Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: receiver and speakers
synthguy #221376 09/17/08 11:21 PM
shareholder in the making
 Quote:
MAN, were they right! I'd bought some cheap Audioquest cable from them and was amazed just with that. But with the expensive stuff, up to $200 for interconnects and speaker cable, I was dumbfounded.

I'm glad you've found your audio nirvana, but I remain extremely skeptical of such claims, even though I'm sure they are quite real to those who experience them in uncontrolled circumstances. I'm sure I'd probably believe I heard a difference as well. If I did hear a difference, I'd want to be sure that difference was actually real and not just perceived. The only way to determine that with any sort of certainty is through blind tests -- in which you pit cable A against cable B without knowing which is playing.

I have a feeling the night and day difference those expensive interconnects seem to create would be significantly diminished under those circumstances (as they have many a time before).

pmbuko #221380 09/18/08 12:41 AM
regular
regular
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko

I'm glad you've found your audio nirvana, but I remain extremely skeptical of such claims, even though I'm sure they are quite real to those who experience them in uncontrolled circumstances. I'm sure I'd probably believe I heard a difference as well. If I did hear a difference, I'd want to be sure that difference was actually real and not just perceived. The only way to determine that with any sort of certainty is through blind tests -- in which you pit cable A against cable B without knowing which is playing.

I have a feeling the night and day difference those expensive interconnects seem to create would be significantly diminished under those circumstances (as they have many a time before).

Well, there's a caveat to this. In my case, I'm a studio guy who's spent years analyzing sound by ear for everything from producing songs to picking apart songs by ear to arrange them for others. My relative is a 20 something who just has a visceral gut level reaction to a stereo, like most pople, and everyone can tell whether a stereo sounds good, bad, or incredible. My stereo was already incredible, and had become an alternative to gaming night, when the guys would bring over their CDs for a night of "mini-concerts." We were all fairly familiar with the sound of my ARCAM Delta 290, Mission CD player and TDL Monitor 2s with my budget Audioquest cable. It was outstanding as it was, enough that I gained a rep as "the guy with the stereo you HAVE to hear." And while it didn't gain me any lady friends, sadly, it made me very popular with the guys. \:D

Also, I'd already gone through this experience with Monster Cable, which was disappointing. I couldn't believe people would spend $50 on that stuff. The speaker wire was decent, but like everyone else's 14 or so gauge cable. The Audioquest got my attention though. And then came the day of the $1000 loaners.

The best test, as it is with the Axiom home trial, is to use something with the system you're familiar with. And mine was a road well traveled. I'd listened to a LOT of music on cheap cable, and a lot MORE on the more involving budget Audioquest. And then with the expensive stuff... it's hard to get around putting on a CD we'd both listened to several times and then looking at each other, wondering if there was a hidden remix track we'd stumbled across. Nothing was different but the cable. What was resolving things more accurately was the cable. What made the soundstage larger was the cable.

No one will make you spend money on new wires. But when some of you guys are spending way more than $2000 on a set of Axioms - which I'm getting close with the piano gloss Redwood M60s I want - spending $15 for 3 ft Dayton interconnects and $50 for a 10 ft pair of Dayton speaker cables from Parts Express is almost like pizza money. I doubt you could accuse Outlaw of making or having their own cables made just for the heck of it. I recommend their stuff too.

Studios and television stations use this high definition cable, much of it either Mogami or Cardas, not because it's shielded better, but because it sounds better. Heck, for $65 to link up a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray player and pair of front channel speakers with Daytons, the cost of a Playstation video game, it's not much just to give it a taste.

synthguy #221383 09/18/08 12:57 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #221386 09/18/08 01:07 AM
M
aficionado
aficionado
M
Don't forget to share Wid ;\)

M80's(2), VP150, QS8's(2), M3's(4)
synthguy #221390 09/18/08 01:36 AM
Steve, welcome. These reports of sound differences sometimes described in terms such as "huge", "night-and-day", etc., are common but lack factual support. Hopefully we learn that you(meaning everyone)simply can't "Just trust your ears" when other factors exist which can affect your judgment. A properly controlled blind listening test is the only way to control for these factors, and previous claims relating to wires, electronics, etc., collapse when put to the test.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #221393 09/18/08 01:51 AM
Seems to me there is still a MILLION dollar challange for anyone that can prove the difference between speaker wire costing thousands and the cheapest monster cable. Noone has taken the offer in what now, over a year. Hmmmm

As someone once told me, \:\) copper is copper, God only made one kind. The electrons can't tell the difference. As long as your using the proper AWG for the distance and speaker rating you will not be able to tell a difference in true blind A/B tests. If your aware of what is hooked up, your brain will tell you your listening to $1,000 copper wire.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #221396 09/18/08 01:59 AM
God didn't make copper. Anything that conducts electricity is the work of Satan.

pmbuko #221398 09/18/08 02:07 AM
Or Count Duku.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #221400 09/18/08 02:13 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I laughed when I heard his name in the movie.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
synthguy #221404 09/18/08 02:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello synthguy

I'm sure you are about to receive another warm axiom forum welcome to your post about cabling.

I agree. I found that Tara Labs component interconnects improved the sound of my DVD Audio and SACD music.

I use some strange Mapleshade Clearview Double Golden Helix Plus speaker cables for my 2 channel tube stereo system. Love the sound of that system.

As to receivers, if you are willing to go against the flow, I'd try a Sony TA E9000ES processor (with Version 2.10 software upgrade) if you do not need SACD or DVD Audio. I use one with an Anthem PVA5 5 channel amp and this office system gives up little or nothing to my big 7.1 system with an Integra DTC 9.4 processor, 3 Yamaha M80 2-channel amps and an Integra M504 (Huge VU meters) for the center channel.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 532 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup