Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Speaker cable
#23218 10/26/03 10:40 PM
aficionado
aficionado
josh,ignore those other posts and pick up a set of theese.......ron
http://gallery.consumerreview.com/audio/gallery/files/opus-mm.asp

Last edited by rcvecc; 10/26/03 10:43 PM.
#23219 10/26/03 10:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

btw...this is not an opinion - it's my own personal experience. Banana plugs do not stay seated in my M60's. I've never had an issue with other speakers, but with my M60's, the banana would slip out with the slightest movement of the speaker. I've switched to spades and tightened them down nicely. (I have to move my speakers frequently to reach a closet door behind my system.)

Yea. When I have used bananas on my Axioms they do the same. They are a bit more snug than my DJ speakers though.

#23220 10/26/03 10:45 PM
aficionado
aficionado
rvcecc that's transparent audio cable, correct? A friend of mine uses not those but their 'lowest-end' cables for the wire and some less expensive interconnects

Edit: I checked the link again and actually read the caption - heh - wow. Expensive.

#23221 10/26/03 11:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
i cant imagine those cables being a big seller,but it must be nice to be able to piss away that kind of money for speaker wire.the most i ever spent on speaker wire is 300usd for a 12' pair of mit2 terminator wire.i was running a acurus a150 amp through klipsch speakers and there was definetly a change in the sound from regular,run of the mill wire to the mit----was it better?depends on what you like---was it worth the money?hell no.luckily i was able to sell them for what i paid because i picked them up at a bargain price(so the salesman said)....ron

#23222 10/26/03 11:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Yea, I woudln't buy cable that expensive, Ron.

So wow - you could actually tell the difference. Not just placebo effect, eh? (or was it )

#23223 10/26/03 11:27 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

We seem to be able to discuss pretty much anything else on these boards (excempt amps) without having such heated negativity thrown around

Amps and (lest we forget a certian recent thread) censorious paranoria.

In reply to:

so why get into a pissing match? We'll just post what WE feel

With all due respect, I think Chess was posting what he feels (although I do feel that the wording could have been a tad more diplomatic) and quite frankly, he beat me to it.

I'm sorry but I have a problem with asking people not to express themselves (in perhaps the only way they know how). Allowing people to express themselves in an unfetttered way can also give the reader great insight into that persons way of thinking ("know thine enemy" sort of thing-if applicable). And I think this is important if we are to consider ourselves an Axiom community. In other words, I want the whole enchilada

BTW,

In reply to:

I simply don't understand why peoples opinions on cables always reaches such ugly levels.

I think it may have something to do with fraudulent claims by cable companies.

I don't have a problem with a cable company charging $2000.00 for a 3' piece of wire (a fool and his money are easily parted) as long as that company is not making some outragous scientific claim that can only be substantiated by ear alone.

I know this has been a bit of a rant and I apologize for that.

P.S: I too have had crappy banana plugs that wouldn't stay put. But the upside is that if the cable is inadvertently jerked out, it is less likely to damage the binding post. But there are well made bananas and there are poorly made bananas. Daaaay-O! Daaa-aa-yO!

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#23224 10/26/03 11:54 PM
C
old hand
old hand
C
I actually saw a pair of those Transparent OPUS MM's at a local audio shop.. hooked up to a pair of B&W Nautilus 802s. The wire is so big, it looks horrible. It looks like an exposed plumbing system or something.

#23225 10/27/03 12:11 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Nope,not just placebo effect, eh? although, specs may say otherwise,my ears overide all statistics,thats why i love my system...by the way,how do you like your rsw-15?...ron

#23226 10/27/03 12:23 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

by the way,how do you like your rsw-15?...ron

Really dislike it. It's not that it's a bad subwoofer, but it was a bad investment for me. I have two subs (one on each system), and my Eminence 15 LF Magnum with a 400 W Plate amp and a custom box just seems to have a huge edge over the klipsch in terms of musical clarity. The Klipsch can be a lot more violent, though (which is pretty nice in movies). I won't lie; it's impressive, but for the price, it should be. Now, while my Eminence can't pull those insane levels, it can still pull over 115 dB at 20 Hz in (small) room with corner placement. The whole system of the eminence woofer, box, and plate-amp cost me a little over $700, whereas the Klipsch cost me almost 3 times as much. If your goal is a home theater system, I cannot think of a better sub than the Klipsch RSW-15 (as I havn't heard the likes of HSU, but it is a tad more powerful than an SVS [sorry I forget the model] I heard and almost as good as the 18" mammoth from Velodyne). If your goal is for music, I wouldn't be able to think of anything better than a setup that has either an Adire woofer (Tempest or Tumult or Shiva MkIII if you want a 12" driver) or an Eminence Professional Series 15 LF Magnum.

I have to add one thing, for those to whom it applies... The Klipsch is a beautiful subwoofer. It becomes a centerpoint of your room. The DIY Eminence I have while not looking that good, is still presentable. If looks are a concern to you, you will love those cones. Although, I'm sure you already know this, as you had some beautiful klipsch's before.

#23227 10/27/03 12:55 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Spiff wrote:
"Once again the cable thread rears it's ugly head.

I simply don't understand why peoples opinions on cables always reaches such ugly levels. We seem to be able to discuss pretty much anything else on these boards (excempt amps) without having such heated negativity thrown around."

I don't think it's the discussion which reaches the same "ugly" level, it's the same ugly people who invariably bring the discussion down to their level

We know who will not tolerate any opinion which differ from their own. Personally, I've almost had it with the arrogant and insulting tone of the 'usual suspects' here. It's a disgrace - and makes the Axiom website a much less hospitable a place for folks to drop by and discuss audio matters and questions in a friendly and open manner.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters