Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 94 of 101 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 100 101
Re: wine thread
chesseroo #397907 10/18/13 12:32 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Missed your post Chess. I haven't gone to Peller for a few years now. I'll have to give it a try next trip.

The weather was exceptional for this time of year: 18C and mostly sunny.

Went back to Calamus estates again as my dad really liked some of their wines. Last trip I thought they were good. This time I'm upgrading them to really good! Picked up a rose that is a blend of Gewürztraminer, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc. It has an awesome nose. I think what I like about a good Rose as that it has body and flavour approaching a red without any of the tanin pucker. Also picked up a 2010 Cab Sovignon that is really good. The nose has strong hints of resberry jam.

The deal of the day was a $9 '09 Merlot from Peninsula Ridge. It had a very full fruity nose and a very long smooth finish. An above average red at an incredible price!

We had an excellent lunch on the patio at Strewn. Their home made bread was amazing: 12 grain flavoured with fennel. I had a thin crust pizza with a tapanade base instead of tomato sauce, topped with goat cheese, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes and red pepper. I'm not a big fan of olives but this tapanade made for a really tasty base.

Unfortunately the wines there were not so good. Not really bad, but nothing exceptional either. With so many other wineries in the area (130+ now I'm told) OK is not good enough. I'll give them a pass in the future.

We went back to Lailey again where I picked up a very nice Riesling and an exceptional Chardonay. It was quite full bodied (for a white) with a very long and smooth finish.

We finished the tour at Reif Estate, apparently one of the oldest wineries in the Niagara region. I tried a 2012 Gewurztraminer that did not taste at all like a Gewurz at all. None of that spicy bite. It had a hint of a nutmeg in the finish. Quite unusual, but not something I would buy.

They did, however have an exceptional botrytis Riesling. The nose is the most unusual I have come across. I don't know how to describe it other than that there was no hint of the sweetness of the wine in it and the nose was completely different from the taste of the wine. It will be a hit at the family Christmas get together.

All in all it was a great day. smile

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
michael_d #397912 10/18/13 02:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
That sounds like a great run Fred.
Frankly if you go into Peller, there isn't much to try out IMO. Their wines have been somewhat generic tasting for some time, again, IMO, but this Signature Series chardonnay is a stand out and still lists in my top 3, right next to ...yep, that Lailey chardonnay to which you referred.
Sadly i cannot get it in Manitoba. They sold it here for a few months then it went onto the bin end shelves indicating a final clearance and no more purchases (although the LC keeps saying they can order special for people but i think there is extra cost).

Reif?
I tried a bunch of their offerings when i was last there. My impression was "unrefined wines".
They are known for the icewine but in S.Ont. who isn't?

So many more wineries yet to try on my travels.
I'll be in West Palm Beach in November but the best i can hope for with that trip is to find a nice pub. I'd rather be headed to Napa.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #397950 10/19/13 12:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
It was indeed a great day. I had the same impression as you of Peller. It shows how much the region has developed. 10 years ago I considered their offerings very good for Ontario.

Your observation of Reif is interesting. I was not impressed by either the regular Riesling or the Gewurz I tried there. Their Vidal ice wine was quite good though.

Fred

-------
michael_d #405974 07/06/14 07:16 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
For the Sauvignon Blanc lovers, I recommend the 2012 Cliff Lede. Considering the latest fad in Napa Valley right now (Sav Blanc and Rose), where some wineries are selling both for upwards of $150 a bottle, this Cliff Lede is an exceptional bargain at $25. I must have tasted a dozen or more Sav Blancs in Napa last April, many over $100 per bottle. This Cliff Lede is the underdog that kicks but.

michael_d #406010 07/09/14 01:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
You know, in all honesty, i'm going to seriously consider traveling to Napa with you some year.
I really am.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
michael_d #406012 07/09/14 05:45 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hey, I want to invite myself on that trip, too!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
michael_d #406019 07/09/14 04:08 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Well if you guys are interested, I am planning a trip to Paso this October. I'm actually tired of Napa. Napa has priced themselves out of comfort level. Seriously, it's stupid expensive any more, and they have been expensive for years. Used to be hard to find a cab sav under $50, now it's hard to find one under $100.

Paso however, has some good wine, and they are not stupid expensive, yet..... Well most are not anyway. Paso is less pretentious and more fun too. Lots of good food and you can do other stuff, like golf or visit a brewery or take a quick drive to the coast.

I also like Walla Walla, Washington. Not as pretty an area to visit though.

michael_d #406021 07/09/14 05:45 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
I recently heard a news article ref the ability, or lack thereof, for Canadian wine producers to 'export' their product domestically to other provinces. This is the legacy from laws enacted in the 1920s & 30s.

Seems that even after several years of trying to fix this ridiculous situation at the Federal level, these trade barriers still exist. BC has some of the finest wines, mostly produced in the south Okanagan Valley; however, they can't be sampled in Ontario & we can't get Niaqara wines out here.

Despite the best of intentions, the bureaucracy just seems to impede any kind of progress...

TAM

exlabdriver #406781 08/26/14 12:05 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Time to bring this thread back up to page 1.

I had a really nice Calamus Estate Cab Franc on Saturday. This is now one of my favourite Niagra wineries. Lots of good wines at very reasonable prices. The Cab Franc, at $20 is one of their more expensive offerings.

Yes TAM,Canadian inter-provincial trade barriers are just plain silly, but there is no political will to make changes.

Fred

-------
fredk #406791 08/26/14 06:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: fredk
Time to bring this thread back up to page 1.

I had a really nice Calamus Estate Cab Franc on Saturday. This is now one of my favourite Niagra wineries. Lots of good wines at very reasonable prices. The Cab Franc, at $20 is one of their more expensive offerings.

Yes TAM,Canadian inter-provincial trade barriers are just plain silly, but there is no political will to make changes.

I like Calamus a lot too! Tried and purchased some very tasty wines last week.

From Featherstone Estate we brought home a 2012 Gewurztraminer, 2013 Rose and a 2010 Cab Mer. From KEW Vineyards a 2012 Marsanne Viognier. From Vineland Estates a case of 2011 Chardonnay Musque (I prefer Cave Springs), and a bottle of a 2008 Riesling. At Peller a couple bottles of Ice Cuvee and at Trius Winery a bottle of their 2013 Showcase Outlier Gewurztraminer.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Page 94 of 101 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020