AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13317 Members
11 Forums
22877 Topics
404371 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17775
pmbuko 16274
SirQuack 13333
CV 11202
MarkSJohnson 10886
Meanwhile On Facebook

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

A New Look For Our Amps and Pre-amps? Adding yet another level of customization...

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#232909 - 12/05/08 10:37 AM Re: LCD TV owners...seeking input [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
alan Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Toronto/New York/Dwight
Hi Cam,

DLP displays do not have motion artifacts and they are capable of excellent video quality. Typically their shadow detail and blacks aren't quite as good as plasma, more on a par with LCD. They are capable of brilliant contrasty images that are very detailed.

The bulb-driven DLPs do generate rainbow effects, which are visible to a tiny minority of viewers and may prove annoying. The newer LED-driven DLPs do not use a spinning color wheel, and so should not have any visible rainbow effects--I couldn't see any in a Samsung demo, and I taught myself to see rainbow effects when I want to. The LED light source does fire sequentially, so in theory it could produce rainbow effects, but I didn't see any.

The other downside to DLP rear-projection images is that they get dimmer when viewed from extreme angles to either side and also from a standing position.

Regards,
Alan

#232912 - 12/05/08 10:40 AM Re: LCD TV owners...seeking input [Re: alan]
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making

Loc: Richland, WA, USA
I've heard people tout the blacks of DLP. So it's not definitely better than LCD in that regard?

#232973 - 12/05/08 03:58 PM Re: LCD TV owners...seeking input [Re: alan]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Sitting down somewhere
 Originally Posted By: alan

The other downside to DLP rear-projection images is that they get dimmer when viewed from extreme angles to either side and also from a standing position.

What is a standing position? If it requires standing, I'm good to go \:D \:D . Seriously though, I don't understand.

#232974 - 12/05/08 04:18 PM Re: LCD TV owners...seeking input [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
thefwam Offline
local

Loc: Utah, USA
Cam,

My 3LCD rear pro tv has similar effects when you are at extreme angles in any direction. When sitting watching a movie, there's no problems, everything looks good, and even pretty wide angles (~45-50 degrees to a side) the TV still looks really great. Standing is pretty terrible. My tv is maybe 20-24" off the ground, perfect for watching in a seated position, but when standing up for any reason (guitar hero) the colors wash out, and sometimes even look kind of like they are a negative of whatever is displayed. It's not a major concern most of the time, and when standing, but farther away (when i'm cooking) the TV looks perfectly fine, it's just those extreme angles. does that help at all? or did i totally miss your question.

#232982 - 12/05/08 04:49 PM Re: LCD TV owners...seeking input [Re: thefwam]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Thanks Steve, yes you did answer my question. I'm not usually guilty of Pavlov's dog, but I thought I would ask. I have read very favorable reviews/comments about Samsung DLP's and I have thought that they are better than LCDs (maybe some others could chime in). As mentioned before, the TV is next on the "upgrade list" so I haven't done any viewing whatsoever, just research online.

#233104 - 12/05/08 11:30 PM Re: LCD TV owners...seeking input [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
Warrant Offline
buff

As the owner of a Samsung DLP hl61a750 it was my choice after 6 months of looking, buying, returning, buying, etc. Having a 60" Pioneer Kuro and 65" Panny and 65 Sharp in the house, I chose the Samsung. After a little AVS calibration it just looked better to me.

#233136 - 12/06/08 08:20 AM Re: LCD TV owners...seeking input [Re: Warrant]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Thanks Warrant, I just saw the new 72in. Samsung for $2700 at Costco online, not a bad price if you ask me.

#233137 - 12/06/08 08:25 AM Re: LCD TV owners...seeking input [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
myrison Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Austin, TX
That is one seriously big TV...

#233157 - 12/06/08 10:06 AM Re: LCD TV owners...seeking input [Re: Da_Gimp_Pimp]
Warrant Offline
buff

Hey no problem, it seems rare that I can help raTHER THAN BEING HELPED. A word of caution though, the 72" is a bulb dlp whereas mine is led. My kids found the bulb unit noisy...my hearing is far enough gone to miss that. Costco seems to carry the 61" led and the Brick has the 67" led. If you aren't worried about the depth of the unit and want "big" look at the 67" led.

Darn fat fingers.

#233161 - 12/06/08 10:25 AM Re: LCD TV owners...seeking input [Re: Warrant]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Yes, my eye has always been on the 67 in. but I couldn't find it at The Bricks website. Actually, I believe Leon's is the only distributor of the 67 in. as far as Samsung's website says, I'll have to look again at The Bricks website.

Thanks

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.