Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Is it worth getting a headphone amp
MarkSJohnson #230391 11/18/08 05:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
It was like looking at a masterpiece through a glass window that is slightly dirty. You get used to it, but when the glass is removed: voila! Let there be light!

Go ahead and say it. You know you want to.

"A veil has been lifted".

It's more like if it has dissolved rather than been lifted! \:\)

See Mojo's signature
lkv_11 #230743 11/20/08 02:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
[quote=lkv_11][quote=alan]
Also, I don't think they change the sound in the original recording, but rather they bring the sound closer to the original recording as it was meant to be heard.
/quote]

I am not defending tube amp sound or discrediting it but I had a recent experience that made me think of this thread. I actually enjoyed this experience at a colleagues house a few weeks ago but it got me thinking about the the comment above.

I was there for other reasons but when I saw his home made Tube Amp glowing like it was alive in his living room, I had to ask if I could have a listen. I wouldn't even try to fake my way through putting the sound of his home made speakers and home made tube amps into words, except to say that I enjoyed it as a very pleasurable experience.

As part of what turned into a much longer visit, he started proudly demonstrating that he had three different tube amps ( two homemade), each with different tube setups. He explained how he has been experimenting with different tube types to perfect his sound. We wired in an A/B switch (you guessed it, home made) and he started switching back and forth. We hardly fell into any controlled blind listening standards but I am very sure I could hear a n obvious difference in what I will call tonal quality in at least one of the three different setups. Between two, I couldn't tell them apart but he did his best ot try and explain the subtle differences.

So my point is, if the hobby of tube amps has experimenting with different tubes to perfect the sound as part of the fun factor (which I think is great) then obviously, tubes do color the sound as each one is potentially capable of coloring it differently.

Again, this is not to demote or promote the use of tube amps, but I think this does indicate that unless you have found that elusive holy grail of tube combinations, it is not automatically bringing you closer to the real thing because coloration seems to not only be involved, but be part of the hobby itself.

That being said, I think I'm more of a purist but I do now want a tube amp just for the fun of playing around with them. Yet another expensive item to add to my "my wife is going to kill me soon" list.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #234174 12/10/08 10:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not more news (still very, very happy with both headphone amps), but I received a tall telephone table I ordered to make it nicer and more convenient. I am also waiting (a few days overdue actually) a HH10 Sennheiser headphone holder to make it nice.

Table is a bit pricy (140$CAN), but it is very sturdy and I will order two more to replace the small, ugly 2-foot high stool holding my back surround.

Here's the "corner" view.

The table has a drawer so I can put headphone-related cables and stuff. Makes the rest of my tables less crowdy with rarely-used stuff. (it also help hide the mass of cable in the corner!)

See Mojo's signature
alan #234910 12/15/08 05:43 AM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: alan

These comments apply except to tube devices, where all sorts of anomalies may alter the frequency response, noise, and distortion. (Yes, 2x6, tube distortion can be heard by many listeners as a positive quality--a so-called "richness" or "warmth" in the bass that isn't present on the original recording. But it's still a distortion of what was intended by the recording engineer and producer.)

I completely agree. I remember going into a hifi store looking for new speakers. The salesman tried to get me interested in a valve amp/speaker package. First we listened to a quite good pair of speakers (can't remember what they were) through a mid range Rotel solid state amp. Then he switched to a "Fat Boy" valve amp (why do they have such silly names?), and the difference was realy obvious. I couldn't say which one sounded the most inoffensive, but the difference was SO marked that the valve amp must have been coloring the sound significantly.

I agree - the more netural the better. That way I know what I am getting, and if I need to tweak it, I can get consistent results.

I must add though, that I don't think all solid state amps sound the same. The differences are obviously more subtle than what you get between different speakers and sources, but they exist \:\)

Shane

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020