Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Reciever Opinions?
#22058 10/14/03 02:47 PM
local
OP Offline
local
I was reading the AVS Forums and saw a post that basically recommended the:
Epic Master Home Theater (minus sub) combined with one of HSU's impending subs as a good quality speaker setup.

Assuming that some of the folks here probably have these speakers, could anyone recommend an appropriate reciever?

I'm fairly new to all this if it's not obvious enough...

Thanks,

Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
Re: Reciever Opinions?
#22059 10/14/03 03:31 PM
buff
buff
What's your budget for the receiver? That's the first thing we need to know. The Epic Master set can take some juice.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I have started shopping for a new mid-range (under $1,100) receiver myself. I currently have a Kenwood VR-409, which is basically a standard B&M type receiver. It's decent though; it'll hold me over until I decide what I want to get.

And until I save some moolah!

#22060 10/14/03 03:57 PM
local
OP Offline
local
I'm not sure. I wouldn't imagine I'll spend more than $800-$1200 for a reciever. The truth is, like most men I'd love to have the fanciest of everything. And I greatly enjoy music & movies. I would say I have a fairly keen eye and ear as well. But I don't think I'm the sort to really get into the hardcore equipment, setup, and configuration because I have too many other interests that strain my budget and time.

My goal will be to have a good quality plasma TV, with a pleasant sounding music/movie setup in a cool to hang out in rec room in my eventual house.

I'm not even sure what all I'll need to be honest.

My list so far:

Speakers
Receiver
DVD Player
Plasma TV
HDTV receiver for my Directv
Assorted Appropriate Wires

I don't even know what else I'll need. I'm probably quite naive.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
#22061 10/14/03 04:18 PM
buff
buff
Well, you're already on the right track; you're asking questions. I ask a ton of 'em!

I'm the type that needs to know all the positives and negatives about anything before I buy it. I hate surprises. I like to know exactly what to expect and what not to.

$1,200 will get you a nice receiver. You don't need to spend that much though to have something nice that you won't grow out of in a month.

Configuration and proper setup is PARAMOUNT to any successful music and/or Home Theater experience.

Generally speaking, a $1,000 system that's been properly tuned and calibrated will sound better than a $3,000 system that got ripped out of it's shipping cartons, hastily wired up and turned on. I'm sure others will agree with me on that.

You have to invest not only the money, but the TIME to set it all up correctly. Even for a total neophyte, calibrating a monitor and a surround sound setup shouldn't take anymore than a few hours.

Plus, the knowledge you gain is priceless and an invaluable resource that you'll turn to again and again as your interest in the hobby grows.

One last thing. For maximum movie enjoyment, you NEED a sub.

#22062 10/14/03 05:47 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Sorry about the confusion, I certainly meant to get a sub of some sort. It's just the configuration mentioned on the other forum included all components that are part of the Epic Master setup, minus the sub & then including one of the new models (presuming they turn out to be nice) of the HSU Research sub family.

Basically buy the other pieces individually, skip the sub, and buy one of the HSU sub's.

I also certainly intend to do configuration with the setup when the time comes. I wouldn't just hook it up and be done with it. I bought a Sony WEGA and have never given it the attention it deserves. I know it could give an even better picture if I bought some configuration dvd's as opposed to the tweaking I've done on my own. I won't be so lazy this time! I just want to keep things relatively simple in level of technology because I know otherwise I will end up with WAY MORE than I'll ever need. And I'll end up get out of a sensible dollar/enjoyment ratio.

Does my list of equipment seem sufficient? Are there other things I'll need? I guess possible a CD player although I presume I can get a good DVD/CD combo that provides good quality to both.

What about the advantages of 5.1, 6.1, 7.1? Is there anything I should look for? Obviously the setup I'm looking at would be 5.1 right? That package has a center, two fronts, two surrounds, and a sub. What would be the configuration of a 6.1? Is that a rear center? What about 7.1? Is that two rears?

Perhaps I should just spend time looking online and not bothering you guys.

Thanks for the help so far!

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
#22063 10/14/03 06:21 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
That price range puts you squarely in the realm of the Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver. You won't be disappointed.

#22064 10/14/03 07:21 PM
devotee
devotee
Yamaha, as already mentioned and Denon 3803 would be great buys, as well as the Pioneer Elite 55txi, which can be found online for around $1100 and would also be an amazing reciever.

#22065 10/14/03 07:22 PM
devotee
devotee
Forgot about Rotel, great products also.

#22066 10/14/03 07:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nick,

In addition to the Yamaha that Peter recommended, I suggest you look at the Pioneer Elite 53TX and 55TXi receivers. Their street prices are within your budget -- the latter comes with the FireWire/i.Link digital connection for the SACD/DVD-A players, in case you plan to get such a "universal" player instead of a plain DVD player. At any rate, these Pioneer and Yamaha receivers feature the automatic room/speaker EQ system, which I think is truly valuable.

Also, I would dutifully suggest that you explore the possibility of front projection instead of a plasma display. I was in your position 10 months ago, but eventually decided to buy a front projector plus a 120" screen for our "living-room HT" -- I am really glad I went down this route. Today's front projection system costs no more than a plasma, and will give you a much larger screen with a more film-like, excellent image quality. The entire system really feels like a home "theater." The only caveat is, if you want to watch it during daytime, you have to be able to sufficiently darken the room.

#22067 10/14/03 08:43 PM
aficionado
aficionado
once in it, you'll never look at that ratio again. remember tweaking your 1st car, well get ready 'cause here you'll go again. i thought the same thing too.
dan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020