Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Steps for streamin DVDs with 5.1 sound through PS3
#238368 01/06/09 12:52 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK, I felt ashamed that I always answer this question with "I use TVersity. Works great but I forget how to set it up." So last night, I blew TVersity away off my PC along with all the codec packs and vowed to rebuild it and record the steps. I figure I owe many of you at least that much for all your help in the past.

I'll post the short version here but if you really are interested, I'll post a link to a word doc where I go into a lot more detail for someone starting off relatively fresh. I started writing it for a total newb to codecs audience but had to give up on that because even in it's scaled back version, it's a nine page document without even adding some much needed screenshots. I guess I could improve it if there is a lot of interest but it won't be for everybody. Sometimes it is easier to just get up off the couch and put a DVD in an old fashioned player.

Short Version:
1. Install TVersity from www.tversity.com Relatively simple. Take note of the Folders that you set up to share your movies and other media.

2. Find and install a codec pack that seems to work with your ripped DVD files. To get my configuration of Windows Media Player 11 running in Windows XP, service pack 3, I had to use the "K-Lite Codec Pack 4.4.5 (standard edition)". It can be downloaded From Here.

3. Rip your DVDs using your favorite DVD ripping software. I use either "DVD Shrink" and sometimes "DVD Decrypter". Both are free and Google will easily find you a copy. The biggest trick here is to make sure your ripper creates only a single .VOB file. Most will break it into chunks of several .vob files by default. Also, no need to waste space on menus, extras or other soundtracks. You can't access them easily anyways when you stream a movie to the PS3 as the menus will not be available. Use the saved space to not have to do any video compression.

4. Although not a rule, you may have to rename the .VOB file to .MPG. This is sometimes more 'pleasing' to the PS3. You should also change the beginning to reflect the real name of the movie instead of something like "VTS_01_1.VOB"

5. Copy the files to the folder you set up TVersity to share. Refresh the TVersity Library and it should now appear on your PS3 when you connect to TVersity. (additional instructions can be found in the .doc file linked below.)

6. Sometimes it still just won't work (no audio) or you already have your movies encoded on your hard drive but already did it with multiple .VOB files and you don't want to drag all your DVDs out again (assuming they are not back at the rental shop because that would be illegal ;\) ). In the second scenario, it's EXTREMELY annoying to have to figure out which VOB file is which and you will have a long list of identically named files.

In either case, it's better to use this more complicated but foolproof method of rebuilding your files. There may be a simpler program but this method always works for me and you get one single, properly named file with 5.1 sound built into it for sure.

2.1 Use a program called PgcDemux, Found Here , to ‘demux’ these files into their separate audio and movie components. (see the downloadable Word Document for full instructions.)

2.2 Then ‘ReMux’ them into one big MPEG file using ImagoMPEG Found Here.

2.3 This should produce one single file with a .MPG extension. Rename the file to reflect the name of the movie (retain the .mpg) and copy it to your TVersity shared folder for videos. Refresh the TVersity library and it's ready to play.

NOTE: Don't be concerned if you try to test this file using Windows Media Player and the Dialog is missing. This file has a true AC3 Dolby Digital soundtrack embedded in it and that's it, so sometimes WMP has trouble with it. However, it will decode fine when sent it to your PS3.

If you are actually still interested, you can read more detailed instructions [url=http://www.mediafire.com/file/0ylmam4z5md/5 1 movies streamed to PS3.doc]In this link to an MS Word Doc. [/url]

However, it's unedited, unspellchecked and I finished it at 1:00am last night so it may make no sense at all. If there is interest, I'll take the time to clean it up.

Last edited by Murph; 01/06/09 01:02 PM. Reason: funny errors

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Steps for streamin DVDs with 5.1 sound through PS3
Murph #238370 01/06/09 01:05 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Sorry, I can't get that last link to display properly above. I think maybe its the spaces that MediaFire created in my file name. The manual version to copy and paste into your browser is below. Click on the download button on the page it takes you to.

"http://www.mediafire.com/file/0ylmam4z5md/5 1 movies streamed to PS3.doc"

Also, I see the other web links are missing in my word doc. They are included in the post above though. I meant to add them this morning before uploading it to be shared. I'll clean it up eventually.

Last edited by Murph; 01/06/09 01:07 PM. Reason: clarity

Murph #238371 01/06/09 01:08 PM
shareholder in the making
puppies are cute.....

I think I have to wait until there's an inexpensive black box to do this for me... I'm not that bright!

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 01/06/09 01:14 PM. Reason: Added second sentence so Murph would know he wasn't being insulted after putting in all that work!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #238373 01/06/09 01:12 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Sorry Mark, I forgot to mention this thread is only for people who have their home networked. People still passing notes to their wives using words made by upside down numbers on their calculators and calling that "electronic communications" probably won't enjoy it much.

snicker. Just kidding Buddy!

Murph #238375 01/06/09 01:17 PM
"BooBs" is the only word I ever learned to spell on the calculator. No matter how many times I show it to Joyce, she still isn't amused.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #238464 01/06/09 06:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Cool thanks. What about streaming blurays? Can you stream HD video and audio over a wireless connection with TVersity? Do you need special ripping softare for blurays? Any idea what the resulting file size would be?

-David
terzaghi #238487 01/06/09 07:57 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Sigh....
David is trying to kill me !!!!!!

Murph #238488 01/06/09 07:59 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK, now that I have calmed down. \:\)

I have not yet figured out how to stream Bluray or HD. I have seen (but not truly read) articles on ripping them to hard drives but that is as far as I have gotten. I'm thinking the size factor would mean youd have to be pretty dedicated to keep up with Hard Drive space but honestly, I have no idea.

Murph #238520 01/06/09 09:40 PM
J
J
Considering the latest media servers from Linksys and Dlink say they stream HD, it must be possible....

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #238525 01/06/09 09:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hmmmm... I was looking at the linksys 610N wireless router a while back which supposedly has a usb port to hook up an external HD and then can be used as a media server. Do you know if this is this the latest one that can stream HD?

-David
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020