Rate Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Pair of FMB brackets very cheap!
davekro #248223 02/21/09 09:29 PM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I just looked closely at this potential left back mount. I do not need an FSB bracket. I can easily create an extended mount for that SBL location.

Sooooo, I'll pass on the info on this pair of black, new in box FMB brackets on EBay. Only one bid, currently at $9.99.
The auction ends in 3 hours 24 mins. (4:52:14 PT)

If anyone wants a pair of FMB's cheap... :o)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

PS. I hope this does not break any rules.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
Re: Pair of FMB brackets very cheap!
davekro #248235 02/21/09 11:15 PM
shareholder in the making
The woofers are aluminum, the tweeters are titanium.

Also, not nice to post Axiom stuff for sale elsewhere on Axiom's forums. But thanks for the tip...

Last edited by kcarlile; 02/21/09 11:16 PM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #248240 02/21/09 11:24 PM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Sorry about that. I was so excited to see a great deal on these, but wanted to keep it to myself to bid on! Then I realized I did not need them! I could not stand to see such a steal not be picked up by someone here, if they had any interest.

Dave

Ken.C #248278 02/22/09 03:35 AM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
The woofers are aluminum, the tweeters are titanium.

Also, not nice to post Axiom stuff for sale elsewhere on Axiom's forums. But thanks for the tip...

I just read in the rules of conduct for this forum and it states the following.

"Participants may not use the forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind."

Davekro:
I have always understood this to mean that if you are not the one who will profit from the advertisement, It's ok to drop a link here. If I read and understand the statement correctly, and it was enforced to the letter, just about all of us would be banded from this forum as we have all posted a link to other products for sale at one time or another.

paul

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #248350 02/22/09 04:31 PM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Being this was a only a fluke one time Axiom product for sale by a private party, I did feel it would not be frowned upon to much here. SOmeone was going to get an awesome deal on hte FMB set. To me, it would be a sin to have someone on this forum not benefit from it. I would not feel right about posting some company or reseller of used stuff that had a lot of Axiom products that would deflect sales from Axiom. I do hope it was someone here who got the new in the box pair that sold for $26.59. :o)

Dave

davekro #248353 02/22/09 04:48 PM
You have a point, and I probably overreacted (not to mention I'm a total hypocrite). But generally the forum rule is to not post anything about selling stuff here.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #248355 02/22/09 04:56 PM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Yours was taken as a good reminder. Thanks.
Dave

Dave

Does XM signal (compressed)play poorly thru M60's?
davekro #248888 02/25/09 08:29 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
It has been stated many times that poor sound quality from source material will be noticeable on Axiom floor standing speakers, especaially the M80's. Anyone use XM satelite radio source through Axioms? I believe the signal is compressed a fair bit. WOuld that fact show up as harshness with the highs, mids or other significant affect?

Though after looking and listening through my CD's for demo material to audition M60's on Thursday, I forgot how much I loved listening to music! I had been all movies! Now that I will be getting new speakers, my 10 disk Sony changer will no longer just be taking up space. :o)

Last edited by davekro; 02/25/09 08:32 AM.

Dave

Re: Does XM signal (compressed)play poorly thru M60's?
davekro #248913 02/25/09 03:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Do you have XM now? Can you stand to listen to it?

When I got my new receiver it was XM/Sirius ready. I mentioned to one of my friends that I was considering subscribing to one of those services. He said to me, "you have better ears than me, and I can't even stand to listen to music on XM. You should go over to John's [a mutual friend] house and see what it sounds like." So I did; John doesn't even have that great of a stereo system--just slightly above average, but the quality of the music channels sounded like 64 kbps MP3s (I've heard that is a 32 kbps AAC stream, but XM/Sirius don't release that information).

Now, I like highs, I like them to be crisp and clear. There is so much detail in that part of the musical spectrum. As an example, my receiver has X-curve compensation for movie soundtracks which are mixed bright for theatrical presentation (more than likely most movies are remixed for home release these days, so it isn't needed). Applying a small 0.5 dB/octave slope made me ask, "where'd the treble go?" So you get my point, I notice highs. Ride cymbals have a particular timbre, you hear the impact and then they continue to ring, usually they are struck again before they stop ringing, but you hear that impact too. I forget what song it was on XM, but it was supposed to have a ride being struck through the whole chorus. Instead of individual strikes and rings, all I could hear was modulating hiss.

So will XM have harsh highs? Probably not, it doesn't have any highs at all, just violet noise. But if you don't notice anything wrong now, it'll just be more of the same.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Re: Does XM signal (compressed)play poorly thru M60's?
ClubNeon #248914 02/25/09 03:54 PM
Dave:
I've found that XM sounds bad through ANY good home system.

XM is a bit of a sore point for me, as I feel they screwed their loyal users. I was a big fan and had receivers in both cars, a portable unit and a Polk "reference tuner" for my living room. All of this was bought when XM had "near" CD quality and advertised it as so. After about six months of my substantial equipment "buy in", they got into a marketing "number of channels" war with Sirius. They went from ~100 channels initially to 170 if I remember correctly. Problem is, the FCC only allowed them so much bandwidth and so they had to compress everything more and more to offer more channels. The sound quality dropped substantially. Not as noticeable in the car (granted, their primary market) but very noticeable in the home or on a portable.

After waiting a few more months to see if they produced some magical codec to improve the listening quality, I gave up and cancelled. I was out ~$600 or so, and I was pissed.

Some, in XM forums, said it was no big deal...it still sounded fine in their cars.

But I always compared the situation to satellite TV. What if you purchased a $600 receiver for a DirecTV-type company with the promise of excellent quality hi-def broadcasting, and after a few months, the quality was dropped down to standard def for marketing reasons?

Some sympathized with that analogy, others just called me a troll because THEY thought it sounded fine.

Either way, XM (and now Sirius) will never see another dime from me.

In all fairness, when I bought a new vehicle this Fall and got 3 months of XM on trial, I DID enjoy listening to blues or comedy or political talk on longer rides. But not enough to give them $$$ once the trial period was over.

Wait.

What was the question?

Oh yeah... it'll sound pretty bad.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457