Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Speaker cable
#23238 10/27/03 05:18 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Comeon people; let's keep it away from personal remarks.

Anyways, changing the subject, has anyone had any experience with the Revel Performa B15? I'm thinking of selling my RSW-15 and my DIY Eminence and adding in some money and buying one of these subs. From what I hear, they are basically the best in any reasonable price range. Anyone has any experience with them?

#23239 10/27/03 05:28 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

This is an extreme example for which we both know is not what is occurring. Besides, you do not constantly run several hundred watts of power to speakers. Most power ranges under several watts. If they did not, then tube amps would be pretty much a waste of time.

Heh - yea of course. But I was just mentioning that for the rare peaks; where you don't want anything getting in the way. Plus any bit of resistance will diminish the output, even if you cannot notice it (it may be insignificant, however).

In reply to:

I've used them with my Axiom setup for over a year and a half with no problems and i was switching speakers around rather regularly (couple times a month) for awhile there during some auditioning.

Indeed; for A/B testing, you NEED Banana's. That's the reason why I still have some for my actual rigs (if I want to test a new speaker, etc) and not just for my DJ setup.

In reply to:

However, optical cable is designed for curvature of the cable. It has to in real world applications and for those that are not so sure...light does bend.

Yea, of course it bends [Difference in refraction levels included {although they play more of a role in the initial input and exit from the cable}, but this also differs by wavelength, adding to my point in theory, and your's in practice.]

In reply to:

Did you know those high capacity optical cables can carry in excess of 400GB per SECOND of data!??

Indeed - the OC192's and up (hence the name Optical Connection, right? Or something along those lines?)

In reply to:

If optical cable could not be bent at all then consider why companies like Nortel would be producing and running hundreds of thousands of kilometres of optical cable for world communications.

I always thought that they weren't bent, but rather passed through their amplifiers and they would change the angle of the light and increase the signal; but keeping the actual cables themselves straight. It may be different now, though, as I havn't checked up on my information in the last few years.

In reply to:

My old Technics system had a similar problem. The fault was in the connection of the optical cable to the unit itself. Cheap plastic ends from the original boxed cables must have become worn down and became loose. Switching to a new cable fixed the problem.

BAH!! (at Acoustic Research) I have an AR optical cable that I can't use anymore unless I like the occasional noise session then.

EDIT: now that I think about it; it is probably that because before I decided on placement, wires were all over the place and I tripped over the cable on several occasions.

#23240 10/27/03 06:12 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Come to think of it; I think my setup would have remained a mess (and it was quite the mess with the lcd resting on the antec 10x0/enermax fs-710 case with cables going through and around everything) if it wasnt for nag factor (Alice), who found it unacceptable - lol - and her decisions seem to be much more powerful than mine. "Alice, dontcha love my new speakers?" "you are so obscessed" "yea, but you like that don't ya" "bah! move them or ill move them" "NEVER!!!! No one touches my audio equipment"

Yeah, um, it went like that (but I didn't say the last line and she doesnt say "bah" like I do -lol); but I meant to say that last line (and that's what matters, right?), it just didn't come out like that, in practice. I'm sure you all know what I mean...

During all of this, however, the speakers were in optimal position, as I had everything measured out distance-wise (chair to speakers and speakers from wall, etc). So it was 'functional.'

#23241 10/27/03 01:51 PM
local
local
I've been very happy buying cables, banana plugs, etc from both partsexpress.com and accessories4less.com.

#23242 10/27/03 03:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I always thought that they weren't bent, but rather passed through their amplifiers and they would change the angle of the light and increase the signal; but keeping the actual cables themselves straight. It may be different now, though, as I havn't checked up on my information in the last few years.

DJ, there are routing points along the line that can receive and redirect or reamplify the signal, but these are a good distance apart.
There is a nifty article here from the Howstuffworks site about the story of fiber optics for those that are more curious.
Specifically this page describes the total internal reflection theory on which the principle of light transmission in the cable works and also briefly discusses the signal degradation that occurs. Note the distances and keep in mind that these signals are ones and zeroes hence degradation is a moot point as long as the receiving end can still recognize the incoming values. The strength of those values is not of any consequence unlike an analog signal.

Lastly, this page in that article gives a short list of advantage of fiber optics which includes a higher carrying capacity and less signal degradation compared to copper as well as a note on its physical flexibility. Something many also have not considered....the dreaded corrosion of coppper vs. glass!
The follow up links are quite good for more specific and detailed information.

In reply to:

I have an AR optical cable that I can't use anymore unless I like the occasional noise session then.

EDIT: now that I think about it; it is probably that because before I decided on placement, wires were all over the place and I tripped over the cable on several occasions.

That is never a good thing, tripping over wires that is.
I was rather annoyed at having to buy a new optical cable but the one i had originally was the one that came with the unit which always seems to be of poor build quality. I've had the jackets crack and expose wire over time, ends come loose and soldering come apart.
Rarely do i use the cables bundled with an electronic unit anymore. They are just too feebly built.
The relatively inexpensive AR or Ultralink interconnects i've bought on ebay have been excellent. The Ultralink optical cable fits nice and snug as it should. No movement.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#23243 10/27/03 08:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ah alright. Fair enough . I also never considered corrosion into the picture - heh. Now that I live in Baltimore, MD, I probably should (I am originally from San Diego, CA [ to the San Diego fires]) as it actually rains here.

#23244 10/29/03 08:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I was just watching a documentary on the Salem witch trials that I may show to my classes (Halloween, y'know) and it made me think of you guys and this recurring cable thread.

I'm not sure, but I think you're the witch, Chess.

#23245 10/30/03 12:43 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Disclaimer: I am not an electrical engineer, nor am I a physicist specializing in optics.

However, I have used both optical and coaxial digital connections in my setup and have only ever experienced problems with optical.

Though optical cables are designed to be bent, my understanding is the material within can break--losing the continuity of the light signal. I have had an optical cable "break" in the past, evidenced by its inability to produce a red glow when connected to an output with a live signal. Surely, this was due to my "connect and shove" method of hooking up components in my entertainment cabinet.

I see no difference in sending ones and zeros over optical or coaxial cable for home theater purposes. Therefore, I choose the coaxial for its durability (never broke one).

Thanks for your time, and please dont't hate me.

-------------------------------------------------
M60s, VP150 and QS8s (2)