Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Complete Surround Systems???
#2313 03/27/02 09:37 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I intend on purchasing the Axiom Epic 80, only not all at one time because I just purchases a Toshiba 65H81 for $2790 (great price) and it kinda broke me a bit. Anyhow I've been researching speakers for about a day, but I've been using the web since its conception so it doesn't take me long to figure out what's what. Audiophiles in general seem to hate Bose and prefer Cambridge Sound and Paradigm for overall quality and reasonable price. Also looked at many other including but not limited to PSB, Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics, Acousic Research, JBL, Pioneer and Infinity etc...I found Axiom M80 on my own, but they appear to be comparable or even better than Cambridge T500, Paradigm 90P and Jamo 870. Decided what I really need is the Center first, then the surrounds and then another pair of main. Currently have the older Bose 701's, which are bad by any means., but I will probably replace them in a few months w/ something better. My questions now. Cambridge does have a T500 HT system that looks very close to the Epic 80 but comes w/ built in 300 Class D subwoofer amp in the Mains so still haven't completely made up my mind as to which system I will purchase. I am also still looking at Paradigm's System 9 Monitor system. Undoubtedly they are all very impresive systems. The thing I like most about the Axiom system is the Center 150 channel which, after researching, is the best of the three and of course is the most important part of a Home Theater system.

Where can I purchase Axiom Epic 80 or underlying components online or locally here in Austin, Texas?

How long will Epic 80 be available before being replaced by newer models? I want to ensure that I get the (5) driver center at a minimum beforehand.

How would you folks rate the M80 in comparrison w/ the T500 and 90P mentioned above or does anybody have any listening experience w/ these models?

Re: Complete Surround Systems???
#2314 03/27/02 10:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You are looking at speakers that are in different segments. I would say that Axiom, PSB, Paradigm - products of the excellent Canadian speaker industry, would top this list. Bringing up the bottom of this list would be Jamo, Pioneer, with the others in the middle of the pack. An interesting note about the CSW line, one of the speaker industry pioneers is part of this company - Henry Kloss. While I really liked his computer speaker ensemblages, I have not heard his audio pieces.

There is a Retailers link on the Axiom homepage, but it does not seem to list anything but dealers in Canada. They do have online ordering, and a generous warranty and return policy.

Oh yeah...nice television!

#2315 03/27/02 10:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello,
I replied directly via email to some of dlaraman's questions about US sales.
I would concur, BBIBH, with your judgments of the brands mentioned. By the way, Henry Kloss was a brilliant engineer responsible for inventing (among other things) the video projector, acoustic-suspension speakers, and encouraging and implementing (for the first time) Ray Dolby's original Dolby B tape noise reduction system. Unfortunately he passed away a few weeks ago.

Cambridge Soundworks speakers are pleasant but, in my judgment, never great. Alas, Henry K never had the advantage of the National Research Council in Ottawa to further develop his speakers. But Henry's designs always offered good to very good sound for the money ('70s vintage Advent, vintage KLH, vintage AR).

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#2316 03/27/02 10:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That is unfortunate to hear about Henry Kloss. While I knew about his contributions to speakers, I was unaware of his contributions in other areas.

I had heard several of the brands you mention, and felt they were unrefined. NRC would have been one vehicle for him, but it would not have been the only one available. However, at this point it does not matter.

Can you share your US Sales information? This may be beneficial to others.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044