Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Warner Bro's Goes Blu-ray Exclusive
mapatton #190649 01/05/08 02:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I, too, will keep my ear to the ground for huge super-sales if it comes to that. Still need to see exactly how it will play out.

See Mojo's signature
mapatton #190652 01/05/08 03:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My Oppo does a MUCH better job at upconverting than my D2. I will keep my D2 and add a BD player when the price point comes into alignment with HD-DVD players. Of course this news from Time Warner could make BD player prices hold firm knowing that consumers may decide to go that route over HD. No need to lower price if competition is going away. But I also am suspicious of TW claims that "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray" and that "A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition..." Data can be manipulated to show just about anything you want. Last info I saw showed that BD player sales were higher than HD but only due the sales of PS3 game units. But that sales/rentals of HD-DVD were topping BD. There goes that data manipulation again.

Scott

Scott

My HT
a401classic #190659 01/05/08 04:11 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I wouldn't even mind the prices of Blu-ray players if the spec was finalized. Why anyone would buy standalone Blu-ray players at this point is beyond me.

And yeah, it wasn't consumers choosing Blu-ray. Consumers wouldn't have chosen user-unfriendly DRM. Consumers wouldn't have chosen a format war. Consumers wouldn't have chosen a higher price point for content. It's nothing to do with consumer choice. If that was the case, they would drop HD discs and focus only on standard DVD. They're basing their decision on many other factors before that of what the consumer wants, though I suppose press releases wouldn't be press releases if they were honest.

terzaghi #190662 01/05/08 04:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Looks like the $98 dollars + one movie I invested into HD-DVD was a bad move.

Huh? Don't forget that you also get 5 free HD-DVDs with that. Plus, for a hundred bucks you have HD movie capabilities. Can't do that with Blu-Ray yet, so I would say that it was far from a bad move. You are doing like me and using NetFlix (although I do own 5 HD-DVD movies plus have the 5 free ones on the way). Sure the 5 free movies aren't the greatest, but I've heard of people taking them back to stores and getting others or getting store credit, so if you factor that in, you may be able to have your HD-DVD play, the one movie you actually paid for, and still come out with a couple of extra bucks in your pocket.

It amazes me how quickly some people jump on and OFF of a bandwagon. Nothing against you specifically terzaghi, and I mean absolutely no disrespect. I just used your quote, but a lot of people are jumping ship. Amazing the power of Sony's marketing... Reminds me of BOSE...

Last edited by nickbuol; 01/05/08 04:26 PM.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #190680 01/05/08 05:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't entirely feel like it was a complete bad move, but In the whole scheme of things the purchase was not needed.

I have enjoyed at least 15 HD movies on it so far, so all has not been lost.

I have not received my 5 free HD DVD's yet... I have no idea how long that takes- I sent off for them right after walmart had the $98 dollar sale- however long ago that was...?

Anyway- I am thinking about getting the Panasonic DMP-BD30 bluray player.

It can be had for $425 or so on amazon. I think it passes bitstream truehd and DTS HD to allow the receiver to do the decoding. This will work fine as I have the 3808. I personally don't care if the decoding of the HD sound formats is done in the player or the receiver, as long as I can play them I don't think it matters. If I let my receiver do the decoding at least I can get the TrueHD and DTS HD lights to light up on my receiver \:\)

Also, I just bought the DVE calibration DVD on HD DVD but it is a dual layer disc- So the standard def side will still work if I sell my HD DVD player. strangely enough, the Hd DVD/SD DVD combo disc was cheaper then the regular DVD when I bought it.

I liked HD DVD better then bluray, but I will buy whatever plays the movies that are comming out.

EDIT: I just realized that the panasonic bluray player mentioned above has PIP capability (bluray 1.1) but no ethernet port for web enabled features (bluray 2.0).

I find it odd that I can get a $98 HD DVD player with both of these features, yet a $400+ bluray player has only one.

Last edited by terzaghi; 01/05/08 05:36 PM.

-David
terzaghi #190686 01/05/08 05:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's not over yet, Warner Bros is not making the change until April and much can happen between now and then. Good movies are still being released on HD DVD so we'll see what happens in the next few months, I'll continue to support HD DVD until it is officially dead.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #190701 01/05/08 07:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
And death for either side won't be for a couple of years at a minimum. LIke I said, by the time anything like that even comes close to happening, you will be able to get a player that does it all anyway for less than $200, so no loss. Just sit back and enjoy what you've got and don't worry about tomorrow.

I do find it interesting that some people on a variety of forums (not just here) were so happy when the purchase of a $98 HD-DVD player saying that becuase of it they could get into HD movies sooner, and now they are all up in arms about "wasting" $98 and are willing to spend hundreds more to get Blu-Ray they weren't willing to spend more than $100 a couple of months ago.

People are just weird! \:\/

Farewell - June 4, 2020
CV #190705 01/05/08 09:23 PM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
 Originally Posted By: CV
I wouldn't even mind the prices of Blu-ray players if the spec was finalized. Why anyone would buy standalone Blu-ray players at this point is beyond me.

And yeah, it wasn't consumers choosing Blu-ray. Consumers wouldn't have chosen user-unfriendly DRM. Consumers wouldn't have chosen a format war. Consumers wouldn't have chosen a higher price point for content. It's nothing to do with consumer choice. If that was the case, they would drop HD discs and focus only on standard DVD. They're basing their decision on many other factors before that of what the consumer wants, though I suppose press releases wouldn't be press releases if they were honest.

It's an evolving format. But I bought it because it's not *THAT* much money - for me, I'm fully aware others may be in a different situation. After all, my first Sony DVD player was about $500.

IMO, Bluray is not yet ready for prime time. I put up with the little quirks because I want to enjoy the movies now.

Same reason why I buy computers *KNOWING* in six months there will be something faster, better, and cheaper.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Hansang #190706 01/05/08 09:38 PM
C
CV Offline
C
Hey, I'm enjoying Blu-ray movies with a PS3 right now. I just don't think standalone players offer enough over a PS3 to buy one at this point. I think the main benefit would be to be without the PS3's fan noise.

And having a movie format be an evolving format kind of defeats the purpose of having a standard in the first place. It's different from computers, where there's a wide range of purposes. These players are for watching movies, and incidentally, for playing music on, too. Are you telling me that these functions are too much to have the standard in place before the first units reach the market?

And yes, I've invested heavily into both formats, as I have no major financial obligations, but I was thinking in terms of a more casual consumer, who just wants a player that will play all of the discs he buys. I think that consumer would be better served buying a multi-purpose device like the PS3, where they can get value beyond just movie playing. Once they stop having profile revisions, I'm all for standalones, as I myself want more audio output options.

CV #190707 01/05/08 09:51 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
The PS3 is a great machine. I just wanted to hear DTS:M, and I’m not all that certain the PS3 will ever decode that format, so I bought a Panasonic BD30. I’ve been very impressed with the BD 30 so far. It’s not quite as fast as the PS3, but faster than the A35. And, it’s silent. The PS3 is the noisiest machine I have in my HT.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters