Audyssey
#225721 10/17/08 08:13 AM
M
MCL Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Man, I have had a heck of a time trying to get my speakers to sound like they are worth the money I spent on them. They did sound better than my old set, which is not saying much, when I first installed them. But since then I have been less than blown away. I have the VP150 and M60's run by Onkyo 805. I still have a terrible sub and surrounds. I thought it would be okay to slowly upgrade piece by piece, but now I am thinking it was a mistake. Apparently Audyssey "dumbed down" the Axioms to match the crappy Yamaha sub and surrounds, so they have not been impressive. Tonight while watching Ironman I decided to try turning the EQ off, and it made a huge difference. Everything sounded better. Still not up to blow my mind levels like I had hoped though. Do you all think once I get a better sub and the QS8's Audyssey will calibrate everything the right way? I still get a little distortion when I turn up the volume, but the thing is I still want it louder. The loudest I have had the Onkyo is about -4.0, and there was some distortion on very dynamic sounds, explosions, etc. Will proper calibration of Audyssey take care of this? I have had a very frustrating time with all this DIY home theater stuff, as my last experience was with HTIB. I know my newer pieces are much more capable than the boxed set, but man was it easier to set up and so much less stressful. Didn't spend hours pulling my hair out wondering what the heck is wrong with my system.

Re: Audyssey
MCL #225727 10/17/08 09:27 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
What are you expecting for a blow your mind sound? Just really loud? you will need much more amplification to do that. A -4.0 setting on the Onkyo, I suspect, is pushing the limits of the receiver and the distortion you are hearing is being generated by the amp.

A better sub will certainly help as it will give you more headroom for the explosions, etc. and take some the burden away from the M60s and the receiver. A good will really help fill the room with good LFE and this is where a lot of extra SPL is made.

Just curious what are you using for your surround speakers right now? Are these from a HTiB? If so then yes the QS8's will be a large improvement over them.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #225743 10/17/08 12:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with Jason. It seems to me that you are over-taxing the Onkyo. That, coupled with most likely not only a "crappy" sub, but one that isn't in the optimum place in your room, and you are getting all sorts of horrible sound. The surrounds, while they may be cheap, aren't going to be the *biggest* source of poor sound for you as the sub and amp are throwing more noise into the room from the mains and the sub, unless of course your surrounds are turned up too much and then they are going to be adding to the terrible sound.

There are lots of suggestions you can be given, but some will require more money, or at least a bit of work to get things tuned to your room better. I have M60 fronts with the VP150 center (and QS8 surrounds) and I can actually hit positive numbers on my receiver (Pioneer Elite) and it sounds nice... VERY loud, but not distorted. Note: I've only done this a couple of times as a test of the quality of the Axioms when I first got them. I usually watch movies around -15 to -18 when it is just me watching, and about -18 to -22 when it is with my wife as she doesn't like it "so loud." Sounds great in my room, and I know if I could get off my butt and tame the room a bit with bass traps, etc, it would be AMAZING!

Hang in there. We'll help you out. Just keep in mind that you DID buy better speakers than a HTIB system, and while I would say that this is far from DIY, I understand your frustration and again, we'll help you out.

What sub and surround speakers do you have?

Farewell - June 4, 2020
MCL #225746 10/17/08 12:58 PM
I will echo the sentiments already expressed here. I would try turning off the sub entirely and setting the speakers to large, at least until you can get the better sub. Also, definitely leave the EQ off, or at least check it for sanity. It's not always a foolproof thing, as you've discovered.

With everyone's combined knowledge here, I'm sure we can all help get you set up optimally before too long. Hang in there! \:\)

nickbuol #225747 10/17/08 12:59 PM
aficionado
aficionado
As an owner of An 805 I do not think that you are overtaxing your reciever at -4, I typiclly watch movies at that setting which corrosponds to about 80db with my setup M22s, VP150,QS8s.

Dave
DaveG #225750 10/17/08 01:44 PM
MCL,

How are the settings in the receiver for the speakers, small or large, and what crossover setting?

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #225753 10/17/08 02:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I can't say enough about the detail, clarity and wonderment from my M60a when I play a really good piece of source material. It blows me away in a relaxed sort of way. My Guests are constantly speechless as well.

However, if you are looking for a holy ____! Jaw Dropping, Blow You Away experience.... You need an outstanding sub.

My usual two quick demos.
"Eagles Hell Freezes Over" concert DVD
It starts with just a few instruments and I watch people sit in amazed anticipation. By the time the hand drums kick in, thier jaw has dropped and they are wide eyed but silent.

After a bit of music, I put in a movie. Master and Commander to start. I watch them look around the room and the ceiling trying to figure out where the sound is coming from. Finally when the canon fire moves in on them and the walls are exploding, you hear various versions of "HOLY _____". If they want the room to shake, I'll pop in the tripod scene from War of the Worlds. I've seen people dig their nails into the arm of my couch during that one.

After the experiencing the musical clarity of really good main speakers, nothing quiet blows you away like a really good sub.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
MCL #225758 10/17/08 04:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi MCL,

I'm delighted to hear that you turned off the Audyssey EQ. I'd suggest that you leave it permanently turned off. As you've discovered, Audyssey EQ--marketed as some kind of sonic panacea--has the ability to make really neutral, transparent-sounding speakers like the Axiom M60s sound bad. Audyssey is a flawed EQ system that often results in calls or emails to Axiom like yours from new speaker buyers who are disappointed in the sound they're getting.

As everyone has noted, a really good subwoofer and QS8 surrounds will greatly improve things. How large is your room--length, width, height--and how far back are you from the M60s? If you like really loud, clean levels of the sort that some of my Axiom colleagues prefer, you may want to consider an outboard power amplifier of, say, 200 watts per channel for the M60s (you'd use the Onkyo's left and right pre-outs to the power amp).

However, you're ahead of the game already by turning off the Audyssey EQ.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #225759 10/17/08 04:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Alan, you know, I've been feeling like I'm missing something when I watch movies, and I bet it's due to the Audyssey EQ. I'll try switching it off this weekend to see if I notice an improvement.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #225760 10/17/08 04:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I know I liked the sound of my epic 80-500 and denon 3808 combo much better without audyssey

-David
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020