Rate Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Vinyl hangout…..
#194807 02/02/08 08:55 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Vinyl hangout…..

It seems that there are some here that are starting to get into vinyl, and I thought I might start a thread dedicated to the subject.

I'm planning on purchasing a Technics 1200 series turntable and a Shure M97 cartridge this week. I also went down to a local record store and couldn't believe the number of great LPs from .88¢ through $3.99! I could've picked up 50 albums that I knew and loved in past years that never made their way to purchased CDs…

I'm planning on using the setup with my Denon 3805, though I'm partly justifying the purchase because I've received calls from customers wanting to know if we transfer vinyl to CD. If that's the case, I might be looking for a separate phono preamp to feed a Mackie mixer. Any thoughts on inexpensive phono preamps?

I have to admit that I love the nostalgia of a TT….it'll bring me back to the days of first falling in love with quality sound. I don't know if vinyl will sound better than CDs as some say, but I think I'll enjoy the variety of finds at the record store.

It's interesting that, despite the much higher S/N ratio available from a CD player, some feel that vinyl has a dynamic range that you no longer find with popular CD releases.

Anyone having problems with rumble now that subs are the norm and few (any?) amps have infrasonic filters??

Any thoughts in general? Show of hands: Who is into vinyl here?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: Vinyl hangout…..
MarkSJohnson #194810 02/02/08 09:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark, it sounds like a great idea. It's something I've kicked around for quite some time, but have never pulled the trigger on.

As for inexpensive phono preamps, here's one that I've always kept my eye on. I don't know much about it, but it does look kinda cool. I'll let other's who know more about vinyl chime in.

Yet, something else I can potentially spend my tax return on.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #194818 02/02/08 11:04 PM
OP Offline
Dude!
Thanks for the link to that phono preamp...it's one I was curious about as well.

My fault, though...I wasn't too clear in my original post.

The time when I would need the preamp would specifically be when I have a customer wanting me to convert an LP to CD for them. Even though I might end up liking the "tube sound" personally, for a client, I would be looking for as accurate a transfer as possible...therefore likely a SS phono amp!

MarkSJohnson #194821 02/02/08 11:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Looks like Bellari has an SS preamp for cheap! Looks like it's brand new with little info. Dunno? Certainly is affordable, though.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #194825 02/03/08 12:20 AM
ZG Offline
veteran
veteran
Seems my ga-gaing about vinyl has bitten a few of you - or was just the nudge needed to get you back into it. Welcome!! I've been into vinyl since the 70s. Got out of it for a while mainly because I was the only one would move the 21 crates full of the stuff. When I moved five times in less than two years I slowly decided to get out of it. But, now I'm back and I'm making enough money to afford to have someone do the moving for me! And to afford a MUCH better turntable.

I was just going to recommend that very Bellari/Rolls phono preamp! I had one and gave it to a friend who needed to hook up her Technics tt to a system without a dedicated phono jack. Works like a charm. Bellari also makes tube preamps too.

Was just listening to the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Will the Circle Be Unbroken on vinyl with my Scott 222C tube amp. I've also got it on CD, but it doesn't have the life and sonic warmth that the vinyl does. It's like the difference between witnessing that line-up live at the Grand Ole Opry versus hearing the CD while shopping at Walmart. Clearly no comparison. Vinyl usually always wins!

Mark, consider getting yourself an Audio-Technic cartridge over the Shure. I've got both - and more - and the AT 440MLa is a truly musical cart. Worth the extra few bucks. Do some hunting on Audio Asylum's Vinyl page. Amazing resource there. A bunch of folks (men and women!) who love vinyl and are not greedy about it! I've learned a ton on there and met the only person I trust to work on my Dual 1219 turntable on that site.

I still find that best place to get used records is still in garage sales and thrift stores. Sure, I go to other lengths to bid top dollar for rarities, but if you like the idea of happening upon something, break for yard sales!

On the note of finding vinyl that's not available on CD, I recently started to wish for a way to hear certain CDs I have on vinyl - ones that were made only in the CD era. I have a few, like Sarah McLachlan's Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, which sound amazing! But I can think of about 100+ CDs I'd wish were made in the vinyl era. I believe that the original format albums were made for are usually how they sound best. But I wonder what some albums would sound like if mastered for vinyl listening.

Just some thoughts as I strayed away from the stereo for a moment.

Zoë

The more you love music, the more you love music.
ZG #194833 02/03/08 01:44 AM
OP Offline
ACK! Too late!

I just ordered the Technics and Shure....! That's OK, I'm "shure" I'll be happy!

MarkSJohnson #194834 02/03/08 01:52 AM
ZG Offline
veteran
veteran
Ha-ha! Well, once you get really bitten - like after you have everything set up and your favorite record moves you to tears (yes, tears) you'll order an AT 440MLa. I'm 'Shure' of it! ;\)

ZG #194836 02/03/08 02:13 AM
ZG Offline
veteran
veteran
Spinning Edie Brickell's Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars on vinyl. It's a good album, but a little weak on all formats, which leads me to believe it was just not very well produced in the first place. Nothing like 2003's Volcano - which is definitely on that list of CDs I'd like to hear on vinyl.

After this I'll play her husband's Graceland lp. After that I think I'll need to hear some jazz.

ZG #194838 02/03/08 02:22 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I like Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars, but I haven't listened to it since getting my Axioms. I also have Volcano, but I only listened to it once or twice, and I didn't get into it. I'll have to give it another try.

CV #194839 02/03/08 02:24 AM
ZG Offline
veteran
veteran
Definitely give Volcano another go. It's really one of the best albums to come out of that year. I play it about once a week on average.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters