Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Warner Bro's Goes Blu-ray Exclusive
pickupmykeys #190903 01/07/08 01:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I bought a few 'must have' HD-DVDs I have really enjoyed a lot of HD rentals now that the local Blockbuster started getting a shelf full in stock. My $200 A2 also up converts much better than my receiver used to do in the past.

So I'm still pretty happy even if Blu Ray totally wins in the next year or so. I only went into HD at all because the price dropped sub 200. Life on the bleeding edge.....

HOWEVER, I'm still hoping HD-DVD pulls their goalie and kicks Sony's but. Why? probably not for why you think. For one, I never liked Sony overpricing their gear over similarly featured and similar quality items simply because they 'used to' have a technological advantage back in a day. A day that they long let slip away. I could live with that on it's own. Business is business. but, does anyone remember when they got caught loading a Trojan piece of software on Sony label CDs that snuck it's way onto your computer and tried to prevent you from making copies of Sony CDs.

That burned me! Not so much that they tried to do DRM but that they tried to sneak it in under the radar. Loading something on my PC without asking me makes it a Trojan = Virus. A virus is still a virus even if it uses hardware (CDs) to propagate.

I still have some old Sony product but I won't buy more. If Blu Ray wins, I will not stubbornly refuse to use the entire technology but I won't be playing them on a Sony player to minimize their return from me. (Yes, I know they will still be making money from the technology)

Rant over....

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
CV #190908 01/07/08 02:07 PM
devotee
devotee
 Quote:
Yeah, the PS3 is the loudest thing I have, too, (besides the speakers, of course), and even though everyone badmouths the Xbox 360's fan noise, I find the PS3's more intrusive.

I've compared the noise between my ps3 and my brother-in-law's Xbox360 and I find them about equally loud when the ps3 is on its max fan speed. I've noticed that if my room temperature is below 77 degrees that it stays on the low speed, where I can't even hear it, so it's really not bad at all, my Toshiba A2 is almost louder!

Murph #190943 01/07/08 06:01 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
 Originally Posted By: Murph

I still have some old Sony product but I won't buy more. If Blu Ray wins, I will not stubbornly refuse to use the entire technology but I won't be playing them on a Sony player to minimize their return from me. (Yes, I know they will still be making money from the technology)

Rant over....

Yeah, I had problems with Sony cordeless phones, DVD player, XBR flatscreen CRT, receiver, etc. The only Sony thing I really like is my Sony Dream machine clock radio.

But I like you will get a Blu Ray player when the dust settles and have always thought the marketing of the Blu-ray name and the storage capacity compared to HDDVD would win. The only wildcard was the adult film industry backing HDDVD and it appears that is not influence this fight much longer.

Still gonna enjoy my Panny S77 upconverting player until this war is final and prices come down.

Hansang #190959 01/07/08 07:10 PM
R
frequent flier
frequent flier
R
 Originally Posted By: Hansang
I agree 100%. For casual non tech-savvy users, Bluray is absolutely not ready.

I'm new to the whole home theater, surround, HD stuff - recently bought my first hdtv, receiver, axioms of course and a ps3. I haven't had any quirks with the PS3; movies and games seem to play just fine. The menu comes up like the regular DVD's and all that. I'm curious as to why you think it's not ready for most people? Is there something that different about blu-ray that I just don't see? Also, I see mention of the PS3 or blu-ray quirks...can someone elaborate?

Like I said, I'm new to all this so maybe I'm just ignorant to the issues because I have nothing to compare to.

RJonesUSC #190986 01/07/08 09:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The "average" user honestly doesn't know squat about HD, the multiple formats, blah, blah. They just want movies and they want them at 1080p on their 42" plasma (I hope that you guys could hear the sarcasm in my "voice")... The "average" user buys into the hype of what their local Best Buy sales guy tells them without doing any real research. They waste their money on things that they don't really understand, but get frustrated when things are just "point and click" like their slim-line 8.1MP digicam. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are NOT that simple. I know that for those of us with even a little technological experience find them simple to use, the "average" user still has a VCR plugged in at home with the clock blinking "12:00"... The "average" user doesn't understand WHY there is such a long delay in boot-up and the start of playback from these HD playback machines, they don't understand that the Blu-Ray spec is still being modified and changed, and in order for Blu-Ray to really start to shine with their extras and online content, those new standards may leave early Blu-Ray adopters with a machine that won't work with new movies (most likely the "extra" pieces will just be disabled, but still, you get the point).

Ignore that Blu-Ray is more expensive, and the "lies" that have been pushed about the technology. I think that the reason it burns me so bad is the same reason that I get mad when I am at Best Buy and I hear the sales kid telling someone that the BOSE satellite system is the best quality that they can get and will match their 42" 1080p Plasma perfectly, and will look and sound better than EVERYTHING out there when they are sitting 15 feet away from the screen in the great-room of their house...

I get tired of people being mislead. Why not let the REAL facts of the technology speak for itself. Blu-Ray has been promoting their "greater capacity" for a long time, even though they have mostly produced single layer discs limiting their capacity to 25GB. HD-DVD has been putting out mostly dual layer discs to get 34GB of space per movie. Top that off that NEITHER formats use even that much space. Oh, and HD-DVD supports 3-layers given it a max of 51GB. Only 1GB more than the maximum of Blu-Ray, but it still is there. Again, HD movies have MORE than enough space with less layers than maximum.

Is Blu-Ray bad, heck no! Bring on the HD movies! Is the PS3 bad? No way, I am not a PS3 fan, but I respect the hardware, even if there are 3 times as many XBox 360s out there (according to a report I read just today about the whole impact and cost to Sony for forcing this technology). We all here like to enjoy sound, and most of us movies too. If one person does it differently than another, that is perfectly fine. I just think that we (the consumers) are being force fed a more expensive, non-finalized, arguably less technically capable (when looking past the movie's video and sound itself) technology. Is it (Blu-Ray) good? You bet! But I don't think that it was the "best" choice.

