Print Thread
Rate Thread
Speaker replacement... need suggestions
#207709 05/10/08 04:38 PM
B
BrianT Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Greetings all and thanks in advance for any advice you are about to offer.

I currently have a Definitive Technologies ProCinema 100 home theater bundle which is about 10 years old now. Been very happy with them, but I am starting to spruce up the house (right now it still looks like it did when I moved in 8 years ago - aside for the 50" Pioneer Plasma mounted on the wall - of course - I have priorities!!). The system is setup in my living room and I wall mounted the Def Tech's and they still sound good (even though I have calibrated them) but the problem is they look HUGE on the wall - mostly because of how far they stick out into the room (almost 7-7.5 inches).

I found axiom through the avsforums about a year ago when I started buying new toys and for some reason, I always find myself back here reading through the forums.

So my question to you is this, what Axioms should I look to replace the Def Techs with? I like the idea of the in-wall/on-wall's for the front, so I am leaning in that direction.

Some specs on the room and my equipment:

Receiver: Rotel RSX-1057 (5.1 setup)
TV: Pioneer PDP-5070 plasma
Other Equip: Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player (doh)
custom HTPC using optical cable

Room Size: 13 feet 6 inches wide
15 feet 3 inches deep

Note: right down the center of the wall where the TVs is a major stud (actually 3 - 2x4s) so I will have to flush mount my center channel.

Here is a link to a PDF drawing of the room done in Google SketchUp (my first shot, so that is why it stinks!)

The plan is to use this setup for another 12-24 months and then transition to a different house that will hopefully have a room that I can use as a dedicated theater room -- so please keep that in mind as you are making suggestions.

And finally, while budget is not unlimited, I would rather spend a little more money for something that will serve me for a while longer than to save a buck or three now and end up with them not being happy.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

P.S. Since I am painting this weekend, I decided I am not going to remount my speakers until I decide what I am going to do!!

Re: Speaker replacement... need suggestions
BrianT #207750 05/11/08 02:17 AM
shareholder in the making
Brian, welcome. It's a bit surprising that the speakers which stick out about 7" would look "huge", but nevertheless it's certainly true that the Axiom W series, besides giving you significantly better sound, would protrude less. The suggestion would be to consider three W22s positioned vertically across the front, but if the 2x4s under the screen that you mention would prevent the in-wall mounting(isn't there enough space between the 2x4s?)some other center would have to be used, but then it would stick out more, which is what you don't want.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #207758 05/11/08 05:10 AM
B
BrianT Offline OP
OP Offline
B
John,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the speakers don't look huge really, just awkward and over bearing. Or maybe I am just making excuses for myself to justify ordering new speakers. :>) I like the "finished" look of the axioms without them actually being "in wall" speakers.

Why three W22s as opposed to getting a VP100/W100 or VP150/W150?

And the studs are approximately as follows centered on the wall (where each | indicates a stud)

| 8 inches ||| 8 inches |

The TV is centered on the wall so trying to mount a W22/W150 would only be practical if I built a "box" to mount it in. Plus, I am not as worried about the center channel extending from the wall as I have my TV on an articulating mount which has it sticking out pretty far from the wall so doing a VP100/V150 isn't really an issue.

John, based on room size and equipment should I be looking at the QS4s or QS8s?

Thanks,
Brian

BrianT #207762 05/11/08 06:04 AM
Brian, keep in mind that the actual in-wall part of the W22s(which would have to avoid the studs)is only about 3.1" wide, so this might make the installation possible even if slightly off-center.

The reason for my preferring a vertical W22(or M22)is the generally wider and smoother horizontal dispersion it has compared to a horizontal MTM configuration(I've not heard a VP150).

In that size room the QS4s should be plenty, but I note that you mention a future room, so the possibility of it being significantly bigger should be considered.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020