Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Harmonics above 20khz
CV #243730 01/30/09 01:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: CV
 Originally Posted By: "From X. Significance of the results"
Oohashi and his colleagues infer that in audio comparisons, a substantial silent period is required between successive samples to avoid the second evaluation's being corrupted by 'hangover' of reaction to the first.

Does this mean instantaneous A/B comparisons may not be the way to go when comparing speakers/gear?

When I read this I couldn't help but think of wine testing, where the testers use some type of food to clear their pallet before testing another wine or where in a fragrance shop, they use a cup of coffee beans to help clear your 'bias' of the first scent. It makes sense in some ways to pause in an A/B test but it also makes sense to switchover quickly as I found, at least, I could hear huge differences between some speakers. Maybe the key is too A/B switch quickly, like most do, to narrow down your choices, then to listen more leisurely/critically on your final selections (I guess that's what most of us did).

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #243763 01/30/09 04:47 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Very interesting.

My first reaction was like Peter's - you can't HEAR that stuff, so it doesn't matter if it exists or not. If a note is played in the forest but it's inaudible, it doesn't matter if there is anybody there to hear it.

The brain wave thing is interesting, but I'm not sure it's compelling. Even if your ears are transmitting a signal to your brain at those frequencies (a claim of which I remain dubious), that doesn't necessarily mean that you are PERCEIVING those signals.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
pmbuko #243769 01/30/09 05:04 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
CV, how would that be cutting corners if that's exactly how a lot of modern source material is converted before mastering to CD? Master tapes are usually of higher resolution than the CD format can handle.

Note the bold. No matter if it's theoretically a perfect representation, it's not a CD, and there can always be arguments made (admittedly weak) that it's not showing the sum of differences between formats. To eliminate all doubts is to have actual SACDs and DVD-As versus actual CDs. Otherwise, it's cutting corners, or are we just not as anal about such details as the tweak faithful?

CV #243791 01/30/09 06:47 PM
I'm of the opinion that a D/A converter doesn't care where the digital stream is coming from before it sends the analog info along to the amp.

pmbuko #243806 01/30/09 07:08 PM
C
CV Offline
C
It's a fair opinion, and it's one I share. It simply seems like an unnecessary difference to leave in. I suppose the real point is that it's not SACD/DVD-A versus CD, but higher resolution audio versus lower resolution, and in that case, there's no need to bring those formats into it at all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup