Print Thread
Rate Thread
Please Help! What caused this problem?
#20240 09/19/03 03:05 AM
dajlc Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
I'm using a NADT761 receiver, Monitor Audio S8 speakers, JVC DVD Player. Have always been enjoying my music and movie dvds until it happens. All of a sudden.... the volume from the left speaker became very low. Thinking that the dvd was a dud, I played another but the problem remained. I then switched the left/right speaker connections to the receiver and the low volume moved to the right speaker instead of the left - indicating that my speakers are alright. I then played a cd and the problem disappeared! Everything sounded normal again!

Now, I'm no audiotech expert but following further advice from more experienced users, I did the following:-
- Cleared dust that might have accumulated in the receiver by using a can of compressed air.
- Rechecked all audio connections.

After all that, when I played the dvds, the problem comes on and off intermittently and it is really driving me crazy! Could someone please advise on what could be the cause of this problem? Is it my receiver or my dvd player? I'm desperate to get it fixed so that my life can be normal again.

Thanks

Last edited by dajlc; 09/19/03 03:09 AM.

dajlc
Re: Please Help! What caused this problem?
#20241 09/19/03 03:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you have another player ie. CD player or borrow another CD/DVD player from a friend. If it doesnt happen then its your receiver.

Did you ever plug that lower ports with those foam bungs. I found the Silver line sounded/imaged better with the lower ports plugged. The bass on those puppies at high level was a little overbearing the mids and highs.
Just try it out and see which you like it. It pretty much a personal preference from every individual.

Saturn

#20242 09/19/03 04:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In addition to Saturn's suggestion of trying another player...

Do you connect the player to the receiver via both digital and analog cables, and if so, do you use the analog connection when you listen to a CD? If this is the case, the culprit can be the receiver -- i.e., the analog input stage on the NAD may be going south intermittently.

Last edited by sushi; 09/19/03 04:51 AM.
#20243 09/19/03 04:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i had a very similar problem on my NAD C370 one day after i moved the amp the left channel went very very weak. and if i would tap the amp it would kick back in, go on and off. so i sent it in for repair. at first they said there wasnt anything wrong and i thought that might happen so i made them send it back and take a look at it again and sure enough, they said the volume was faulty. This may be completely different than what your experiencing but if you are still under warranry send it in for service.

That happened about a year and a half ago and its still going strong since, and i have mived it several times. come to think of it, my warranty ran out a month or so ago too.

Last edited by Haoleb; 09/19/03 04:33 PM.
#20244 09/23/03 01:48 AM
dajlc Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Saturn, Sushi & Haoleb,

Thanks, guys, for helping me out. Following your suggestions, I confirmed that my receiver was sick and I have taken it to a NAD technician to have it fixed. Meanwhile, I'm having the shakes from severe audio withdrawal symptoms. By the way, I tried plugging the lower ports with bungs but still prefer the sound without them as I have no problem with the bass at all.

NAD has always maintain a solid reputation for its stereo production and this becomes so painfully obvious when I listen to my music with a standby receiver.

Sigh.....

dajlc

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup