Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Axiom or Aperion
skubic #202445 03/29/08 05:03 PM
shareholder in the making
Absolutely! Now, you won't get wood finish unless you pay extra for it, but there you are. The less final cost that goes into the finish, the more final cost that goes into the sound reproduction.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
skubic #202446 03/29/08 05:06 PM
M
M
I'd have to see the Aperions in order to compare build quality. The only complaint I have about the Axioms is the possibility of damaging the vinyl on the corners if they are moved around a lot. This isn't a concern for most but if you plan on moving them from one place to another for auditions, expect some cosmetic damage. I would expect this to be the case for all vinyl-finished speakers.

As for the 1" HDF, this is not necessarily better. HDF is more dense than MDF and hence it has a higher resonant frequency. The ear is less sensitive to distortion at lower frequencies than higher.

Ultimately, graphs and listening tests are the best way to compare. Where are the graphs for the Aperions?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #202447 03/29/08 05:12 PM
Now, of course I'm biased, but my general impression of the Aperions (just from reading other people's impressions) is that they're not quite up to the same audio standard as Axiom or Ascend. Never hear much about Ascend any more around these parts... Curtis, where art thou?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #202450 03/29/08 05:21 PM
S
skubic Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
S
I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comment about build quality. that certainly wasn't my intention. Anyway, I agree with kcarlile, that I'd rather put my money into sound reproduction than fit and finish. Perhaps the Aperion folks continue to fall back on the build quality because they are secretly dissatisfied with the sound...but it sure is a nice piece of furniture.

skubic #202455 03/29/08 06:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As a group, I've found people here aren't too easily offended. I think you're safe. ;\)

In my case, I'd (selfishly) vote for you to buy the Aperions, do an Axiom audition to compare, and then write up a grand comparison review that we could all enjoy. \:\)

Hearing an opinion of someone who has done a direct comparison is always very interesting. The only downside to that plan is that if you're like me, I would so loathe packing up & sending back the speakers that once I had them, there would have to be a massive difference for me to consider any other option. (but that might just be me... I'm lazy like that)

On build quality and general appearance, if you like high gloss finishes, I'd recommend you do some searches in this forum for high gloss cherry. (or follow the link in my signature). I can tell you that appearance wise, these are some of the most beautiful speakers I've ever seen. WAF is off the charts.

Good luck with your comparisons. I'm sure we all look forward to hearing what you decide.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #202456 03/29/08 06:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
By the way, where do you live? (I didn't see a post in the audition area yet...) \:\)

Mojo #202461 03/29/08 06:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Mojo

Ultimately, graphs and listening tests are the best way to compare. Where are the graphs for the Aperions?

Sound & Vision did a review of the Aperion system in July of last year... I found some graphs here.

The full review is here.

When I read this review compared to the Axiom review from S&V in November of 2007, it seems that the Aperions received more reserved praise than did the Axioms (though in general Aperion still got good marks). Admittedly, this was two different reviewers and not an A/B comparison, but I think it's worth reading both reviews to see what pros/cons are mentioned about both systems.

Note also that the Axiom Epic 80:500 picked up the Editor's Choice award for last year (if that kind of thing holds any sway over you) \:\)

Sorry if this sounds biased... I honestly tried not to be, but I just can't help it, I love my Axioms. \:\) Enjoy the reviews, please keep us posted on your decision process.

Last edited by myrison; 03/29/08 06:24 PM.

myrison #202462 03/29/08 06:33 PM
S
skubic Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
S
Nice HT setup Jason. I live in Frederick, MD and I haven't placed a post for an audition yet. I'll wait until I get the Aperions, if that's how I decide I want to go. I, like you, am not sure if I have the intestinal fortitude to rebox speakers and send them back. Plus, the Aperions I would want are on backorder and wouldn't ship until 4/14.

I have heard some in the Aperion forum (that I am actively participating in right now also) say they listened to the Axioms and found them to be to "bright." I'm new to this arena so I'm not sure I know how to fully interpret that [I equate "bright" with harsh or tinny], but I'm looking for a speaker system with a nice warm sound. Do you believe the Axioms would fit that bill?

Part of me knows the only way I'll ever know for sure which I like better is to try both. But, the other part just wants to buy speakers and move on and not have to worry about sending one set back. For me, the quad-pole surrounds just might be what sends me completely over the fence into Axiom's back yard. What are your impressions of the QS8's?

Lastly, I see you have the Epson 1080 UB pro. How do you like it. I was planning to buy the 1080 UB (no pro version). How's the picture quality? I would presume when watching HD content either via DVD or satellite/cable, the picture is great, right? What about non-HD content?

Thanks.

myrison #202465 03/29/08 06:38 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I was also considering Aperion when I decided I needed new speakers. The free shipping both ways, CNET reviews, aesthetics, snazzy website, and the fact that they're based in the US were compelling details, but in the end, it seemed like Axiom was more serious about audio science and had the background to prove it. I never got around to hearing the Aperions, even though I have a friend who lives in Portland. I would still like to sometime. Anyway, I like supporting Axiom's philosophy, and I've been very happy with the performance.

skubic #202467 03/29/08 06:42 PM
M
M
As I suspected from Jason's graph post above, the mid-range appears to be depressed on the Aperions. What this translates to is a more "laid back" sound. This means that the vocals will tend to sound like they are behind the plane of the speakers rather than in the plane or slightly in front.

Judging by the graphs, the Aperions will give you a "warmer" sound but it will be grossly inaccurate compared to the 80s and won't give you the large soundstage that the 80s will which extends well beyond the speaker boundaries with the right placement and the right recordings.

I prefer my sound to be more forward and correct. Warm and laid back is fine for background listening.

Lets us know what you think. I personally love my 80s and my wife, who is musically inclined but couldn't really care less about speakers, prefers them to all others that we've auditioned in blind testing.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,087 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup