A/V Receiver - Auto Power-off
#2152 03/21/02 07:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My set-up - Onkyo 797 receiver, 555 DVD player, Axiom M60ti (front), VP150 (centre), M40ti (surround), VP100 (rear).

Have had the sytem for about 2 weeks. The speakers did not sound great right-out-of the box but after about 8 days (played for 5-8 hours every day in ALL CH mode), they sound wonderful.

A problem occurred two days ago. Before going out for dinner, I inserted a CD and selected ALL CH mode to further break-in the speakers. However, the 797 power-off by itself (with the red stand-by light flashing) after playing music for less than 2 minutes. I then played a DVD in DD format and the same thing happened. Tried another DVD in DTS format and it was OK for about 25 minutes before I shut it off.

Needless to say I was late for dinner and did not have time for any further testing. I know this is not a problem related to Axiom speakers but am hoping that I can draw on the knowledge of Ian, Alan, BIBBH and anyone who can shed some light on this problem. Thank you!

Re: A/V Receiver - Auto Power-off
#2153 03/21/02 11:50 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Interesting....Off the top I would suspect the amplifier circuitry is being shutdown for protection.

I am not familiar with this model/make, but would check a couple of things:
- is there a sensitivity on the inputs that if the cd input falls below a certain level, the amp shuts down?
- you mention that this happens on CD and DVD DD mode, but DVD DTS was ok? Presumably the CD continues to operate and play?

The fact that it happened on 2 different sources, with different media would lead me to believe there is something wrong with the receiver. I would ensure proper connection of all outboard pieces, check all programmable settings, and if it continues contact the store or Onkyo support directly.

#2154 03/22/02 02:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks BBIBH for your advice.

The Onkyo is connected to a TV and DVD player only. The problem occurred when playing a CD in ALL CH mode or a DVD movie in DD. I have not tested it with a CD being played in any other modes. The settings and connections have all been double checked.

I have contacted the authorized dealer whom I bought the unit from and was informed that the Canadian distributor of Onkyo would not exchange my unit (which was less than 14 days old when the problem occurred) with a new one. An unit would be exchanged only if it was TOTALLY inoperable immediately after opening the box! I don't understand the logic of this policy (if there were one) and demand to talk to the distributor directly. I should receive the info from my dealer in a couple of days.

Boy, I wish Axiom made A/V receiver!!

Regards,
HT_Man

#2155 03/23/02 06:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I had a similar problem with a Sony reciever and
found that a wire had come disconnected from one of my speakers causing a short
Reconnected it and everything was fine

#2156 03/24/02 12:24 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
That is a sad tale of a company with very limited customer focus. I hope you will think about this experience when choosing your next purchase, and ask questions.

One thing came to mind, your only source is a DVD player if I read your reply correctly. Does it continue to play after the amp shuts down? If not, connect it so it is independant of any power and settings with the amp, and test again. I mention the independant nature because I think this amp can also power down the outboard pieces if connected via power and certain cables. I may be incorrect on this though.....

If the source dies first, does the amp continue to be available? Simply shutting down the DVD mid play would confirm this. Does the DVD continue to process after the amp goes into the power down mode?

I am driving at these are the two variables you need to address. I would still suspect the amp, and DEMAND satisfaction.

#2157 03/25/02 01:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks BIBBH for your suggestions.

I'll be out of town for a few days. Won't be able to do any futhre testing until next week.

Regards,
HT_Man

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020