Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Beginner HT system advice
CV #194737 02/02/08 04:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Nope--I checked again. It's alright, I'm used to manually turning the volume down.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #194739 02/02/08 04:39 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
\:\) All right, all right. Kind of annoying, but as long as you're used to it, I suppose. I'm sure I have my share of things like that I have to do, which I don't even think about anymore.

CV #194740 02/02/08 04:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Believe me, I was kinda mad at first, but then realized my anger wasn't going to change the electronics--well, in a good way, at least. Maybe if I bought a more expensive TV it would have that function.

St_PatGuy #194756 02/02/08 01:05 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I thought all newer TV's had a setting to turn off the in set speakers, the last two sets I purchased have this setting.

Dave
CV #194777 02/02/08 03:45 PM
ZG Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Another question, do I have to use HDMI? Can I hook everything up with RCA cables? What would I have to use to connect an LCD TV? I was looking up some reviews on the Onkyo 605 and there seems to be intermittent problems with the HDMI ports. Since I'm not totally convinced that HDMI sound is the best option, I'd really like to just hook everything up with RCA cables. I've heard conflicting info that I might be compromising video quality. I'm confused about that. Any advice? Sorry for the totally newbie questions. All responses very much appreciated!

Zoë

The more you love music, the more you love music.
DaveG #194784 02/02/08 04:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: DG56
I thought all newer TV's had a setting to turn off the in set speakers, the last two sets I purchased have this setting.

Yes, but I don't use my HT speakers when watching TV--just the built-in speakers. I don't do that much serious TV watching to warrant turning my system on all the time.

ZG #194785 02/02/08 04:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: ZG
Another question, do I have to use HDMI? Can I hook everything up with RCA cables? What would I have to use to connect an LCD TV? I was looking up some reviews on the Onkyo 605 and there seems to be intermittent problems with the HDMI ports. Since I'm not totally convinced that HDMI sound is the best option, I'd really like to just hook everything up with RCA cables. I've heard conflicting info that I might be compromising video quality. I'm confused about that. Any advice? Sorry for the totally newbie questions. All responses very much appreciated!

Zoë

You don't have to use HDMI, although, theoretically it's supposed to simplify matters--video and audio through one cable. No, using RCA cables is okay, too.

For audio, the easiest solution is to go toslink or digital coax. If you have an HD DVD player or Blu Ray, you might want to use analog connections--meaning one cable for each speaker--left, center, right, left rear, right rear, and sub. Go this route if you want to get into the new HD audio formats and have a player that can decode and pass the signal along.

For video, component cable hook-up is fine. As far as quality between HDMI and component, well, it's personal preference and system dependent. I had a 34" Sony CRT that I preferred component over HDMI. On my Sony LCD that I have now, there was little to no difference between the two.

St_PatGuy #194797 02/02/08 06:03 PM
ZG Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I just found this link where Alan Lofft demystified HDMI for me. I'll do some more digging on that Onkyo 605 to find out if those HDMI issues are universal with that machine or not. The deal is on a refurb, so chances are it had issues at some point. I am usually looking for a deal like that and have bought refurbed stuff from well known manufacturers (Apple, JBL, etc.). I just want to be sure that this will perform well for me and not require a few trips back to Onkyo first.

Thanks!

Zoë

The more you love music, the more you love music.
ZG #194805 02/02/08 07:49 PM
I
local
local
I
The Michaura M55 and M66 speakers are excellent. I have four of the Michaura M55s in a 7.1 system. You will be very happy with them. They will definitely need a sub. If you need to choose between a sub vs center speaker for the short term, I would recommend getting the sub first as you can phantom the center as an interim solution.

I have noticed a subtle improvement in sound quality when I use HDMI vs Toslink feed off the Toshiba XA2 into the integra DTC-9.8 when listening to CDs. I have not compared decoded 5.1a out vs uncompressed PCM (or HBR bitstream) over HDMI for high rez audio though most don't find a difference. The only drawback (a minor one at present) to using 5.1a out from a player is that you will not be able to listen to DTS-HD High Resolution Audio or DTS-HD Master Audio since no current player can internally decode these formats (save for Denon's upcoming DVD-3800BDCI Blu-ray player); instead, you will hear the "core DTS" for these two formats with 5.1a. For video, maximum resolution with component will be 720p/1080i for BR or HD-DVD; you cannot upconvert S-DVD over component to 720p/1080i (because Hollywood won't allow it) unless you have a player that disables Macrovision copyright protection ;\) . So, if you like to watch S-DVDs upconverted to 720p or higher, you may want to use HDMI for video.

John

John
Our HT

CV #195091 02/05/08 06:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Umm how easy to get in there and pull the wire off the speaker? I joke, but really... Don't kill your warranty over it though.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters