Rate Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Speaker wire with new Axioms
terzaghi #213016 06/25/08 08:26 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
yeah, I went and picked up my speakers from DHL on my lunch hour... took two trips to fit them all in my jeep, I just couldnt squeeze the ep500 in with everything else

FEDEX showed up around lunchtime. I now have the M60s and VP100 setup and I'm playing one of those techno Internet channels with the hard driving bass to loosen em up In the other room becasue I can't stand that kind of music but it seems harsh enough to break em in with.

I haven't had time to run the auto setup or anything yet but I did listen to a couple of songs before I came back to my home office to finish out the workday. I can officially say that "For Abbey" by Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters sounds great!

If I go to the manual setup I have it set to Large fronts but if I go look at Auto Setup>Parameter Check> Speaker Configuration Check, that section still shows the fronts as small. Is that because I haven't rerun the Audyssey setup?

You might notice my wife already wants to set her vases on them. Oh well it's not real plants and there is protection under them so they won't scratch the speaker tops. Will having something like that affect the speaker sound?

Last edited by edmondwolfman; 06/25/08 09:09 PM.

"Real Gun Control Is Hitting What You Aim At" - can't remember
edmondwolfman #213020 06/25/08 09:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Lookin good. Setting your fronts to small, rather than large, diverts the sub-80Hz frequency sound to your subwoofer. Even with a set of "large" speakers, it's a good idea to let your sub (especially your EP) do the heavy low end lifting. Set them to SMALL and put your cross over between 75 and 100 Hz.

And no, besides hurting my eyes, the plants shouldn't affect your listening enjoyment.

Oops - just noticed you might not have a sub. If you don't, then leave them to LARGE. My comments about the plants remain unedited.

Last edited by Capn_Pickard; 06/25/08 09:14 PM.
Capn_Pickard #213022 06/25/08 09:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
keep in mind that with the 3808 there is two seperate places to adjust speaker size. One is for surround mode and the other is for direct/stereo 2 channel listening.

If it is set up with audessey It should change them both, but if you do things manually be sure and keep that in mind.

Also, I don't see how the vase could impact the sound at all.

-David
Capn_Pickard #213024 06/25/08 09:18 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Capn_Pickard
Lookin good. Setting your fronts to small, rather than large, diverts the sub-80Hz frequency sound to your subwoofer. Even with a set of "large" speakers, it's a good idea to let your sub (especially your EP) do the heavy low end lifting. Set them to SMALL and put your cross over between 75 and 100 Hz.

And no, besides hurting my eyes, the plants shouldn't affect your listening enjoyment.

Oops - just noticed you might not have a sub. If you don't, then leave them to LARGE. My comments about the plants remain unedited.

I won't let me wife see your comment about her "arrangements"

If you look closely in the lower right you'll see my sub. It isn't a real big one though, a Definitive Technology 8 or 10 inch. Can't remember for sure without going and taking a look.

So you're saying that you don't have to have your large fronts set to large for the avr to drive them appropriately? That all that does is reroute the bass below 80Hz to the sub?

edmondwolfman #213027 06/25/08 09:20 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Also, you don't need to worry about break in, per Ian.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
terzaghi #213029 06/25/08 09:24 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
keep in mind that with the 3808 there is two seperate places to adjust speaker size. One is for surround mode and the other is for direct/stereo 2 channel listening.

If it is set up with audessey It should change them both, but if you do things manually be sure and keep that in mind.

Also, I don't see how the vase could impact the sound at all.

I do have it set to large with no sub in the 2 channel section. I may change that later to add sub but I wanted to run all sound through the M60s for a few hours. I've seen some comments that you need a break in period and some say they are already broke in when you receive them.

Whoever said you can tell big differences between different sources it right. I have some mp3s (I know they aren't ideal for great sounding music) ripped at 320 and 256 (which in theory is CD quality) and some like For Abbey and Mr. B.K by Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters sound great while some of the others sound like an AM radio \:\)

Ken.C #213032 06/25/08 09:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
yes, setting them to small just diverts the freq. below the crossover point to the sub.

However, if you set the fronts to large, and change the sub setting in the denon to "lfe+main" then the frequency below the crossover will be played by both the mains and the sub. This will likelly give you too much bass but might be worth trying out.

If the fronts are set to large, and the sub is set to "lfe". then the sub is not used at all for 2 channel music. (unless you are in surround mode and then only the lfe and the low frequency to any small speakers are sent to the sub.)

Ian from axiom stated that any "break-in" happens nearly instanteously.

-David
terzaghi #213038 06/25/08 09:42 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
yes, setting them to small just diverts the freq. below the crossover point to the sub.

However, if you set the fronts to large, and change the sub setting in the denon to "lfe+main" then the frequency below the crossover will be played by both the mains and the sub. This will likelly give you too much bass but might be worth trying out.

If the fronts are set to large, and the sub is set to "lfe". then the sub is not used at all for 2 channel music. (unless you are in surround mode and then only the lfe and the low frequency to any small speakers are sent to the sub.)

Ian from axiom stated that any "break-in" happens nearly instanteously.

I did run into that scenario of setting the fronts to large, and the sub setting in the denon to "lfe+main" and it was indeed a lot of bass. I found that if I backed the sub off a bit it sounded pretty good. I guess I'll have to experiment.

Thanks again for the info. I'm taking notes I appreciate you and everyone else pitching in, it's making the learning curve a lot less steep.

Last edited by edmondwolfman; 06/25/08 09:45 PM.

edmondwolfman #213045 06/25/08 11:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
FYI, I have my m80's set to small with a 60 hz crossover for movies, and I think a 40hz crossover in 2channel mode.

-David
terzaghi #213107 06/26/08 01:57 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
FYI, I have my m80's set to small with a 60 hz crossover for movies, and I think a 40hz crossover in 2channel mode.

You think the M60s could run at the same crossovers or should I bump it up a bit?

I jut ran Audyssey and my system sounds ALOT better than it did before. I guess I had played with all the settings so much I had everything screwed up. I think now I can just tweak if from where Audyssey set everything. It did set the bass way low but as someone said earlier you can "bump" that up.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020