Re: Amount of gain on EP500 volume control
BoB/335 #244718 02/04/09 12:41 AM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: BoB/335
 Originally Posted By: HAY

For the amount of time you've spent scrutinizing your decision and concerning how much money you're putting into this. I would hope you would have the interest and desire to want to learn to set it up correctly and maximize the potential. It really isn't that hard,

Who you talkin' to?

Me?

Yes sir.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
HAY #244728 02/04/09 01:30 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Issues with bass could have to do with a lot of different things.

Ricks comment about running the sub hot seems to be quite common and probably has to do with our reduced sensitivity to sound the lower we get in frequency. [Most] Everyone seems to run their sub hot.

Bass seems to be the most affected part of the spectrum in smaller rooms as well. Small rooms seem to bunch up room modes so that you get pronounced peaks or nulls, so that missing bass could well really be missing without it being the subs fault.

Room modes can also be beneficial. My first mode for room length is at around 24Hz and is probably the reason I am getting extension down to 21Hz with my EP350.

It can also be that whatever sub/speakers you had in the past had a boost at one frequency that you had gotten used to, so when you get a better sub like the EP500 that has a flat frequency response, you feel like you are missing something.

Last, but not least, it can be the position of the sub.

So, there are lots of variables in the equation and it can take a while to sort things out.

At this point there are three things you can do: tweek until you get tired of it and then call it a day, buy an EP800 ;\) , measure whats going on in your room to see whats going on.

The only way to know what is really going on in your room is to measure it either manually or with software like REW.

Here is an example of an in room measured response. If you look at the first graph you can see how there are peaks and valleys showing how my room and the position of the sub affects its response. Measuring like this can quickly tell you what is going on with your sub at various positions in your room.

Fixing some of the stuff you find while measuring can be challenging, but once you measure, at least you know what you are dealing with.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
HAY #244731 02/04/09 02:14 AM
B
aficionado
aficionado
B

For the amount of time you've spent scrutinizing your decision and concerning how much money you're putting into this. I would hope you would have the interest and desire to want to learn to set it up correctly and maximize the potential. It really isn't that hard,

Who you talkin' to?

Me?

Yes sir.

Hey Hay, (that's weird)

Yes this is a lot of money for me. Especially without having heard these speakers. Someone did offer an audition a while back but never came through. It's been weeks since I ordered. Many of my comments have been in jest. However there are times when I don't know what the heck is going on. Maybe I put a little too much weight on people's opinions.

In the beginning I heard that M80's give great detail even at low volumes. Now I hear that M80's may be to big for anything but a large room.

I heard problems with someone's setup with a 350 maybe not being enough. I have thought long and hard for a long time about upgrading to a 500. In this thread in sounds like a 500 is had to calibrate. (btw I did upgrade to a 500)

In another thread it sounds like the M60's put out plenty of bass and maybe don't need a sub. Since I'm getting M80's and they produce more bass than an M60 what am I suppose to think.

Center Channel: Go without and have a Phantom Center. M22's, VP150, M80 At times I think it's NOT me who can't make up m mind.

QS8's only problem here is the guy who wants to go back to 2.0 or 2.1

I guess my problem is that I'm a sucker for a deal. The more I buy the cheaper it is. The better I go the less chance of sending something back and paying shipping and maybe a higher cost for not getting the same discount as getting it all at once.

I was hearing about how seemlessly each Axiom component blends with each other and now I'm hearing about how complicated the calibrating is and getting comments about my "interest and desire" to get my system set up right.

Is my head spinning right now? You bet it is!

BoB/335 #244742 02/04/09 02:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
BoB/335

You seem to have spent a great deal of time and have gathered quite a bit of information before choosing your current setup. My advice is not to overthink anything at this stage. Your system should be arriving soon, correct?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BoB/335 #244756 02/04/09 04:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Information overload. I'm glad I could contribute to your confusion.

Its all about context though. For instance, talking about the effects of a room on a sub and the challenges of figuring out what the cause and effects are (and how to deal with that) is different than integration of a sub with the mains.

Relax, wait for your stuff to ship, and listen for yourself.

For the record, I do think that the M80s are a tad big for the loo. ;\)

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
BoB/335 #244758 02/04/09 04:22 AM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Don't worry Bob, it will all be good. The only problem comes when you start to tinker and calibrate too much and then it becomes a never ending quest.

You should be more than happy with everything you're getting. Take your time to just set it up, play with it, get familiar and then do a basic calibration. If you're happy take a break and enjoy it and then when you have time or interest tweak a little more.

You should be ready for the 500 and ensure all knick knacks are secured. I had one originally and it was crazy how much it put out and how much it still had left over. I ended up returning it for a couple reasons but the main one was the cost over what I got my HSU VTF3-MK2 for and how well it performed for the price difference in MY room.

Have your wife with the camera in hand to take a picture of you when your fire up the system with War of the Worlds queued up ;\)

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617