New music
#22478 10/17/03 03:31 AM
M
mwc Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
M
I haven't bought much "new" music since my local public radio station(KERA in Dallas) went all "talk". I used to hear some great stuff there, everything from Jazz to classical to new age and beyond. (Yeah, and I was just about ready to pledge my support when they quashed the music. Uh oh, no support for KERA until the music comes back.)

Much of my CD collection came from the stuff that I heard on public radio. I don't like 95% of what I hear on "Top 40 radio".

Where do you folks hear "new music?

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
Re: New music
#22479 10/17/03 03:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Other people. Vh1 countdowns. Etc.

#22480 10/17/03 04:33 AM
old hand
old hand
I suggest listening to local colledge radio... alternatively you can try internet radio. While my tuner wasn't hooked up for a while I had to get my morning NPR fix with my computer... a little more work, and I didn't bother routing the music to my preamp, but I'm considering it more and more because you can really sample a lot more with internet radio.

I don't know much about windows media software (mac person) - but you can download iTunes for Windows now (free), and it comes with a pretty good categorized mix of radio stations. I'm sure there are other players for Windows out there with selections are just as good if not better.

I should note that I work for Apple - so that paragraph may be construed as a shameless plug

#22481 10/17/03 07:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I find good stuff in movies, tv commercials, and quite often the "bumper music" on the radio. Then I'll do a search on Kazaa to find out what the band is. I've discovered quite a few gems that way. I've bought more cd's of bands I had previously never heard of through that system. So take the record industry! This mp3 downloader buys MORE cd's because of mp3's!

#22482 10/17/03 01:18 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Hi Mike
I really like the Maxim music magazine - Blender. It's as well written as anything out there, and I've gotten some good leads from them in the past - The Libertines, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Very well written, and I get to hear of some bands I wouldn't normally hear from Winnipeg radio (they only play radio friendly crap). I'm also partial to a 1 hour radio program out of Toronto called "the History of New Music" with Allan Cross. His program actually pointed me in the direction of these websites:
http://ubl.artistdirect.com/
http://www.allmusic.com/
really complete websites with reviews/info/discographies on most bands. Then I usually does what Spiffnme does and head to Kazaa. Man I love that program!

"Chickens don't clap."
#22483 10/17/03 06:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've had good luck at my local Hear Music store. Their collection (though more expensive than BB, Amazon, or Tower) can be VERY eclectic and they let you listen to ANY CD. I can spend a few hours there browsing for underground hip hop and acid jazz. Found many gems there, almost all of it never gets airplay but still pleasing to me.

#22484 10/17/03 07:27 PM
local
local
I haunt the Usenet and download new albums. If I like them I buy them. I have bought more CDs in the past few years than I did in the entire decade previous. Here's a little anecdote. I downloaded the latest Roseann Cash album "Rules of Travel". Played it a couple of times, realized that it was a terrific piece of work, and went out and bought it. When I brought the CD home I found out that it had some sort of copy protection mechanism that required me to install a program on the disk in order to play it on my computer. This is different from the driver install that is bypassable by holding down the shift key. Now I don't know about you, but I don't install any programs that I don't know about. I went through the DOS, Win 3.1, and Win 95 years and I have seen too many programs butcher operating systems. I won't play this CD on the computer, I'll just continue listening to the MP3s ( BTW, it took me less that 5 minutes to figure out how to bypass the security and rip the tracks to a much higher quality than I originally downloaded). Here's the irony: I never would have even heard this album if it wasn't for the Usenet. It gets no airplay where I live, and no one I know is familiar with it. I enjoy the album, own it, and would never have even heard it if the Internet did not exist. How many other great albums are gathering dust because the recording industry has their collective heads up their collective wazzoos.

#22485 10/17/03 08:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Exactly! I'd say 75% or more of the cd's I've bought in the past year or two all were bought because I downloaded some tracks from the internet, liked what I heard, and then bought the cd's.

Much like people don't like buying speakers before hearing them (hence all the home demo's I host) I don't like buying cd's I haven't heard. The crap they play on the radio is soooooo bad, I have to find other places to find music. The internet IS that place.

#22486 10/17/03 09:37 PM
shareholder in the making
Download iTunes from Apple (now works with Windows!). Browse the iTunes Music Store. Even if you don't plan on buying MP3s online, it's a great way to expose yourself to new music so you can go buy the CDs. All songs/albums have high-quality previews.

http://www.apple.com/itunes

#22487 10/17/03 09:40 PM
tinfoilhat,

You can defeat that copy-protection mechanism by holding down the SHIFT key when you insert the CD. Simple, but true.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters