Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The final piece is in place - thanks to all!
#19744 09/18/03 08:07 PM
local
local
Why not simply hang the projector from the ceiling over the couch? As long as your ceilings aren't abnormally low you won't hit your head.

#19745 09/18/03 10:49 PM
tobz67 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Actually the thought crossed my mind. It's the garage so aside from heat issues, it would be pretty simple I think. I am in Phoenix so the garage could easily get 120 plus degrees on some summer days. As some have so graciously suggested, I can't mount it to the ceiling because of a ceiling fan. Again, Phoenix, there's no way that fan is coming down. I also have a pretty nice 4 coat faux finish applied to the walls that took about a week to paint so I'm hesitant about carving that up.

It's a one story house so the ceiling is an option, but that attic gets pretty damn hot (did I mention I live in Phoenix )

Right now I'm toying with the idea of building a oak box that could be stained to match the cove moulding along the ceiling and suspending it from the ceiling with some cables or pipe above the couch. Then run power into the box for an outlet that would power the projector and some low voltage lights mounted in the bottom of the box. Sort of a projector house - shelf - track lighting system all in one.

Sushi, don't worry about the duplicate suggestion, I'm grateful for the help.

#19746 09/18/03 11:02 PM
tobz67 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Or.....

In my situation, I could place the projector on the bottom shelf of an A/V rack, under the screen, facing the seating position then build a small mirror that could be placed on the floor blocking the lens of the projector from the seating position and reflecting the image to a screen above the projector.

This would enable the use of the retro-reflective screen you suggested - light path and audience are both on the same axis and the projector (with it's heat and noise) are the furtherest away from the seating position possible. Not to mention greatly reduced cable cost, because...the projector is right next to the rest of the A/V equipment!

Bingo! We have a winner!!!

#19747 09/18/03 11:08 PM
shareholder in the making
Sounds like a good plan, but you'd need to make sure that all seating positions had no line-of-sight to the lens. The glare would be significant.

#19748 09/18/03 11:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Toby,

Sorry but that winner idea will unlikely work. First, you have to place the mirror well into the middle of the room. Second, depending on the geometry of the projector/mirror/screen, the mirror size can be fairly large. Third, even though the mirror is on the direct light path, you will still be bothered by the scatter light coming from the projector that is facing right at you.

I still think the shelf mounting the projector right behind and above the main viewing position would be the best solution for you (unless you are serious about using the back room).

#19749 09/18/03 11:28 PM
Have you considered buying a projector with a short-throw lens? That might fix all your problems by allowing you to place the projector in front of you and facing the screen.

#19750 09/18/03 11:45 PM
tobz67 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Yeah, actually I have. If I didn't HAVE to leave the ceiling fan up this would all be very simple.

I'm basically trying to get by on the biggest bang for the buck until HD has more content and projector prices drop a bit. This is pretty much for movies and maybe the occasional football game. Most of the short throws seem to be in the $2500+ range. I'm trying to figure a way to get the X1 to work with the least headaches.

My house is less than ideal for this, but I just can't quite justify buying a monster RP tv or an inferior DLP/LCD RP, or plasma and still not being happy after spending $3k.

So the plan is save the $2k and have some fun now with a projector I'll likely use for outdoor movies or something in a couple years when prices for true HD projectors are more reasonalble.

#19751 09/18/03 11:50 PM
tobz67 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Darn, I was really getting excited there Masa. Thanks for the words of reason. I'm guessing that shooting for a 90" screen I'd be looking at a 45" mirror give or take right?

So close...

Okay, back to the shelf and pricey video cables it is.

Thank you.

#19752 09/19/03 12:03 AM
M
devotee
devotee
M
A gargae ? Great ! Just insulate the box on the garage side.. The open end would be open to the inside of the viewing room, so it would stay the same temp as the rest of the house.. And yes, just frame it to match the rooms moulding.. Power would probably be accessed from the garage, and the other cables could be routed up thru the attic, then into the garage side of the box.. Invisable ! Sweeeeet..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020