AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
2 registered (MarkSJohnson, Ken.C), 70 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13322 Members
11 Forums
22895 Topics
404593 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17781
pmbuko 16277
SirQuack 13336
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10899
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#216310 - 07/25/08 10:44 AM Re: Water filter opinions? [Re: PeterChenoweth]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
RO (reverse osmosis) is the way to go. We have the stand alone conditioners throughout our facility. I replaced all the water bottle stations with them. The water is very good. They have some smaller, RO residential systems that may be more suitable for a home. http://www.vertexwater.com/

#216312 - 07/25/08 11:19 AM Re: Water filter opinions? [Re: michael_d]
anthony11 Offline
local

Loc: Seattle WA
Note that with an RO system you'll use more supply water as it flushes the concentrated stuff from the source side of the membrane -- as much as twice what comes out the tap. This may or may not be a problem for you, but it's good to be aware of it.

#216314 - 07/25/08 11:24 AM Re: Water filter opinions? [Re: PeterChenoweth]
anthony11 Offline
local

Loc: Seattle WA
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
I'm not quite as sold on the whole-house systems. A co-worker had one of those installed. It always seemed suspicious to me because it literally was sold to them by a door-to-door salesman toting around water samples. Big-time scare tactics. It was one of those multi-thousand-dollar, reverse-osmosis, whole-house setups. While it did make their water taste better than 'tap', it didn't seem any better (taste-wise) than what was coming out of our $100 system. Nice to have filtered water at every tap, I guess, but it sure seemed like a waste to spend that much money for that super-water, only to literally just flush it down the toilet. ;\)

My old place had a whole-house system because the source was a well. It was a traditional softener with a carbon cylinder filter added, along with a couple of pleated paper filters. The softener wasn't entirely necessary, but the carbon filter did a great job of soaking up HS from the groundwater, and helped with stains in the tubs too.

An RO whole-house system would be massively expensive if it had enough capacity -- one of the things about RO membranes is that the rate of flow through the membrane isn't all that high, and I imagine a whole-house RO setup would have a storage tank after the membrane that would refill overnight.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.