Craig_P #191049 01/08/08 07:33 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
As much as I think Blu-ray was the greater evil, and even though I bought a lot more HD DVDs in support of the format, I'm ready to come to terms with even the wrong side winning, just so we can move on to more widespread adoption, ensuring more of the content we want in high-definition.

That being said, I'll still continue to enjoy my HD DVD player until it gives up the ghost, as I hope others will. I plan on putting up several more discs in the giveaway thread, both HD DVD and Blu-ray, so stay tuned for that in a couple more weekends.

I don't consider my investment a waste. I've had a lot of fun enjoying the benefits of high-definition picture and sound before others, and I've definitely gotten more out of the format than I've been able to get out of SACD and DVD-Audio.

Re: Warner Bro's Goes Blu-ray Exclusive
CV #191057 01/08/08 01:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If Sony and the rest of the Blu-Ray camp wants to really win the HD-DVD users, then they better make sure that future players also play HD-DVD as well. I know that for them, strategically it doesn't make sense right now, but to get their players as the exclusive player in the home, they would need to do this.

I considered my $98 HD-DVD player a "short-term" investment. Short-term, I thought, would be a couple of years though, not a couple of months potentially. Sure, there are movies out there on HD-DVD that I enjoy, but I've been NetFlix'ing the heck out of them and don't know how much more I will be able to enjoy without more new content. Of course, with the HD-DVD movie rebate with the requirement of removing the UPC from the box, my player is no longer returnable (even if I wanted to return it) nor or the 5 movies that I actually bought.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #191059 01/08/08 01:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
>> From xboxer.tv:
 Quote:

Insiders over at the AVS Forums - who are proper, actual insiders who work for companies like Microsoft, Universal and representatives of the Blu-ray consortium - reckon the decision could've gone either way.

Warner dumping HD DVD for Blu-ray went down to the wire - and it could've been persuaded, along with 20th Century Fox, to go exclusively with HD DVD instead.
In fact, they both nearly DID - an agreement was apparently in place between Warner, Fox and HD DVD backer Toshiba for the HD DVD WIN SCENARIO, only for Fox to pull out at the last minute and go crying off to Sony instead. Which gave Warner cold feet, so it went Blu-ray as well. It really was that close to being an HD DVD victory.

So if Warner and Fox had gone for HD DVD it'd be Blu-ray that'd look like the failed format today, and perhaps Bill Gates just might've pulled out an HD DVD-packing Xbox 360 from under his podium at CES last night, rather than blather on about a few new downloadable films instead.

-David
terzaghi #191074 01/08/08 03:03 PM
C
CV Offline
C
How sad. At least now we know who to blame if Blu-ray's "evolving" spec turns into a consumer-screwing fiasco.

CV #191079 01/08/08 03:47 PM
Hutzal Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
There is one wild card that Toshiba has yet to play. It is the exclusive production of Combo HD DVD and DVD being the only DVD release for big blockbusters.

If Toshiba would take a loss and put out HD DVD / DVD Combo discs and convince the studios not to release a DVD variant, I believe that they could steal this whole war. Maybe price the Combo Disc a little higher, but still, the consumer would have no choice but to buy the DVD and HD DVD...and they'll say to themselves after multiple combo disc purchases, "I have all these HD DVD's I probably should just go out and buy a player". Done, Toshiba has accomplished their job.

They need to be aggressive with their combo discs. I believe this is the only way that HD DVD has a chance of winning this war. If they start to do this exclusively, I think Warner will come back to HD DVD.

Last edited by Hutzal; 01/08/08 03:47 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #191083 01/08/08 03:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That is one other thing that I like about most of my HD-DVDs that I own. They are HD-DVD on one side, and regular DVD on the other. I can view the HD version in my home theater, and the SD version everywhere else in my house, or in our minivan for the kids.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #191086 01/08/08 04:26 PM
C
CV Offline
C
If anything, the combo discs need to come way down in price. I already hate paying more for them when I don't care about the SD layer. It would be insane to insult both owners of HD and SD players with high prices and no alternatives.

CV #191092 01/08/08 04:46 PM
Hutzal Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Perhaps I should clarify,

They should price the combo discs maybe $3 more than the SD DVD would have cost.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #191095 01/08/08 04:56 PM
R
frequent flier
frequent flier
R
 Originally Posted By: Hutzal
There is one wild card that Toshiba has yet to play. It is the exclusive production of Combo HD DVD and DVD being the only DVD release for big blockbusters.

If Toshiba would take a loss and put out HD DVD / DVD Combo discs and convince the studios not to release a DVD variant, I believe that they could steal this whole war. Maybe price the Combo Disc a little higher, but still, the consumer would have no choice but to buy the DVD and HD DVD...and they'll say to themselves after multiple combo disc purchases, "I have all these HD DVD's I probably should just go out and buy a player". Done, Toshiba has accomplished their job.

They need to be aggressive with their combo discs. I believe this is the only way that HD DVD has a chance of winning this war. If they start to do this exclusively, I think Warner will come back to HD DVD.

So you're OK with the consumers getting screwed even more just so HD-DVD wins the war? By screwed I mean all the people who have DVD players and no HD players having to pay more just to get the title they want on DVD.

RJonesUSC #191099 01/08/08 05:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It would the same approach that the Blu-Ray camp took... Force the technology on people...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kevin1), 372 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup