Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Re: Denon 3808CI – one week later
JohnK #191048 01/08/08 06:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for the correction.

I now have the monumental task of sorting through all of the internet radio stations in the world to come up with a list of favorites. I added a list of top 40 stations that were 128 kb/s(mostly for my girlfriend), and some trance stations from germany just for fun.

Also, I finally got TVersity to work with my denon to stream my flac files from my computer to the denon. It is working great now. The flac files sound exactly the same as the cd (with the exception of the 1/2 second pause between tracks from the stream.) Much better then the mp3's I was streaming with windows media player!

-David
terzaghi #191061 01/08/08 02:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
A admit I had to Wiki Trance music.
Trance is a style of electronic music that developed in the 1990s. Trance music is generally characterized by a tempo of between 130 and 160 BPM, featuring repeating melodic synthesizer phrases, and a musical form that builds up and down throughout a track.

Not sure I'd like it but I am intrigued to give it a try. Do you have any online samples I can listen to. Legal, of course \:\)

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #191071 01/08/08 02:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think trance originated in germany, and it is hybrid of 'dance' and 'techno'.... not sure where the 'r' in trance comes from though.
try these:

http://www.rss-one.com/show-web-radio-42.html
http://radiotime.com/station/s_49585/1ClubFM_Trance.aspx

I listen to it usually when running/working out/cleaning

-David
terzaghi #191112 01/08/08 07:33 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
T - I am really interested in your TVersity experience. My understanding is that software is commercial with a free trial period. Is that right?

I've been trying to work out streaming to a Wii or to a DirecTV HD20 and it sounds like the same technical architecture, albeit with a different interface. Are you satisfied with the Denon GUI for this purpose? Playlists work okay?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #191124 01/08/08 09:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Tversity is completely free for home use. They just ask that you purchase a license if you intend on using it for comercial purposes. I don't think there are any differences in the home or commerical version either.

The denon GUI looks very slick and works great for most everything. However, browsing through your playlist on the denon can be a little slow at times. Once you get the main remote figured out (or program a different one) you learn how to do it a little quicker. The denon also has the option of scrolling up or down page by page through your playlist, which speeds things up a bit (the way you do this on the main remote is kind of odd though). You can also search by letter... so if you are browsing by artist and want to look at the artists that start with a 'D' you can do so.

I am just starting my flac collection so I do not have tons of flac files to sort through. I do have a ton of mp3's though.

Anyway, to sum things up TVerstiy works great for sharing media. The denon works great for accessing the flac files on my computer, and allowing me to play them with the main denon remote. The only thing I don't like is the fact that navigating through your media on the denon be seem slow at times. However, it is all there and it all plays great \:\)
I have used the 360 for this in the past and like how you can hold down the right trigger to scroll REALLY fast.... there is no fast scrolling with the denon. However, the xbox 360 does not support flac files and the denon does \:\)

There may be hardware that let you surf through your playlist faster then the denon, but I feel no desire to upgrade to anything else. The denon will play all of my flac files with no problem.

Check out this getting started FAQ for TVerstity. It talks about setting it up with your wii:

http://tversity.com/support/quickstart/

Last edited by terzaghi; 01/08/08 09:43 PM.

-David
tomtuttle #191130 01/08/08 10:27 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
T - I am really interested in your TVersity experience. My understanding is that software is commercial with a free trial period. Is that right?

I've been trying to work out streaming to a Wii or to a DirecTV HD20 and it sounds like the same technical architecture, albeit with a different interface. Are you satisfied with the Denon GUI for this purpose? Playlists work okay?

Tom - based on some excellent advice I just got, you might consider just using some CAT 5.

Ray3 #191131 01/08/08 10:35 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Thanks, T. Very much.

Ray, I've already got the cable plant covered, thanks ;\) My challenges relate to which software to use on the server side (WMP, TVersity, Winamp Mobile, others?) and which user front-end might be easiest/best for the other users in the house (a new Denon 3808CI, the Wii, the DirecTV box, Winamp on a computer monitor, etc.). It's nice to have options.

I'm not seriously considering the Wii, because then I would be using it's wireless connection rather than the existing copper, and also because then I would be using the D/A converters in the Wii. I am seriously exploring the DirecTV box as an option, though.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #191133 01/08/08 10:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
WMP works great as a media server, but it has limits in the type of files it can share.

It can not share or play flac files natively. You can install a patch that allows you to play flac files, but I don't think it's possible to share them with your network.

The xbox 360 is great, but as I mentioned it does not support flac. They did recently add DivX support which is cool for video streaming/sharing.

-David
terzaghi #191153 01/09/08 01:09 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
The patch I used for WMP does let it share the files,I am at work and can't remember which one I used, but I have become a fan of winamp, it has a nice GUI and does everything I need it to for the rest of the families requirements.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
tomtuttle #191449 01/10/08 06:13 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Thanks, T. Very much.

Ray, I've already got the cable plant covered, thanks ;\) My challenges relate to which software to use on the server side (WMP, TVersity, Winamp Mobile, others?) and which user front-end might be easiest/best for the other users in the house (a new Denon 3808CI, the Wii, the DirecTV box, Winamp on a computer monitor, etc.). It's nice to have options.

I'm not seriously considering the Wii, because then I would be using it's wireless connection rather than the existing copper, and also because then I would be using the D/A converters in the Wii. I am seriously exploring the DirecTV box as an option, though.

You are way beyond my thought processes on this. I am prety much settled in on a 3808 (its on the way) and setting it up with a wireless bridge.

My Wii can see my network, but I haven't figured how to get out onto the internet with it. I believe I may have to go into the Shopping Channel and "buy" Opera for $5. Once I figure that out, I need to find out if I can use some type of wireless keyboard/mouse with the Wii.

You also mentioned using the DirecTv box. Hadn't considered it and don't know what you mean - can I get some detail? I have an H20 and an HR-20.

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup