Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The Streamer is dead, long live the Streamer!
#231733 11/27/08 01:55 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Tonight I retired my faithful SoundBridge 1001 which gave me a lot of pleasure for 2 years. Alas, the electrical noise introduced in the sound (digital from A to Z!!! what the heck is that all about???) had gotten unbearable, even after the "power regulator" had improved the situation to the point of being nearly unnoticeable for a few months.

So I am a bit sad, but I now have a SqueezeBox Duet. OK so far. Sound is MUCH better (in the sense that it now sound like a CD without all that weird noise!) and it is nice to have artwork and text on the remote for my 40-year old, diabetes dammaged eyes. By I have to admit browsing is much slower (2-8 times slower depending on caching) than with the soundbridge. Still worth it, though. Just an adjustment period, I guess.

Now for the funny story (there had to be one!).
After I set everything up (with the controller in its charging craddle), I was a bit annoyed that the slightest movement made the controller reboot. In any case, I re-packed everything for the recycling bing. I was about to bring the packing down into the container downstairs, but decided to be lazy. An hour earlier, I had been a bit puzzled that the first intructions on the installation manual was about battery replacement. Usually that is put in a "troubleshooting" section. Then I got re-intrigued by the constrant "rebooting" of the controller. I picked it back up (after one hour charging) and the thing went dead on me. Hm... I opened it... No battery!!!! I scrambled towards the garbage and... found the battery! It had looked like a sticker so I had not paid attention to it! I very nearly threw away the battery!

So now it doesn't reboot all the time! It's a pretty cool streamer. A bit expensive, but well built. The controller itself has a 1/8" jack that gives an alright line out for a headphone amp (I tried it). That might avoid me to buy a second receiver station for my bedroom.

Anyway, this was just to share my sadness for the dismissal my beloved SoundBride and to welcome its more-than-adequate replacement!

See Mojo's signature
Re: The Streamer is dead, long live the Streamer!
EFalardeau #231738 11/27/08 02:10 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Your beloved SoundBride, how sentimental, I love it! \:D

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
SatKartr #232051 11/29/08 03:33 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Important update:

For those of you tempted by the SqueezeBox Duet AND who are already in possession of an iPhone or an iPod Touch, I have installed the iPeng app (10$, but worth it), which can be used with success instead of the SqueezeBox Controller (which is 75% of the cost of the Duet).

So, you can buy the just to receiver for 170US$. If I had known the iTouch was good enough (on some aspects even better), I would have saved myself a good 400CAN$.

Additional: if you install the iPend, make sure to power off then power on the iTouch or iPhone as the app is astonishingly slow at first. Once you reboot, it is very rapid and 10 times better than the lame "Remote" application made by Apple for iTunes.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #232070 11/29/08 12:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
One more reason to get an iPhone... Either that or the Touch is on my Christmas list. However, I need a new phone too, so it seems silly to buy them separately. \:\)

Good to know Eric, thanks for posting.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082