Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 33 34
Re: System is shipped as we speak (so to speak)
MarkSJohnson #247379 02/17/09 02:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
*gets popcorn, sits in easy chair*

This will be interesting!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #247380 02/17/09 02:38 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I'll join ya Doc

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #247381 02/17/09 02:46 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Got any beer to go with the popcorn, or do we have to wait for Tom to show up?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #247382 02/17/09 02:49 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Tom ALWAYS brings the beer. Come on Mark you should know that

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

MarkSJohnson #247384 02/17/09 03:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
BoB/335,

What do you have hooked up so far? If you are just running the M80's without the EP500 subwoofer make sure they are set to LARGE in your Denon receiver and not small.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BoB/335 #247385 02/17/09 03:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Bob, it's entirely possible that you are looking for a different type of sound than Axiom(P'digm, MA, B&W ect). You might be looking for a more 'laid back' or 'warmer' sound. I talked to a Paradigm dealer a while back, and he told me that alot of the music I like might be 'lacking' due to the older recordings(the digital age should have happened sooner!). Until I am set up with my speakers, I can't say what they'll sound like, only that they're said to be similar to the P'digms in sound, so that's what I based my decision on when purchasing.
Some of the material I was using to audition other speakers on, seemed to prove the "bad recording" theory. I played several cds on my auditioning and ended up leaving one cd at home simply because all the speakers I was playing it through convinced me it was poorly recorded. It's sad that there are so many good bands from the past with poorly recorded material and vice versa with many of todays bands. \:\(
I have to say that the guys here on the forums have been very open to discussion about other brands/recommendations to me with no hint, at least to me, of fanboyism. I've read alot of posts on other forums(didn't join) and there is alot of false info and riff raff on many of those forums. I've always felt the info I get from this forum, is generally from a more informed(mature?) group of people than what I see on some of those forums.
It's no secret that some feathers got ruffled here, a few weeks ago, unfortunately on the 'net, when info or opinions are put down in text, they can sometimes be misinterpretted by the reader...one thing leads to another, before you know it, everyone goes on the defence/offence. I hope this hasn't created a bias in what you are hearing when listening to your speakers. I've always felt the guys here are very informative and helpfull when I ask questions, some reg non Axiom products as well.
In the end, if you're not satisfied, and have tried various placements of your speakers ect. then Axiom allows you that 30 day trial so really it'll work out either way. \:\)

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
BoB/335 #247386 02/17/09 03:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Bob, after making such a big investment, playing brinksmanship with free advice is, well, short-sighted. Up to this point, you have gained nothing from this group compared to what you can gain now. There is a ton of experience with speakers, rooms, and M80's in particular that you could (in theory) tap at this point. Even assuming every M80 owner on this thread is a hired sales rep, the pro reviews tell you this speaker is pretty damn strong, so perhaps the problem is not the speaker, or is correctable. Maybe you just don't like them, maybe you are a plant for Polk Audio and never even ordered Axioms, who cares. The point is, if you remind everyone what you set up is, give some room sizes, figure out some peaks, etc., people would help you determine if the M80 just aren’t for you or if you just need to tweak the set up. Not sure what will happen if you just poke at people.

I guess you could call Axiom, they may help you. Or just box them up and turn in your forum password and mark the shipping cost as a learning experience. Good luck.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #247390 02/17/09 03:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh, and Bob check out the following from a new owner; either he licked the speaker and is hooked on fanboy dust already, or your experience so far is an outlier. Give it a chance man:

Quote:
Those of you with the 800... I'd like to know what your settings are so i can try a few things out.

The muffled sound/lack of bass on the 800 was BEFORE we moved the sub. so I know the volume knob thing had nothing to do with it. I spoke to JC today and we're going to take care of it, and it's not going to cost too much (thank God!!)... I really like, respect - am completely impressed with - the people at axiom!! They could have taken advantage of a newbie like me, and didn't even hint at trying to make me pay extravagant fees for the mishap!

By the way, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE M80S!!! HOLY SH*T!!! I have the streem 808s... and they're not bad at all (for the price i paid), but WOW... what a difference! Now I know what ppl mean by "a life changing experience"... it's true! We pumped up the volume on the M80s LOUD and NO distortion whatsoever... and we didn't even come CLOSE to max volume! I'm an axiomite for life now! without a doubt! can't wait to hook up the center and surrounds.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
BoB/335 #247401 02/17/09 05:04 PM
veteran
veteran
Bob, I hope you can ignore those (a minority) who are acting like this is their sandbox and you pooed in it.
You talked about the TV voices sounding thin and irritating; and wonder "if the center channel will sound even thinner than the M80s".

1.What do you have hooked up as a center?
2.What kind of calibration have you done?
3.You might tell your receiver that you don't have a center speaker to see how a "phamtom center" will sound. That will give you a better idea how the M80s sound.

I know there are more knowledgeable who will chime in to help.

Bill

Whose avatar should I borrow next?
wilwom #247403 02/17/09 05:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I hope that for BoB, the Axioms don't turn out to be a Titanic FAIL...

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Page 5 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 33 34

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,046 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup