Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: What was your first record?
jakewash #196696 02/17/08 05:25 AM
aficionado
aficionado
My first record: "Born to be wild" a 45, by Steppenwolf.
My first LP record: "Blues Theme" by Davie Allan & the Arrows.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
LT61 #196721 02/17/08 04:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey, Chess, my first LP was Kenny Rogers, The Gambler also! My Mom steered me toward that one when I told her I wanted it or the Village People.

My second LP was the Best of Blondie.

Mostly in my house we did 8-tracks, as my folks belonged to Columbia House or RCA, or somesuch. My first 8-track was a Sesame Street one that I played until it snapped.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #196746 02/17/08 07:10 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
AC/DC - Let there be rock
Boston
Pink Floyd - DSOTM

All bought at the same time I bought my first system, with my first ‘real’ paycheck and first stereo (techniques turntable, pioneer receiver and A/R speakers). I was 12 and was influenced by my sister’s 20 year old ‘cool’ boyfriend. He was cool because his car was cool and he let me drive it (a yellow 69 hemi roadrunner). He turned out not being so cool. I took a bat to him after he gave my sister a black eye. He did have a cool car and good taste in music though.

real80sman #196843 02/18/08 03:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
It seems to be AC/DC as the most popular 1st album on this thread, with the Rolling Stones as a close second.

Interesting that during the SARS concert in Toronto a few years a go most people I talked to said that AC/DC upstaged the Rolling Stones. I was in Winnipeg on a business trip at the time so I can't coment myself.

Funny how things work out.

I will keep and eye out for the Donnington concert.

Thanks for the tip.

paul

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #196851 02/18/08 04:26 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
I think it was Gary Numan- The Pleasure Principle when I was 9. Just for the song "cars".

ctown #196919 02/19/08 03:59 AM
kjs Offline
buff
buff
Oh my gosh, just got back in the country and was looking to see whats going on. Talking about bringing back memories. . .

First records were given to me by my dad. He gave me three if I promised to take good care of them. They were Booker T & The MG's, Nat King Cole and a Frank Sinatra album. They were older and he had them for a while. I was young but loved the music. Those were some of his fav's and I can remember standing in front of the Zenith console and loading all three of them up and listening, sitting with him on the sofa. After all of these years I still have one of them. From time to time I will pull it out and look at it remembering how much fun and joy they brought to me and Dad who's been gone for a while now. Anyway great albums, good memories.

First album that I bought was Frampton Comes Alive. First mastered album I purchased was Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon all played on my killer system. Sansui G-5700, Pioneer HPM 100's, Pioneer PL??? turntable with an Audio Technica cartridge . . . at least I think it was Audio Technica. Man did I get my $$ worth out of that system. Wish I still had the Sansui. OK, blame the sentimentality on the long plane ride :-)

kjs #197021 02/19/08 05:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

This is a great thread, and what follows is going to date me, but what the heck. . .

The first record I purchased was "Heartbreak Hotel" by Elvis Presley, on a 78 rpm single, in 1956. There was a cultural lag in southern Ontario small towns, and record stores were still selling 78 rpm shellac records as they transitioned to 45 rpm and LPs.

The next singles I bought were all 45 rpm: "Bye, Bye Love," by the Everly Brothers, and "Blueberry Hill (I found my thrill on. .) by Fats Domino, then "That'll Be the Day" and "Peggy Sue" by Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

The first LPs my older brother (by 6 years) Tom brought home were Louis Armstrong and the All-Stars, "Ambassador Satch," and Andre Previn doing a jazz treatment of songs from My Fair Lady. I credit Tom for instilling a love of traditional jazz in me when I was in my early teens that began with these LPs.

The first LP I bought was Bobby Darin's great record, "That's All," in 1959, which had the first really hip big band arrangements of standards like "Mack the Knife" and "Beyond the Sea". Those band arrangements still stand up today.

My parents gave me records when I was really little, but they were classically oriented, "Tubby the Tuba", a narrated story about all the instruments in the orchestra, and "Peter and the Wolf", with the great Prokofiev score. There was a lot of classical music in our home, so I tuned into that as well.

By the time I was 16, I had a driver's license and was going to see touring rock 'n' roll shows that came through Kitchener and London, Ontario. They all featured lots of American black doo-wop groups (The Silhouettes, The Del-Vikings, Frankie Lyman and the Teen-agers, The Platters) so I loved the tight harmonies, call and response arrangements and great black voices. That triggered a love of black, gospel-based music and performers that continues today.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #197037 02/19/08 06:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hands down, Alan wins. ;\)

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
alan #197088 02/19/08 11:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: alan
The next singles I bought were all 45 rpm: "Bye, Bye Love," by the Everly Brothers, and "Blueberry Hill (I found my thrill on. .) by Fats Domino, then "That'll Be the Day" and "Peggy Sue" by Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

Wasn't thinking of singles when I answered the question in the previous thread. Your post made me go look thru my singles and I ended up on a walk down memory lane. I had, and still have:

'62 - Memories of Maria/Invitation - Jerry Byrd
'59 - I Got Stripes/5 Feet High and Rising - Johnny Cash
'60 - Last Date/Sweetie Baby - Floyd Cramer
'58 - All I Have To Do is Dream - The Everly Brothers
'61 - Apache/Echo Boogie- Jorgen Ingmann
'61 - Asia Minor/Roy's Tune - Kokomo
'61 - Let There Be Drums - Sandy Nelson
'62 - Crying - Roy Orbison
'60 - Come Along Julie/Woman From Liberia - Jimmie Rodgers
'60 - Perfidia - The Ventures

I know I also had Santo & Johnny's Sleepwalk cuz I drove my parents nuts playing it over and over and over. Regrettably, that ones seems to have disappeared.

Any of those ring a bell with you, Alan?

Originally Posted By: alan
My parents gave me records when I was really little, but they were classically oriented, "Tubby the Tuba", a narrated story about all the instruments in the orchestra, and "Peter and the Wolf", with the great Prokofiev score. There was a lot of classical music in our home, so I tuned into that as well.

Yipes! I had Tubby The Tuba as well. I can still see the cover sleeve. Talk about a blast from the past, WOW!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
medic8r #197177 02/20/08 05:30 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Bay City Rollers all the way.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic