C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I finally got around to buying Mass Effect (Call of Duty 4 is on the way), and it's pretty fun so far. The pace is typical Bioware, in that you have to spend a lot of time talking to characters and figuring out where to go to progress the many possible storylines. It can get a little old, but there's also a lot of good stuff in there, too. They obviously spend a lot of time coming up with the details for their stories. They think big when they create a world, which I suppose is a good thing. I'm less than 10 hours in (out of a supposedly 30-hour game). I'm eager to see how it all ends.

Of course, the main reason I bought it is for the full nudity and graphic sex. How was I to know Fox News was hyping the game inaccurately?
Keighley Sets Mass Effect Record Straight... Or Tries To

But at least the author recanted her statements, even if Fox has yet to issue a correction:
EA vs Fox: Lawrence Recants Mass Effect Judgement

Re: Another video game post: Mass Effect
CV #194090 01/28/08 06:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Mass Effect is on my list of games to get. As for Call of Duty 4--what a thrill ride--you should love it.

My 360 is semi-retired right now. Actually, it's residing in the trunk of my car. I'm taking it down to the river. . .no, no, I'm waiting to return it to Best Buy--when the finally get some more in stock, that is.

So, to fill the void I went old school and got Final Fantasy XII for the PS2. So far so good.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #194093 01/28/08 06:49 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Best Buy doesn't have any in stock? What's that about?

The 360 I gave my sister is freezing on them all of the time now. Unfortunately, no matter how much they still use it, it won't give them the 3 red rings error, which would qualify for the free repair. Here's hoping it shows them mercy soon.

My coworker's boyfriend is also having problems with his. There's audio, but no video, so it's another one that doesn't qualify for the 3-year 3 red ring warranty. It's almost like they released an update for the 360 that prevents a 3 red ring error and instead makes them do something else funky.

CV #194095 01/28/08 06:56 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, I got the product replacement plan with Best Buy, so I don't need to wait for the red ring of death. The last time I played it, it froze 7 times within a half hour. I decided to box it up right then before I tossed it out the window.

Back when I was in college (2002) we had an old Nintendo console that still worked. Think about it, the unit was probably 15 years old or so, and still working. Granted we had to jam a screwdriver into the loading hatch to keep the games locked in place--but it worked. I think Zelda only had one save spot still supported by the internal battery in the cartridge.

Yup, had my 360 elite since August. . .

You do the math.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #194108 01/28/08 01:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
CV, the box comes with a 1 year warranty against all failures,and a 3 year warranty against the red ring of death.

I have heard of people putting towels or blankets over there 360 and leaving it running to force a three ring error. I personally think those people are lucky that they didn't burn their house down.

Anyway, MAss effect was a great game.. The dialogue scenes were actually very fun to watch. The way you get to interact in the conversation and the great voice acting made it so that I skipped only a couple of cutscenes... and some of them are very long.

I rented the game and beat it in 14.5 hours so it was pretty short. I only did a few side quests though, and stuck mostly to the main missions.

-David
terzaghi #194131 01/28/08 05:06 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yes, both units I talked about were past the 1 year mark, so they would have needed the 3 red ring error.

As for Mass Effect, I'm trying to do as many quests as possible, since I want my character to get as much XP as possible. You know, to compensate for my inexperience in real life.

CV #194137 01/28/08 05:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How ironic, my xbox 360 elite works (most of the time) and freezes up some of the time, and I have been waiting for over a month to exchange it (I got them to write on the receipt that I can exchange once they get stock in). Best buy has been out of stock in Canada for the elites for the past month (online too). I wonder what the heck MS is doing?

I am moreso wanting to exchange it out to get the Falcon chip set...I bought It last month, so I midaswell get the falcon while I am so close to the release of the falcon chip.

Last edited by Hutzal; 01/28/08 05:16 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
CV #194142 01/28/08 05:27 PM
P
old hand
old hand
P
I, too, am a huge fan of Mass Effect. I'm probably around 25 hours in and haven't beat the main quest yet. I like to get the most out of my $60 purchase so I tend to watch all the conversations and do the side quests. Luckily the incredible graphics, facial expressions, and voice overs makes this a very enjoyable process, at least for me. There are some technical problems such as texture pop in and times where the frame rate drops quite a bit, but nothing that takes away from the incredible story and character development matched with it's immersive atmosphere and dialog. I'm also an Elder Scrolls: Oblivion fan, so I'm plenty use to those slight interferences.

And by the way, I am currently on my 3rd xbox 360. Luckily for the extended 3 year coverage it hasn't been a real problem, just an inconvenience. I love the library of games for the 360, but dang the first few batches of 360s are unreliable.

2-M3s, 1-VP100, HSU STF-1, Xbox 360
ptRyno #194152 01/28/08 06:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
on my 3rd xbox 360 here as well

-David
terzaghi #194165 01/28/08 07:08 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yeah, I'm on my second 360. When my first one got the red rings of death, after the one year warranty period had passed, I let my dad's friend have it, because he wanted to see if he could get it to work. Not too long after that, they announced the extended warranty for the 3 red rings. D'oh.

And yeah, I got way into Oblivion. Over 200 hours, so I got my money's worth. Even with all of the tedium, I still enjoy these long, involved RPGs. I love the openness of Oblivion, and Bioware seems to do a really good job with story.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,000 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup