Subwoofer
#2164 03/22/02 02:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello everyone, I need some insight. I recently visited Replay Electronics to check out the Axiom product line.
I am in the process of building my first "Home theatre"
M60, VP100 or VP150?, QS4 or QS8?. What would be best for overall Pkg.? Can I do without the Subwoofer? will the M60's produce enough bass effect on their own.? In the store, I was told that they do not carry the Axiom Subwoofers and they showed me a Subwoofer from a company called "Kinima" claiming that it was a better product . Can anyone offer any advice with regards to this company. My quest for knowledge led me to Zetag Corp. www.zetagcorp.com
They are in Brampton, Ont. and offer two product lines.
Kinima and Haus, but no mention of the Subwoofer on their site. Any comments, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Re: Subwoofer
#2165 03/22/02 04:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I bought M60ti, VP150, VP100, M40ti and EP175 from Replay about 2 weeks ago. Go with VP150 for your centre, it sounds much better than VP100 (being used as the rear) to me. I did not bother to audition (may be I should) the Kinima and decided to go with EP175. You need a sub for your movies! My first choice for sub was Hsu Research VTF-2 but I could not get it in time frou US. If you can wait, order a Hsu (US$ 499 + shipping, duties and taxes).

My system sounds great to me (except for the amp problem listed in my other post). Can't go wrong with the M60ti. As for the surround and rear, my personal preference is M40ti and VP100. The QS may sound better to you. You'll have to hear them and make a decision.

Regards,
HT_Man

#2166 03/23/02 06:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Anonymous,
I've never heard of either brand--Kinima or Haus-- or the parent company, and I edited A/V directories for Sound & Vison (Canada) magazine for 15 years until 1996. I'm dubious of their credentials and background as speaker designers.

It may be an "OEM" manufacturer of subs for particular stores. In any case, you'll get far better performance sticking with a specialty designer of speakers like Axiom, who has a proven 20-year record of fine speaker design.

You can do without a subwoofer but it depends how you define "enough" bass. Only very expensive floorstanding speakers can approach the overall deep-bass output and extension that a subwoofer like the Axiom EP125 or EP175 will deliver. Moreover, they have powerful built-in amps to drive only deep bass, thereby relieving your receiver's main amp from those duties and letting your M60s produce upper bass cleanly without strain.

You can always upgrade gradually if you want, adding a sub when you feel you want the thundering deep bass effects from movies and large musical works.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#2167 03/24/02 12:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have not heard of the company, or the speaker lineup. While I like to recommend that a purchase is made from recognized manufacturers, that could and would severely limit choices. Also, this may be a company that has just started to build speakers, and may in fact offer a good product.

To dismiss them without further investigation would be a mistake. Listen to them, determine if the speakers are built with care, and ask for information about them beyond the website.

Chances are they are not exceptional speaker, and fit with the mass market. Companies such as this are very common, and they make product that is sold to the mass market price points. However, I could put forth many names of quality gear that some may not have heard of, with the exception of those well seasoned audio veterans. To dismiss on name alone would limit any new companies with a good approach to products and designs....in this or any other product market. You have to start somewhere!

But if you are building with Axiom, it makes sense to stay with a vendor you know and trust. My senses tell me that they have a pretty website, decent looking models, and would be of mediocre quality sonically. But I would listen before making a final judgement.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044