Rate Thread
Page 3 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 38 39
Re: Fitness Thread
terzaghi #203097 04/03/08 11:27 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Sleep? If I get five hours, I’m doing good. It’s usually four or less.

Michael,

My girlfriend has been cooking dinners from Cooking Light magazine. She just picks the meals out that have a fat content of less than 30%. I drink a protein shake before bed to make up for any lack there may be with those meals. I’ve been very impressed with how good some of the recipes are in that magazine.

Glad to hear you kicked the smoking habit. I kicked chewing tobacco last year after going through a can ever two or three days for the past thirty years or so. What a bitch it’s been to not cave. I made a deal with my girlfriend’s sister who got in a bad car accident. She broke her neck and was paralyzed from the neck down. I made a deal that if she could shake my hand, I’d quit. Four months later she shook my hand. She’s walking on her own now. She’ll probably be running marathons again in another year, knowing her.

Jason,

That’s why I say it’s a way of life and not a program. I’m in my 40’s now and I can feel the effect. I don’t recover as fast anymore and I can’t lift near as much or run as fast, but I still give it a hell of go. I have no choice to keep it up or start sporting a set of moobs. Plus, when I’m out of shape, I feel horrible and my demeanor turns horrible for anyone around me. If my cloths don’t fit, I’m uncomfortable and I just feel like crap all around. The downside is it’s a down right pain in the ass to find cloths that fit. I can’t imagine how hard it must be for the pro body builders….

michael_d #203099 04/03/08 11:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
She broke her neck and was paralyzed from the neck down. I made a deal that if she could shake my hand, I’d quit. Four months later she shook my hand. She’s walking on her own now. She’ll probably be running marathons again in another year, knowing her.

Mike, I'm glad to hear she is doing better! Also, kudos to you for giving up the chewing tobacco.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
michael_d #203104 04/04/08 12:25 AM
J
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
J
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
Sleep? If I get five hours, I’m doing good. It’s usually four or less.
Try to make it 6 and see if it helps with the recovery or are you like me and it just can't happen. I know on the odd day I do get about 6 I feel great.

Quote:
Four months later she shook my hand. She’s walking on her own now. She’ll probably be running marathons again in another year, knowing her.
If that isn't incentive to push yourself to be a better all around person, I don't know what would be. Glad to hear she has come that far.

Quote:

That’s why I say it’s a way of life and not a program. I’m in my 40’s now and I can feel the effect. I don’t recover as fast anymore and I can’t lift near as much or run as fast, but I still give it a hell of go. I have no choice to keep it up or start sporting a set of moobs. Plus, when I’m out of shape, I feel horrible and my demeanor turns horrible for anyone around me. If my cloths don’t fit, I’m uncomfortable and I just feel like crap all around. The downside is it’s a down right pain in the ass to find cloths that fit. I can’t imagine how hard it must be for the pro body builders….

You hit the nail on the head. You have described how I have felt for about a year now(luckily no moobs yet) and the nagging shoulder injuries just won't go away, partial rotator cuff tears numerous times over the years. Now when I push the shoulders a little too hard they swell up and it just won't go away. I have also been having trouble with my feet and as a mechanic they get no rest what so ever, well except when posting. I am lucky in that I really have no need for good fitting clothes, jeans and T-shirt are about as good as I need. Pro-body builders can get away with being in sweat pants and T-shirts 95% of the time and the rest is tailored to fit, they have it easy, at least until they retire\:\).

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #203113 04/04/08 04:34 AM
M
M
I was extremely active until about 10 years ago. I trained most of my life in Choy Lee Fut & Chut Sing Tong Long although I did try Eagle Claw and Northern Dragon styles and didn't take to them very well. Then job stress got to me and I went down hill.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the terrible effects of job-related stress. Since I quit my job I've been feeling and looking a lot better. And I've managed to get back into working out. Maybe some day I'll have the energy to pick up the weapons again and start swinging \:\) .

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #203114 04/04/08 05:46 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I have some Bose speakers you could practice with ;\)

But you are correct, stress is a problem as well, which relates back to the whole sleep theme, as the body reacts to sleep deprivation pretty much the same way as job stress or any other stressors. It can, and usually will add fat especially when not eating in a healthy manner.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
michael_d #203115 04/04/08 06:25 AM
Mike, I'm so happy to hear of Lisa's recovery. When you told us of her terrible accident and that the surgeon stated that she was paralyzed from the neck down and that there was little chance that she'd ever walk again, it was certainly distressing news about such an active young woman. You requested our prayers, and I certainly remembered Lisa in my prayers at Mass, as I'm sure that many more of our members did as well. Great to hear that her fighting spirit and God's help has brought her through this.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Mojo #203116 04/04/08 09:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the terrible effects of job-related stress.

Stress effects people differently. I lead a high stess life for 15 years and it burned me out.

My grandmother, on the other hand, survived the second world war in Germany as a jew, somehow mannaged to avoid concentration camps, stole food from the Russian army and laughed her ass of telling us about it when we were kids.

I now enjoy 8 hours of blessed sleap a night. If stuff dosn't get done, it dosn't get done. I managed to put myself in a job that I can leave behind completely every day. I am a mucho happy person now.

On all that food stuff, I'm surprised that Jason is about the only one that talked about veggies. I remember reading about some research where the diet consisted of fruit vegies and nuts period. Cholesterol levels in all the subjects dropped to low levels within two weeks of starting the diet and most reported having much more energy... and gas small nicks cuts and bruises also healed much more quickly. We need to have a high vegitable intake to get all those micro-nutrients and anti-oxidents that we need so much to remain healthy.

Now 'scuse me pfffft... I have a hankering for some carrots.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #203123 04/04/08 01:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
mmmmmm.....veggies.....

I actually like veggies, even brussel sprouts. My family, however, likes fruits. So there is a conflict there. It isn't that I don't like some fruits, but they are things like apples, oranges, watermelon, and bananas. My youngest is pretty much a carrot and corn (from my wife's uncle's farm) eater. My oldest will eat a little more veggies, like some green beans. Everyone likes starchy potatoes. My wife is corn, green beans, and maybe peas.

I usually finish off the veggies that others don't eat.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #203130 04/04/08 04:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I love fruits but I usually wont take the time to peel and orange or chew on an apple so I usually toss them into the blender with my protein shakes. Veggies we try to eat a serving with every meal.

Many of you have taken coffee out of your diets and that's not necessarily a good thing, coffee and tea are great antioxidants as well as stimulants to help kick your metabolism into fat burning mode, I drink a max of 2 cups a day of either and it has really helped me on those hard start days.

We had a great meal last night, I love BLT's so we subsitituted bacon with Turkey bacon (50% of the fat) low fat miracle whip, lettuce, avocado ( if your going to eat fat avocado is one of the best sources) tomato, jalapeno rings, low fat provolone cheese on toasted 1 gram of fat whole wheat bread.
Absolutely delicious, as a side we had a can of Campbell's Tomato soup with some extra oregano and pepper mixed in. The whole family loved it and it's not a gut buster.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #203140 04/04/08 06:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Last nights supper: Lentil stew, big salad
Night before: Stir fry, 1/2 green pepper, small onion, handful of baby carrots, bok choy, 1/2 portabello mushroom a little chicken and a little rice.

My favourite chilly has maybe 2oz of ground beef per serving consisting mostly of carrots, corn, peas, zuchini...

I love veggies!!

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 3 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 38 39

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters