what to look for in an engagement ring?
#212973 06/25/08 05:13 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Well, any diamond shopping tips?

Stores to stay away from?

-David
Re: what to look for in an engagement ring?
terzaghi #212974 06/25/08 05:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Couldn't you make one out of a titanium tweeter?

Congrats on the engagement!

Might warrant a new thread: "To whom are you proposing tonight?" ;\)

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #212978 06/25/08 05:23 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
well, it is still a work in progress...

I am not one to impulse buy expensive items, so just doing some preliminary research

-David
terzaghi #212983 06/25/08 05:46 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Take her shopping and get ideas of what she likes, then just go purchase it, if you make your own mind up it won't be right.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #212988 06/25/08 05:55 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

For sure she has to pick it out.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

terzaghi #212990 06/25/08 06:02 PM
D
veteran
veteran
D
Congratulations!!

Lots of research. Can be terrifying - it's an exciting experience and you should know as much as possible before you sink the most $$$ you have ever spent into the smallest thing you have ever bought! Outside of the birth of my kids, getting engaged is one of my fondest memories.

Learn the 4 C's: Cut, Color (or Colour), Clarity, Carat

Find your budget. Stick to it.

Find out what type of setting and cut your girlfriend prefers. If you are to the point where you are thinking of marriage you may have some idea of what she wants.

Learn how to use a loupe and look at many, loose stones from as many jewelers as you can. The jeweler will tell you the carat, color and clarity, of each stone you look at and if the stones are IGA certified then you'll have a definitive "grade' on the c's of the stone. The more diamonds you look at, the better you will be able to ascertain the quality (you won't be an expert, but you will feel much more comfortable).

This is important because, a lot of jewelers will have you pay a "premium" for IGA certified stones due to the cost of the certification. Many jewelers may be wholesalers as well and have stones that they buy and grade themselves, which they will be able to offer to you at a lower/better price.

If you decide to buy an uncertified diamond, ask if you can take it to an appraiser before the sale is final. A $100 dollars or so for an appraisal is a great deal so that you are certain you are getting what you paid for. If the jeweler is reluctant to allow an appraisal or refuses, drop it like it's hot and do NOT give them your business.

Never look at already set stones, except for ideas re stone and setting.

I would stay away from the chain jewelers. Staff knowledge will be limited and in the end you will probably not get as good as price to value ratio. Also, they will rake you over the coals for setting costs, that's where they get their biggest margins. A simple (meaning plain) 14k white or yellow gold setting should not be more than $100 - $200. Platinum is more.

I was fortunate in Chicago because I could go to Jeweler's Row and in 1 building visit approx. 100 jewelers/wholesalers. I probably went to 20 places and decided on a jeweler.

In fact, there are two that I have developed a relationship with over the years because, that ring is NOT the last piece of jewelry you will buy ;\) There are always anniversary gifts, birthday gifts, and birthing gifts to follow and having a good relationship with a reputable jeweler will help you get the deals, on the earrings, necklaces, bracelets, etc...... (it never ends!)

Ask friends or relatives who have bought jewelry for references, or see if there is an area similar to Jeweler's Row in Tulsa.

Good luck and congrats again!

Last edited by DL30; 06/25/08 06:28 PM. Reason: Duh. You are in Tulsa not OK City

DL
DL30 #212992 06/25/08 06:12 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Great info, thanks.
Man, if only I knew about this board when I was shopping for an engagement ring 10 years ago!
It was a bad experience for me because I didn't do my homework.

oh and congratulations!!

Last edited by JaimeG; 06/25/08 06:13 PM.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
JaimeG #212999 06/25/08 06:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ditto what DL said.

Try looking around for a smaller, mom and pop type ring shop to go looking first. Go in on a weekday (when it's less busy) or better yet - make an appointment. Be VERY up front about your budget. Then, let them educate you. Using DL's cheat sheet above, you'll know if the jeweler has his or her stuff together.

DON'T BUY A RING THAT DAY. They'll usually hold a couple of rings for you for a couple of days. Also, with rings, while every stone is different, value will be comparable. That is, price vs. cut, quality, size, clarity, etc. will usually be pretty consistent when you're talking about the same jeweler. They can usually print you out the gem certificate that you can use to compare prices at other ring shops, too.

Then, go check out the big box type jewelers and other mom and pop shops for comparisons, always referring back to that original certificate to remember those specs vs. price.

Bottom line, though, is to have fun shopping for a ring. What an exciting time. Depending on your girl, she may want to be involved in the ring shopping, too. So, no reason you've got to be the lone wolf on this one.

And last. Don't be afraid to ask lots and lots of questions. You probably asked more before you bought a couple of hundred dollar set of speakers. Why should it be any different when you buying a couple of thousand dollars worth of carved rock?

Capn_Pickard #213002 06/25/08 06:43 PM
D
veteran
veteran
D
Agreed. Thanks for expanding on the info Capn!

That is funny about buying a ring that day - you so want to pull the trigger! Must..... resist......!

DL
Capn_Pickard #213005 06/25/08 06:54 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Ditto again what DL said.

One piece of personal preference of mine... I hate solitaires that sit "proud" of the ring, the first one I gave out was like that... nothing like having the world's hardest mineral raked across your chest while you're both sleeping. Looked like I accidentally fell asleep on a badger hole.

Lisa's we had the band custom made... it's a false tension mount - looks like one but has hidden... uh, clasps? Is that the word? Most of the cost is the diamond (again, which I think is weird, since diamonds and glass pretty much look the same to me - but I'm a guy - and the ring is what you really see) so having a custom band designed isn't exactly a deal breaker on a big ticket item.

Bren R.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020