Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hello Axiom World...
#21686 10/09/03 08:51 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hey People...

I just got my first Axiom purchase today... A pair of M2i's that I am mating with my Yamaha RX-Z1 (after reading such great reviews) and my Eminence 15" LF Magnum (custom box with a 400W Amp). First impressions so far are that these simply blow my Acoustic Research AR-3's (my previous main speakers for my apartment rig) out of the water.

I dare say that they are even close to the accuracy of my Sony MDR-V6 Studio's (not the horrid V600's obviously, heh.)

I have two 'rigs' and the one I am using right now is the smaller of the two (the other one being a Denon AVR-5800 with a Klipsch RSW-15 and AR-1's as mains and a pair of AR-3's for surrounds and an AR-2C for center.)

All in all, I am still in shock how these little Axiom's can have so much depth to their sound, presenting such a nice and complete sound-stage without any gaps in the high range that usually happens when the off-axis response isn't too up to kilter.

This was my first Axiom purchase, but I definately don't think it will be my last.

-Will

Re: Hello Axiom World...
#21687 10/09/03 09:37 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Heh, right now I am listening to Romeo and Juliet - The Nutcracker by the Berlin Philharmoniker - one of my favorite cd's for testing audio equipment (because of the large contrasts in types of concurrent sounds and high dynamic range). I can see what quality went in to these impressive little speakers. Before that, I listened to my main reference song (Boyz II Men - Yesterday) and the detail to which you could hear every little nuance in that acapella was just golden. These are definately more refined than my old AR's and much more complete sounding than my robotic sounding MDR-V6's that are accurate, but too cold.

Anyways, as you can tell, I'm delighted with these little marvels.

#21688 10/09/03 10:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Glad to hear that you like the M2s! So, what will be your next Axiom order???

#21689 10/09/03 10:09 PM
devotee
devotee
Welcome, DJ

I am also new to the world of Axiom speakers. I've had my M60ti's for about a month now, and I am very happy with them. Right now I am listening to "Supernatural" by Santana. I am listening in my receiver's "pure mode" that does not output any signal to the sub, and I am amazed by the bass that I can feel, despite the fact that I am listening at modest volume. Also, the soundstage is incredible...if I didn't know better, I'd swear the center channel speaker was active.

I noticed you have a favorite CD for auditioning equipment, for me it's Mahler's First Symphony by Bernstein and the Concertegebeow Orchestra. The dynamic range of the beginning of the fourth movement is incredible. I also like to use Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain", Pink Floyd's "Time", and "Mistral Wind" by Heart for auditioning speakers, as these selections have lots of dynamic range, deep bass as well as high frequency passages, and they are all favorites of mine.

I'll bet everyone on this forum has a favorite song or CD they use to audition speakers...c'mon, tell us what you use!

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#21690 10/09/03 10:12 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Welcome to "Axiom World" and congrats on you new speakers!

So much sound for so little money.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#21691 10/09/03 11:19 PM
shareholder in the making
Welcome, Will. Glad to hear that you're enjoying your M2s and that you also have the Bychkov Nutcracker, one of several I've got.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#21692 10/09/03 11:30 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hey guys,

[sushi] Next order, I think will either be a pair of M22ti's or some floor standing M60ti's. I am unsure as to what I want though - becuase my limited space apartment wouldnt benefit too greatly from too large of speakers, and judging by these speakers' output, I don't need too much more.

[mhorgel] I love that song (the Santana). They are good enough alone, in pure direct mode, I mean?

[mwc]"So much sound for so little money" yeap - that sums it up just about right.

[JohnK] Thank you... And yea, isnt that a great disk?

#21693 10/09/03 11:38 PM
Mark, if you do a search on the board for CDs you'll find a number of threads, including a couple in the past month dealing with them in general and one on classical CDs in particular. I'll throw out a couple thoughts here. The new version of Gliere's IL'ya Murometz on Telarc 80609 has a good performance and outstanding sound. A real favorite of mine is the bargain(about $7)recording of Smetana's Ma Vlast( My Country)on Seraphim 73736 with Berglund conducting a fine performance in very good sound. There's a few hundred more worth mentioning, but I'll stop now.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#21694 10/09/03 11:48 PM
devotee
devotee
When I use stereo mode, the sub kicks on and I do get better reproduction in the lowest octave, but in pure mode the rest of the audio spectrum is so much sharper, clearer, and the mids and highs so much more forward, I like it much better. Next favorite mode is DTS Neo:6.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#21695 10/10/03 02:10 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
[mhorgel] They may end up being my next purchase then, because of that, even though i really DO love my Eminence . Far superior in accuracy and yet much cheaper (and slightly less usable power) than my RSW-15.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044