You all are completely entitled to disagree, and yet again, I hope that people could hear my respect for Blu-Ray users even if I disagree with the way that it was "marketed."

Farewell - June 4, 2020
RJonesUSC #191009 01/07/08 11:45 PM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
 Originally Posted By: RJonesUSC

I'm new to the whole home theater, surround, HD stuff - recently bought my first hdtv, receiver, axioms of course and a ps3. I haven't had any quirks with the PS3; movies and games seem to play just fine. The menu comes up like the regular DVD's and all that. I'm curious as to why you think it's not ready for most people? Is there something that different about blu-ray that I just don't see? Also, I see mention of the PS3 or blu-ray quirks...can someone elaborate?
Like I said, I'm new to all this so maybe I'm just ignorant to the issues because I have nothing to compare to.

Some issues are that Bluray is still evolving. Currently, profile 1.1 players are shipping. Profile 2.0 players are on the horizon. Each spec adds different features and I don't know if there are any guarantees that today's non 2.0 players can play of discs in the future.

Then there's the High def audio formats. I believe PS3 is somewhat limited in what it can decode. I've seen reports that there is a FW that will bring PS3 to profile 1.1 but since I don't own it, I don't know for sure.

Another example. Most BD today will not resume. So if you hit stop or power off, it won't remember where you were. Add that to the long power up times (to finally playing the movie) and it can get annoying!

Then you have players (Toshiba and Samsung) which suffer from incorrect implementation of displaying BD's at 24Hz. Again, PS3 can't do 24Hz so it's a moot point.

HDMI pretty much started this whole mess. The HDCP caused a lot of grief because of incompatibility. We're at that growing pains stage with HD/Bluray.

I'm not sure how many will know, but when IBM clones first hit the street, one of the selling points was "it plays MS Flight simulator" It became a benchmark of compatibility. Not all clones got it right in the beginning. No one today would thinks twice about compatibility when buying a Dell, Gateway, etc.

HD and Bluray isn't there yet. Well, HD is "more there" than Bluray, but neither get a 100% mark from my view point.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
ctown #191011 01/08/08 12:37 AM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: ctown
... The only wildcard was the adult film industry backing HDDVD and it appears that is not influence this fight much longer...

Especially now that Digital Playground is going bi!

Warming to blue ray

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
Hansang #191029 01/08/08 03:52 AM
devotee
devotee
The latest firmware has upgraded the ps3 to profile 1.1 already. Also it can play all formats but DTS HD:Ma and while its hardware very likely can't stream it, it might be able to decode it and send a pcm stream to the receiver, which would be good enough for me (when I upgrade the receiver).
Also the ps3 does support 1080p24Hz since firmware 1.8!

All in all I'm very pleased with the perfomance of it as a bluray player.

skyhawk669 #191035 01/08/08 04:21 AM
old hand
old hand
This whole Hi-Def format war made me sick from the start. First Disney puts money into the development of HD-DVD but pulls out when HD-DVD won't push to the limits Disney wants in terms of anti-theft-ware. Then Disney and Fox plant their flags into Blu. It was Disney and Fox who also planted their flags into Divix years ago.
I still don't understand how so many units of Blu-ray players and movies were sold simply due to the fact there are a more wider range of film released on HD-DVD. The Blu release slate is for the most part filled with more recent bombs inwhich the studios are still trying to get their money back on by showcasing a new format. Aside from teh few hits most are duds that no one wanted to see in the theatre - like I was to see that crap clearer and more defined?!!
Meanwhile there have been release with less bonus features on Blu than on the standard versions - what the hell is that all about?! The new format boasted all this extra room so where is it being used! It's a rip-off. Not to mention why aren't certian films which have been publicized as being digially restored and remastered in High Def available IN HI-DEF - case in point all the BOND film released last year in box sets.
For over 5 years now Sony/Colunbia has made it known on the back cover of their releases standard DVD released have been mastered in HIGH DEF. Where are they? Instead they expect the public to put them in the black with newer theatrical bombs.
Then there's the whole mess of releasing players that change which every six month slate - can't they just get it right from the get go? Why do they have to use the consumer as a lab mouse by selling obsolete players compared to software released the next month. HD-DVD seems to have their act a little more together. I don't even want to get into what Disney is shoveling.
Their head of DVD operations shout Blu is quality - yet this is the same studio that has at least a dozen DVD releases using masters done over 10 years ago meant for Laserdisc (THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, SISTER ACT, THE JOY LUCK CLUB, HOCUS POCUS, and more)
If Disney is SOOOO into BLU why aren't they release the new re-mastered re-release of the animated 101 Dalmations in on Blu along with the standard release! No, in stead they are planning to release SLEEPING BEAUTY on Blu - a title that under performed when released as a special edition on standard DVD.
Thank you, I have my OPPO and my Anthem D2 with video upconverting that makes all standard DVD 1080p and has fooled my friends and reletives into thinking it's Hi-Def - at least until the dust settles and cary atmosphere is gone from this Hi-Def bull.

ditcin #191044 01/08/08 05:45 AM
veteran
veteran
...and to throw more fuel on the fire, rumors are swirling that Paramount wants to break their HD-DVD exclusivity deal they entered into 4 months ago, via some sort of clause which allows them an exit if others studios went the Blu-ray way.
I just wish there one solid, finalized format that we could all feel safe in investing in, knowing every single movie would come out on that format, and would be fully compatible with our player/receiver.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters