Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
sonic holography
#2147 03/20/02 10:41 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Has anyone tried the Carver sonic hologrphy feature with Axiom speakers? I'm thinking of purchasing and old Carver preamp and wonder what the holography feature sounds like.

Re: sonic holography
#2148 03/20/02 11:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I haven't tried the Carver Sonic Holography processor with Axiom speakers, but it will work the same way with most any speakers.

To use a cliche from the '60s, it's far out, man! Acutally, too far out. Depending on the source material, the results are wildly unpredictable. I recall a Neil Young rock recording where Neil sounded as if he were singing behind my right ear. It was very peculiar. It's not realistic in any sense but for weird effects, it can be entertaining. I also recall it's very critical where you sit; the effect disappears if you turn your head to either side. And you have to be equidistant between the two stereo speakers to get the best effect.

Have fun with it if you decide to get it. Eventually, the novelty wears off, I found.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#2149 03/21/02 05:52 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Far out man! Sounds grooovy. lol

Thanks Alan! I think I will give it a try. If nothing else maybe it will add some life to my dull, overly flat and poorly recorded disc. And it will give me another toy to keep me busy for a little while. I gota have my toys. lol

#2150 03/21/02 09:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds similar to the effect from the old (original) Polk speakers (cant remember the model #) The ones that had separate and direct connections between the L and R towers. Each tower had separate speakers that were wired out of phase and cancelled the other speakers "phase shift" (or something like that). Anyway, this design produced the most uncanny effect I have ever heard! You had to sit in an exact "sweet spot" in the center but the sounds came from all around! It was pretty freaky man!

Good listening!

Randyman

#2151 03/21/02 10:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I would agree with Alan on the "gee whiz" affect of the technology. Bob Carver is a smart man, but some of his designs were considered ......bizarre. I remember speaking with some Carver employees who used this phrase when discussing some of Bob's "design inventions" - they called them "Bobism's". Thye felt that while there was a different technical approach that created a different sound, they were more novelty than revolutionary.

But if you like to play, it is an interesting piece.....for a short period anyway!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044