Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Visiting New Orleans & Destin, FL area . Ideas?
#226433 10/23/08 01:16 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Ok, Axiom friends, I want some advice!

In about a month, my wife & I are going to take a little weekend getaway and head down to the gulf coast. Just to escape Illinois for a few days. We've decided that we're staying for a couple of days in New Orleans, and then a couple of days in Destin, FL. A quick trip. We've never been to either. NOLA because we had plans to visit in September of '05 that didn't work out so well. Destin because it's about the closest ocean beach from our house, and my wife (who grew up 2 blocks from the ocean) needs to get back to saltwater for a few days.

So, dear Axiom friends, who here lives near, or has lots of experience with either NOLA or Destin? What would you recommend that we do there? I am researching both online, but that never compares to the experiences and advice of those that actually live there, or are regular visitors.

For NOLA, we want to get real taste for the city - at least as much as can be done in a couple of days. We're not interested in partying all night on Bourbon street, nor visiting outlet malls nor any other tourist-trap sort of thing. But we'd love to get a feel for the real history, sights, sounds, and tastes of New Orleans. Especially restaurants. We're eaters, and we would love nothing more than to experience real, honest, New Orleans cuisine. The restaurants where the locals go. Advice?

For Destin, it's a bit different. We're just going there to relax, get some sand between our toes, and stare at the ocean for a couple of days. I know, November isn't exactly the high season for sun & surf. But we like the quiet of visiting such places when other tourists aren't there. Anyone have any good ideas for there? Restaurants (really good local seafood would be excellent), scenic areas, parks, beaches, etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice or insights you can offer!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
Re: Visiting New Orleans & Destin, FL area . Ideas?
PeterChenoweth #226500 10/23/08 07:07 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
A few years ago I drove the entire Florida cost line looking for investment and also retirement property. I loved the Destine area and bought a 20 acre parcel that was half a mile from sand. On one side of the parcel was land that Disney owned and had plans to build a gated community. I ended up selling the land and have regretted that dumb assed decision ever since. I didn’t spend much time in the area, but do remember it being pretty laid back and the locals were a bit younger than the typical Florida retirement age. Everyone I met was very friendly and helpful. Hopefuly things haven’t changed much since then…..

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044