Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Basement water damage, waterproofing
#207538 05/09/08 01:20 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
We had a deluge here overnight, over 4" by our rain gauge, and I just got a call from my wife that water has entered our basement. There is a patch of wet carpet extending about 3 feet in from the exterior door. The tile floor just inside the door is dry (no standing water), so it looks like the water is either coming up through the floor or, more likely, through the door.

This had happened in times of heavy rain in the past as well, but in our unfinished basement, it was not a major concern. Now that the basement is finished, it's a big problem. Nothing is in the HT (different room in basement), so the Axioms are fine, but I gotta take action!

Lesson learned - take care of problems before they get big.

Anyway, my wife's on her way to Home Depot to get a Shop-Vac and some kind of drying agent. She's gonna put fans down there and keep the dehumidifier running. I offered to come home and help, but she wisely said to stay here and earn the money that we'll need to fix the problem, that she'll take care of the basement water. She's a trooper, my wife.

I've called some waterproofing companies to get someone out to the house to see what we have to do to prevent this from happening in the future. Also, I've hit the web for info, as I'm not that practical/knowledgeable about home repair. What I have learned is:

* most likely we have a drainage problem, i.e. rainwater/groundwater is not being driven away from the house as it should.

* this probably is a consequence of

1. our gutters needing a cleaning so that they'll not overflow and dump water over their edge
2. our gutter spouts needing to be run further away from and downhill from the house
3. the area around our basement door needing a better-defined slope away from the house

What I worry about is the water under the carpet; i.e. will I need to replace the whole thing? Also, on the other half of the basement, there may be water under the hardwood floor.

Anybody been through this kind of thing and/or have any advice? Any info is much appreciated.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Re: Basement water damage, waterproofing
medic8r #207554 05/09/08 02:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I can't offer much advice as I've not had this specific problem. One of the few things that hasn't happened to my home. As someone who's had several roofing issues, however, I hate water problems. HATE. I feel your pain...

I'm not an expert in this by ANY means. I'm not the handiest with home repairs either, so take my opinions very lightly. I'm sure others with far more experience will chime in.

The options that the basement people recommended sound reasonable to me. I'd think that the important thing would be to figure out how the water is getting in. Not knowing the topography and layout of your home, it's hard to say. If there's a large standing pool of water on the other side of that door, and your basement is lower than that pool, that's a problem as the water will find a way in. IMHO you need to figure out whether it's seeping ground water or if it's a drainage issue. Drainage might be solvable by simply checking your gutters. Maybe one has separated from the house and letting watter pour against the foundation. Or full of leaves and twigs, as you mentioned. Something simple like that. Seepage might be more difficult to track down, if it's truly an issue of ground water seeping in.

Mold can be a bad thing. You've got to be really sure that you get everything as dry as possible. Otherwise you'll never get rid of the 'mildewey' smell. Worse, there can be health concerns as well. At the very least, I'd do a really thourough shampoo job on the entire area. Rent one of those powerful rug-doctor machines if you don't own a good steamer vac. I don't know if you'd really have to replace all of it or not. If you can get it clean & dry in a reasonable amount of time my guess would be that you'd be ok, so long as it doesn't become a chronic problem.

I don't know what to say about the hardwood flooring. Mold is also an issue there but I'd think that warping would be a problem too. Is there any way you can pull up a strip or two to check for moisture? Easier said than done, I imagine. My fear would be that a thin layer of water could get trapped under the boards and spread out over a huge area. Leaving that damp is a welcome invitation for future problems with warping, mold, maybe even termites. \:\(

Seriously, good luck. You'll figure it out. These sorts of things always cause me a lot of stress and grief when they happen. But I have learned that it will all be ok in the end. You just have to keep a cool head and have some patience.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
medic8r #207555 05/09/08 02:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado
The main thing, is to know where ALL the places that got wet are.
I do know that anything that does not entirely dry relatively fast, could cause mold.......now THAT'S a big problem.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
PeterChenoweth #207557 05/09/08 03:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We had issues at our old place. There was a crack coming down from the windows and we had water streaming thru, so it looked as if the wall had a stream of pee coming out of it (just not yellow of course!) We also had some seepage along the floor. They came in and fixed the cracks, redid the drainage system, and put in a drain so water in the window well would go down and out to the sump pump as well. It was fine ever since. Cost was a bit over $2k if I recall.

Zarak #207569 05/09/08 03:39 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Bad luck, man. Hope you guys get it worked out.

--Ken

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #207592 05/09/08 05:02 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks, everyone.

Peter is right - the aggravation is the worst part, now! I hate being at work where I can't even see the problem. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I'm picturing. Then again, it may be worse.

We've got a water removal company coming out to zap it all with their equipment, and give a look-see to try to pin down the source.

Will keep you guys posted.

medic8r #207596 05/09/08 05:56 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Weeping tile and a sump pump are usually the first calls to arms here... if it's coming up from the slab, then maybe your weeping tile is plugged or has some other issue.

As for water on a carpet - just so happens my first job (as soon as I could pass for 16 - when I was 12 or so) was working with my dad and his carpet cleaning business. For clean water, just get the carpet and underlay as dry as possible, it dries without mold very well by itself (after all, steam extraction cleaning leaves it wet, too)...

You may end up with a water mark where the puddle was... or a slight... not musty, but that kind of smell. Water marks can be cleaned by hiring a carpet cleaner to come out and do the carpet, and the best offense against the smell is any of the N*Odor products (Nilodor, N'Odor, etc)... failing that, Febreze is actually a pretty good (if more "consumer") backup.

The main problem is getting the water out of the underlay... the big commercial vacs we used did it no problem, but they also looked like a taller version of R2D2. With a shop vac, take any attachments off, and use the end of the hose perpendicular to the carpet and suck the living hell out of it... it's got to pull that water up through the carpet backing and carpet yarn from the underlay.

Bren R.

BrenR #207605 05/09/08 06:18 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Hey, thanks, Bren.

We have a sump pump, and as far as I can tell, it works (no puddles around it). The weird thing is that it looks like a HVAC condensation drain empties into another area that is not connected to the sump pump, and that is an area of puddling. Stupid contractors. We'll get that fixed.

Yeah, I figured that the carpet would be a tough one. I wonder if I should pull it up and vacuum from the underside?

medic8r #207610 05/09/08 07:02 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
No worries - Mister Flood is on the case.

medic8r #207619 05/09/08 07:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
JP, I feel for you, I had American leak detection come to my house yesterday because my wife thought she could hear water running somewhere. Looks like I've sprung a leak in a hot water pipe under the slab. My weekend will be spent with a jackhammer trying to get to the pipe and repairing it. Really ruins the whole day.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters