Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The Italian Job
#21794 10/15/03 10:51 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Go to their website and read about it, Sushi. It does serve a purpose.

#21795 10/15/03 11:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
LOL LOL I first thought Semi was talking about the penguins!

#21796 10/15/03 11:45 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
That's definitely been modified from the original footage. The "offending" penguin is perfectly steady except for its wing.

Great clip, regardless.

#21797 10/15/03 11:46 PM
K
veteran
veteran
K
Saturn- I think they were the X-2's. I need to find that out for sure, though. I kept thinking that any minute they'd sprout arms and come after me yelling "Danger Will Robinson!" Though if they did do that, it probably would sound really good.

I haven't heard the Maggies, yet, but I've always been interested in checking them out. How do they produce the bass? Are they 100% ribbon? I've heard that they sound great and are great at imaging, however, they tend to lack the punch on the lower end. Any thoughts?

Re: the penguin video, I have to ask if that one's touched up. I saw the same clip a few years ago, however, the first penguin tripped the one walking, opposed to pushing him in the back. Of course at that time, everyone was saying that it was real and not digitized, either. Somebody's up to something here...

#21798 10/16/03 03:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I only have critically listened to the 1.6 and the MG12. Both have good enough bass extension for me. But most would opt to get a sub for sub 40hz passages and slam for HT. The other higher models have a good enough extension that doesnt warrant a sub....at least for 2 channel stereo listening. The only way to tell, is a nice long listen at them. I personally know the planer diaphram is one big chunk of stretched mylar sheet or a true aluminum ribbon. That has a lot of area space to easily move LOTS of air. The MG20 is rated to go down to 25Hz so it does play the lower frequencies...but how good...that I'm not sure about.

Saturn

#21799 10/16/03 12:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I've heard the MG3.6Rs and 1.6, and the 1.6 had a surprising amount of bass for it's size. The 3.6Rs were paired with a Martin Logan sub (their most expensive model, I believe) and about $85,000 worth of associated equipment (most of it went to 4 massive tube monoblocks) and left me with the best audio experience I've had probably. They just disappear! The thing that struck me the most initially with the Maggies is that while there is a sweet spot, they sound absolutely fantastic no matter where you're sitting/standing in the room.

If I had a nice $35mil, I think I'd have a dedicated listening room and have a Magnepan MG20 stereo system. No surround. Separate room for that.

#21800 10/16/03 01:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I haven't heard the Maggies, yet, but I've always been interested in checking them out. How do they produce the bass? Are they 100% ribbon? I've heard that they sound great and are great at imaging, however, they tend to lack the punch on the lower end. Any thoughts?

Kevin,

There are two "classes" of Maggies: The quasi-ribbon and true-ribbon models. These terms refer only to the tweeter driver -- their mid-range and woofer drivers are all quasi-ribbons or the "planar-magnetic" drivers. Basically, it is a large sheet of mylar to which a linear "voice coil" (made of a ultra-thin alminum sheet) is attached in a zig-zag fashion. The diaphragm then placed in close proximity to an array of long magnets, so that the electrical current through the "voice coil" will move the diaphragm back and fourth.

The tweeter driver in the top two Maggie models (the 20.1/R and 3.6/R) is a true-ribbon. It is a single narrow, very long and ultra-thin piece of aluminum placed two long magnet rods, which doubles as voice-coil and diaphragm. Their lower models (the 1.6/QR and below) use a quasi-ribbon driver for tweeter.

Despite the fact that Maggies are dipole radiators just like the electrostats I mentioned above, I've never got the same "veiled" impression with Maggies. I personally believe that the key difference here is the very narrow physical shape of Maggie's tweeter -- because of the horizontally narrow shape of its tweeter, Maggie's treble doesn't suffer from the "beaming" effects inherent in all electrostats (due to the large full-range radiator area, the treble frequencies from electrostats exhibit a very narrow spatial dispersion). I believe that this characteristic is heard as "veiled" sound to my ears.

In fact, the true-ribbon Maggies are the best speakers I've listened to so far, regardless of price. Their super-deep soundstage and realistic imaging brings me an ear-to-ear grin while listening. I can just "see" the orchestra or ensemble playing right in front of me. With regard to the bass, especially the 20.1/R produces a prodigious, authoritative bass that is uniquely natural, almost "silky" smooth yet accurate...

I am seriously considering a pair of Maggies right now. I will decide only after listening to the VMPS RM40, though.

#21801 10/16/03 07:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
AdamP88: Just imagine having the MG20 for mains and the MG3.6 for surrounds hook up to 5 x Mark Levinson No.33H Monaural Power Amp and a Shanling T-200 Level-1 Plus SACD player using a Mark Levinson 380 preamp with Mark Levinson No.40 Video Processor. Now how about that SACD surround?

Sushi:

If I had the room (and you really need it)and the money I would definitely go in the same direction.
Right now for the space and money the MG12 will do me happy for a while. Tell UPS to hurry up please.

#21802 10/16/03 11:56 PM
K
veteran
veteran
K
Sushi- thanks for the info on the Maggies. That's pretty incredible. I need to check them out as I think I'll fall in love with them, too, as much as my beloved (yet illusivly unattinable) Martin-Logans. I have also heard that the VMPS system is unreal. One person told me that they even put any other speaker "to shame." Though I don't know about that, I do know I've heard tons of great things about them. If you have the means, check them out and let us know what you think.

Off to read the link you posted about the Maggies!

#21803 10/17/03 01:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You guys are really starting to tick me off! Let's all talk about Axioms!!!... Now!!... Hey, get back here, we're not done yet...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters