Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Fred's Excellent (hopefully) Calibration Adventure
fredk #227585 10/30/08 12:59 AM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Here are two pics of the panels I built.

Side view of the two panels stacked behind the spl meter. They are about 2.5 feet from the back wall.

At the front wall about 2 feet out from the wall. I have room here to almost double the treatment size if I fiddle with my aqm. lighting a little.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #227586 10/30/08 01:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Fred, in your first picture, it looks like your SPL meter is horizontal facing your mains. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read it should be vertical for measurements. (I have no idea if it makes a difference, but do remember reading that somewhere).

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
fredk #227589 10/30/08 01:28 AM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
The panels are made using 1/8" ply with corner braces to hold them together and hold the fiberglass panels in place. I used thin ply to keep costs and weight down as these are strictly testing panels. It worked quite well and I will probably keep these two the way they are.

Charts:
The purple trace in all plots is the untreated response and is put in for comparison.

This one is the rear wall location you see in the first photo. I was quite surprised at how low the panel effected things. You can see some smoothing in the 22-33Hz. range.

The other big surprise was the elimination of the 40Hz hole. You can also see a reduction at 80 and 120Hz suggesting that this is a room length mode.

The big dissapointment: it got worse at 52 Hz.

Front Wall placement (2nd pic). Slight improvement at 52Hz and the 75Hz null narrows quite a bit.

Corner Placement. Interestingly here the 75Hz null is reduced a little, but not narrowed.

I was curious to know how the dining area affected the room overall. A lot of the effects are the same as other placements, but this one shows the best improvement in the 75Hz null. I wonder if this is a room mode somehow related to the width at this part of the room?

I still want to put the panels over the spl meter to see how that effects things.

Fred

-------
myrison #227592 10/30/08 01:37 AM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Jason. It is omni-directional mics that are supposed to face strait up. The RS meter is directional and should be facing the speakers you are measuring. Since bass frequencies are omni-directional it should really make no difference which way the meter points (I think??).

When I was doing the leveling, I tried various positions with pink noise playing from one speaker and it made absolutely no difference in the spl measured.

I should try doing sweeps horizontal and vertical to see what happens.

Fred

-------
fredk #227659 10/30/08 12:41 PM
shareholder in the making
Fred:
I hope I'm wrong here, because as a fellow member of the "Rooms that Sucketh" Clan, I'm hoping you're finding some solutions.... but.....

I don't think your panels are reducing that 40Hz hole. My understanding is that any absorbers that would make a difference in bass frequencies would need to be much thicker...and ideally corner-mounted.

Again, I could be wrong...

A question: Was the "before" plot done immediately before adding the panels, and with the mic in exactly the same place, or was it taken from previous tests? Because a mic position just a few inches one way or another over two different testing days might be responsible for that change you see at 40Hz....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #227677 10/30/08 04:22 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Mark. Yes, that is exactly what I did. I moved the panels into the bathroom so they would not interfere with measurements. I then set up, calibrated and measured to get the untreated graph.

From there, I put the treatments in position and measured again: no moving the mike, no level adjustments. I have measured at this position on at least 4 occasions, so with slightly different mic positions, and always get the 40Hz hole

FWIW, the reason that corners are good (as I understand it anyway) is that you can treat multiple modes (length & width, axial & tangential) in one place. It has to do with the way modes accumulate in corners.

So, I to hope you are wrong this time. I am contemplating making a set of thinner pannels to see what the difference is between the two.

Fred

-------
fredk #227678 10/30/08 04:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Or you can try moving the panels away from the wall. I have two panels, one behind each speaker, and they are about 6-8 inches away from the wall. I think the idea is to "trap" the lower frequencies in the created gap.

That reminds me, I need to run some frequency sweeps and graph them again. I forgot what difference they make.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #227684 10/30/08 04:58 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
In the front rear and dining area positions the traps were between 2 and 3 feet from the wall. I did this on purpose to get the maximum absorbtion from the panel (closest to 1/4 wave points, and at maximum sound wave velocity).

I can permenantly install the traps at the front location with the front of the trap at 22" from the wall, pretty much where they were for the test.

I am specifically interested in how much of a difference thickness will make at a given location.

Fred

-------
fredk #227692 10/30/08 05:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
So, I to hope you are wrong this time.

It looks like I am, and I hoped so too! This means there might be hope for my room as well without having to put in absorbers that reduce my (already small) square footage another 25%!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #227708 10/30/08 07:05 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Huh. Mark with "hope". This should be interesting.

Pass the popcorn.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082