom speakers have gradually improved since then, as have the models from other Canadian builders. None of those models mentioned is now available, but as many reviewers are aware, Canada has been in the forefront of loudspeaker design for several decades, and those improvements and advances are reflected in Axiom's current speaker lineup.

Regards,

Alan Lofft
Axiom Resident Expert

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465