Print Thread
Rate Thread
CALIBRATION DVD
#200177 03/13/08 12:31 PM
cgolf Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I know this has been beat to death a bunch but when i did a search, I couldn't find any recommendations or suggestions. I have the Emotiva LMC-1 but have read that the test tones maybe aren't as accurate as those on a calibration disk. I am really more interested in the audio tones than I am in the video although I'll also use that piece. I can't imagine my HD being any better than it is but I know you can always tweek to get better.

So my question is--which of the disks do you recommend? Which have you used and how did they work? I've read reviews on a few of the Avia, VE, etc. but the reviews haven't been all that positive. I'm looking for one that is simple to use and doesn't cost a whole lot--aren't we all???

I've always just used the tones from my receiver and processors but what has me wondering is this. I just replaced my Emotiva LPA-1 amp with the new XPA-5 amp. The XPA is more powerful than the LPA but I'm runing a much higher volume now to get the same sound level. That doesn't make sense to me so I thought maybe the levels were off.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: CALIBRATION DVD
cgolf #200382 03/14/08 11:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Digital Video Essentials is reasonably priced, but considered to be more difficult to navigate. I agree that navigation is initially a bit tricky. But, once learned, it isn't all that difficult to work with.

AVIA II: Guide To Home Theater is more expensive, but allegedly easier to work with.

Here is a tutorial about, and comparison of these discs. The article is about the older versions of both discs, but the comparison likely still is valid.

AN INTRODUCTION TO TEST & CALIBRATION DVDS

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #200388 03/15/08 12:03 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks, Jack! I just realized we overlooked cgolf's question.

I use this from Sound and Vision, and I've also used the Avia disc that Ajax linked to. I prefer the audio portion of the S&V disc and I like the video portion of Avia.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
cgolf #200401 03/15/08 01:52 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Charles, for simply calibrating speaker levels with the aid of an SPL meter, the built-in test tones of receivers and processors are fine. Can't imagine how such a simple thing could be inaccurate on the LMC-1.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #200687 03/17/08 01:53 PM
cgolf Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Thanks for the input & advice. I don't know what happened on that one calibration but when I recalibrated, everything came out much tighter. Sometimes I get a fairly wide swing in adjustments. Don't know if it's outside noise, my meter, my eyes!! or what. It sounds pretty good right now so I'll leave it as is. The room is not the best because it opens up into the breakfast area and kitchen so it's one long room with no back wall. When I calibrate, I turn off the ceiling fan, the A/C, etc. so there is no other noise to interfere. The LMC test tones seem to work ok except for the sub tone but I adjust that by ear anyway.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044