Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cable Box hookup Question
#236948 12/27/08 05:34 AM
Wegiz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
This is probably a simple question, but it’s confusing to me, so I’m hoping you guys can help me out. Anyway, I’m getting a digital/HD cable box from Comcast, and before the cable guy comes to install it, I’m wondering about how it should be hooked into my system. I have an HD TV with probably lots of different kinds of inputs, but I know it has only one HDMI port. Currently, I have no cable box, so the coax runs straight from the wall into the TV. My DVD player runs into the AV receiver (Onkyo TXSR 805) via HDMI, and from there continuing HDMI into the TV. So, when watching cable TV, the sound is handled by the TV. When watching a DVD, the sound is processed by the Onkyo with all it’s 5.1 Axiom goodness. It’s easy to switch back and forth by pressing the source button on the TV. When I get the Digital/HD cable box, I could hook it up in one of two ways:

1) Just how I have it now, straight to the TV. The problem here is that I would like to watch movies via Video on Demand/HBO HD, in surround sound.

2) Hook the cable box into the AV receiver. The problem here is that it seems like I would then need to *always* have the receiver on to watch just regular TV. Is this how most folks set things up? Seems like overkill to me.

Anyway, I’m guessing that I’m not the first person to ask this question, and it’s probably (I’m hoping) simpler that I’m making it out to be. Also, if someone can point me to a thread where this has already been discussed, I’d appreciate it. My search kung fu isn’t as strong as I’d like, I guess. Thanks much.

M60's
VP150
QS8's
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC
Re: Cable Box hookup Question
Wegiz #236949 12/27/08 05:46 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I always have my whole system on, even when I'm watching regular TV. I only watch over-the-air HD programming, though. Still, it seems like you should be able to connect the cable box to the TV and then pass audio from the TV to the receiver for when you want to utilize that. On my TV, I know I have to turn off the TV speaker to have it route the sound to the receiver, which is a pain to go into the menu and do.

Wegiz #236962 12/27/08 07:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

If both your cable box and HDTV both have other compatible outputs and inputs respectively you could have a direct hookup to the HDTV for standard viewing and the HDMI hookup to the receiver for the surround stuff, but it sounds like more trouble than it’s worth to me. I do something similar by running a separate CRT direct from my cable box but that’s because I’m usually using the HDTV as a computer monitor while also watching TV.

But for dedicated TV watching even standard channels I watch on the HDTV with the audio run through the receiver and speakers (oops headphones now). I think it sounds better that way and often used some sort of digital processing like multi-channel stereo to enhance it.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #236966 12/27/08 09:53 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Frank I couldn't tell you whether or not our TVs internal speakers are working or not, they were turned off on the initial setup over three years ago and everything TV has been ran through the surround system since. My theory is, if it's there, I'm going to use it ... that's what I bought it for.

I also have Comcast and use the Motorola DCT6412 (Dual-Tuner) HD box, which does not have HDMI so mine is connected via component cables to the TV and AVR (if I remember correctly). I have three DVD players and run them HDMI from the TV to a three way switcher to the players and then optical out to my H/K AVR, which does not have HDMI connects. Whenever switching from TV to DVDs all I have to change is the TVs outputs from Comp. to HDMI within the TVs setup menu ... EZPZ with the universal remote.

DCT6412 Dual-Tuner

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #236985 12/27/08 06:01 PM
veteran
veteran
Like Rick says there is no reason to listen to your TV speakers when you have a surround set up. Any modern cable box will have an optical or coax audio out. Just run it into your receiver and control the sound source switching with your receiver.

Whose avatar should I borrow next?
wilwom #237028 12/28/08 12:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
One reason to do so is to be able to turn your TV/cable volume up only when you want to hear what is on the screen and otherwise listen to a CD/Music/etc. in the background while occasionally glancing at the TV.

I used to do this often while reading before getting a projector and I miss being able to have one video source running and another audio source. The Denon 3808 allows for this to some extent, but it won't let you do this with any HDMI sources, which limits the functionality quite a bit given that most of what I have is plugged in via HDMI.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #237059 12/28/08 05:00 AM
Wegiz Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks for good suggestions. I guess I couldn't get my brain wrapped around always having the receiver on, but the idea is growing on me. Anyway, the new cable box was installed today and the cable guy would only set it up one way -- ignoring the receiver completely. It does support HDMI though, so I think I'll run out and get an HDMI cable tomorrow and try running it through the receiver. Thanks again.

M60's
VP150
QS8's
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC
Wegiz #237093 12/28/08 03:58 PM
I now how everything going through my receiver and on to the TV.

But I have an additional connection (component) running from my TiVo box straight to the TV... bypassing the receiver. The reason? Sometimes I sleep in the living room and the TV has a sleep timer, the receiver does not. By switching inputs occasionally on the TV, I can watch TV without the receiver being on all night (plus sometimes when just watching MASH or something, my wife doesn't feel the need to have the whole system on and would rather just use the TV by itself.

For that reason, I programmed the TVs volume into the remote so it shows up under the TiVo controls as well.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #237095 12/28/08 04:40 PM
devotee
devotee
Even at low levels, the difference between real speakers and tv speakers is HUGE. The best part about having all that stuff is you can take advantage of it basically all the time (no matter what the source is.)

I run my cable into a Tivo series 3 unit with cable cards instead of a cable box, but is just hooked into my receiver like everything else through. If you're using the receiver to scale/process the video signal, you may need to adjust the lipsync settings a bit to make sure the sound matches your video.

Wegiz #237099 12/28/08 05:13 PM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
 Originally Posted By: Wegiz
Thanks for good suggestions. I guess I couldn't get my brain wrapped around always having the receiver on, but the idea is growing on me. Anyway, the new cable box was installed today and the cable guy would only set it up one way -- ignoring the receiver completely. It does support HDMI though, so I think I'll run out and get an HDMI cable tomorrow and try running it through the receiver. Thanks again.

I believe some AVRs that support CEC will allow you to pass through the audio if the AVR gets turned off. So if you turn off your AVR, the TV's speakers will kick in. I'm pretty sure Denon's 3808 does this (if you've purchased the $100 feature upgrade)

Last edited by Hansang; 12/28/08 05:13 PM.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082