Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Water filter opinions?
PeterChenoweth #216310 07/25/08 02:44 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
RO (reverse osmosis) is the way to go. We have the stand alone conditioners throughout our facility. I replaced all the water bottle stations with them. The water is very good. They have some smaller, RO residential systems that may be more suitable for a home. http://www.vertexwater.com/

michael_d #216312 07/25/08 03:19 PM
local
local
Note that with an RO system you'll use more supply water as it flushes the concentrated stuff from the source side of the membrane -- as much as twice what comes out the tap. This may or may not be a problem for you, but it's good to be aware of it.

PeterChenoweth #216314 07/25/08 03:24 PM
local
local
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
I'm not quite as sold on the whole-house systems. A co-worker had one of those installed. It always seemed suspicious to me because it literally was sold to them by a door-to-door salesman toting around water samples. Big-time scare tactics. It was one of those multi-thousand-dollar, reverse-osmosis, whole-house setups. While it did make their water taste better than 'tap', it didn't seem any better (taste-wise) than what was coming out of our $100 system. Nice to have filtered water at every tap, I guess, but it sure seemed like a waste to spend that much money for that super-water, only to literally just flush it down the toilet. ;\)

My old place had a whole-house system because the source was a well. It was a traditional softener with a carbon cylinder filter added, along with a couple of pleated paper filters. The softener wasn't entirely necessary, but the carbon filter did a great job of soaking up HS from the groundwater, and helped with stains in the tubs too.

An RO whole-house system would be massively expensive if it had enough capacity -- one of the things about RO membranes is that the rate of flow through the membrane isn't all that high, and I imagine a whole-house RO setup would have a storage tank after the membrane that would refill overnight.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters