Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 34 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 33 34
Re: System is shipped as we speak (so to speak)
Micah #248857 02/25/09 03:10 AM
axiomite
axiomite
This will be a grand occasion to bring out the Blind Monk Malt !!

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #248859 02/25/09 03:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Indeed! After all, after drinking ourselves blind (how do you think the Monks got that way?) will only deepen our sense of sound... no?

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #248860 02/25/09 03:22 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yes, when you lose your sight, it is well documented that your hearing becomes much more acute.

Last edited by Adrian; 02/25/09 03:23 AM.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #248868 02/25/09 04:11 AM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Yes, when you lose your sight, it is well documented that your hearing becomes much more acute.

And it is also well documented that Adrian has very 'cute' hearing...

Micah, hearing your excitement for your audition, revs me up more for mine! Sorry to say, though that mine is day after tomorrow, so I do not get as long a build up. :o( I guess I'll manage OK though.

Anyway, congrats on having a generous soul here volunteer to let you listen. But beware, if he is a serious M80 fanboy and you as much as pause before believing them to be awesome, he'll start feedin' you the hard stuff, until you do. But the fanboy code (yes they have one) is clear that the copious alcholhol must stop when said auditionee says: "I looove yooou maaaan!"

Seriously, very cool!

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
davekro #248922 02/25/09 04:53 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Micah,

I hope you enjoy your audition. As been stated over and over again, Axiom speakers are very detailed. You’ll hear things you hadn’t heard before, including all the undesirable crap found on recordings that were not done very well. Make sure you take some disks that you know to be crap as well as a few others that are known to be good quality recordings. I have a few CD’s from the 80’s that sound like complete garbage. Cinderella’s greatest hits for one. Some good disks to bring: Pink Floyd DSOTM on SACD, the song Time. Time is my absolute favorite song for demos. It has everything from high treble to LFE and great mid range tight hitting drums. Alison Kraus and Union Station, New Favorite is another great CD for demo’s. It was recorded increadibly well and Alison Kraus's voice, well....I just like her. Green Day, American Idiot is another CD that was recorded very well. Hoobastank’s second CD is also very good. Sick Puppies, surprisingly enough for this type of music is also recorded very well.

If you give me a better idea of what type of music you like, I can recommend a few more CD’s. I have about 1100 now. Many different genres.

michael_d #248927 02/25/09 05:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
Micah,

If you give me a better idea of what type of music you like, I can recommend a few more CD’s. I have about 1100 now. Many different genres.

Well Steve has around 400 CD's, so I don't figure I'll need to really bring a whole lot. I like just about everything really, I love classical (Bethoven, Bach), classic rock (Stones, Pink Floyd, LZ, HUGE Elton John fan), 80's Rock (Great White, Tesla, Def Leppard) modern rock (Smashing Pumpkins, Nickel Back, Dave Matthews, Staind), hip hop (the bass tracks on stuff like 'The Cronic' or a lot of Tupak's stuff is pretty cool), grunge (Greenday, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, NIN) alternative (The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones), Jazz (well, I'm an incurable Neil Diamond fan... does that count?), country (Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks)... but don't worry Steve, I'm NOT planning on bringing all of this over to sample.

On the agenda is some music, both stuff he thinks will show off the M80's I'm sure, as well as some of my stuff that I presume is well recorded stuff, but maybe I'll find out different... as well as some movies (exerps of course, we're not going to sit through 6 hours of movies, just the highlights). And we're going to squeeze this into a 3 hour window so that he can go on with his life as usuall (don't want to wear out my welcome).

It should be just the thing I need to settle my newfound nerves. I'll keep in mind his room will probably be MUCH more suited to his set-up, but I'll still have a great idea of what they 'can' sound like!

Last edited by Micah; 02/25/09 05:22 PM.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
davekro #248929 02/25/09 05:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: davekro
 Originally Posted By: Adrian

Micah, hearing your excitement for your audition, revs me up more for mine! Sorry to say, though that mine is day after tomorrow, so I do not get as long a build up. :o( I guess I'll manage OK though.

Ah, and where are you going for your audition?

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #248957 02/25/09 08:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Micah, don't take this the wrong way, but there is not a chance in hell the M80's would be shrill to customers at the volumes and in the setting you are talking about. You are describing the most non-critical of listening, background music. You could use Bose, or even the brightest Klipsch you could get your hands on, and at 80db no one would ever call it bright. You might have a serious echo problem in that room that will be noticed, but you are not pushing the speakers to a realm where these problems will arise – if they exist.

If you have are concerned about your enjoyment at normal critical-listening levels, then perhaps the M60s would be better for you. They are more laid back, from what I have read, but sound great according to comparisons to the 80s. I guess I'm just having trouble rectifying your heightened state of concern with the described intended use. I would say, for non-critical listening, it is damn hard to find a bad speaker at $1,000 a pair. It's like someone asking you if they are going to hate riding around the neighborhood on a motorbike you consider to be pretty ordinary, but has significant performance issues at the edge. If they are never getting anywhere near the performance edge, it won't matter. Same with speakers.

And I don't own Axiom fronts...this is just my experience with good to outstanding speakers over the last 15 years. You are in a safe place. But if bright concerns you (and in your room I can see why it could!), try the M60's first.

Finally, if you frame your own pics in the gallery, you can use them as absorbers/defusers. Just try to get them away from the wall a bit (a few inches) to add some space between the wall and the pic surface. Then put fiber board or other absorbing material behind the pic. You won't see it from the front, but you will get some acoustic benefit. You can alternate between dense material and loose to get diffraction where desired. I've done this in my room and it works ok. The surface will reflect more that a pure acoustic treatment, but yours is not an audio room so just look for benefits where you can get them. Glass on the front will bounce it all back. But, perhaps, put a tall plant in the corners, add some accent screens or seating to help break up the echo of the square room while staying the functional side of acoustic treatment. Every item you can put in there will help the echo chamber you are dealing with. And that echo will enhance brightness, so again, consider the M60s.

Best of luck to you.
P.S. '80's rock will also enhance brightness (screaming guitars and banging cymbals, etc.) Bring CDs you expect to use with clients.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #248961 02/25/09 08:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Micah,

The bands/composers that I would pick out of that list that generally have good recordings (not sure on the albums you own) is Bach, Beethoven, Pink Floyd, Dave Matthews, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam (Yield) is decent. I don't listen to country so I am not sure on those. If you want to know what compression will sound like on Axioms you can choose something like Metallica: Death Magnetic, Oasis: What’s The Story Morning Glory?, Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication. The engineers and producers butchered those albums (noticeable distortion and digital clipping).

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #248966 02/25/09 09:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Quote:
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication. The engineers and producers butchered those albums (noticeable distortion and digital clipping).

Thank you. I have had this debate with non-audio-concerned friends that say it sounds fine. I can't listen to RHCP except for Stadium Arcadiaum, which I love, the rest is horribly recorded. Guns & Roses Live is the worst I've heard. Play that and you find out what bright means.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Page 21 of 34 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 33 34

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters