Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: 3808 and PPPoE
PeterChenoweth #249397 02/28/09 03:10 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
Is the router's DHCP function enabled? Is that notebook set to acquire its IP/DNS/etc info automatically? If yes, and the Denon isn't able to get an IP address when it's set to it DHCP mode, then that's not a good sign. You may have some sort of compatibility issue.

Yes, yes, and yes, and no, it's not a good sign and I also suspect a compatability issue.

I hate those combo DSL/router things.

Me too, except when they work, before we had Charter with much higher bandwidth but with separate modem/router the handshake between components would break down several times a day and we would have to reboot both computers as well as modem and router to be back in business, and then the connection started going down for 6-7 hours at a time, the combo setup has been a dream in that once set up it has never gone down (the router never loses the modem just as an arm never loses its elbow) even though there has been considerable bandwidth sacrifice (1.5 Mbps vs. 4-5 Mbps, e.g., no HD video over broadband, not that we ever had such a thing but I suppose that's on the way); however, my guess also is it that somehow the combo dsl/router is the root cause of the problem of the 3808's inability to access the net.

You may have to go buy a 'real' router manufactured by a more mainstream company, like a D-Link or Linksys. Then you'd use the combo doodad as a Modem only, and use the new router to actually handle the routing/AP duties.

More than willing to consider that, thanks for the hint, however, I cringe at the thought of the Windows computers having to find the router or the router having to find the modem; before with Cable I had a Motorola Surfboard SB2100 with Netgear router (if memory serves) both of which were highly rated (and worked better than Linksys in my experience as well as other consumers) and definitely fast but was unable to maintain the network connections consistently (i.e., had to reboot a few times a day, pretty unacceptable amounts of downtime)

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
SatKartr #249398 02/28/09 03:11 AM
devotee
devotee
I'll chime in on your last comment, although Peter is clearly the expert on this subject. In general, any DSL modem will work in most situations. All it does is bring the internet connection to the computer. I agree with Peter that a decent stand-alone router will make your life a lot easier, and may very well solve your connectivity problem. Routers are pretty inexpensive (try NewEgg or Tiger Direct), and they specialize in connecting your various devices to the modem. As a bonus, they offer an extra layer of firewall protection by making your network invisible to the internet. Even so, you should also have a software firewall on your individual computers.

I started out with nothing & I've still got most of it left
M60 VP160 QS8 EP350
M22 VP100
Algonquins
MarkSJohnson #249401 02/28/09 03:15 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Have you unplugged the router, then plugged it back in after a minute or two?

I'm struggling with some network issues too (not with the 3808) and I'm surprised about how many things get solved with a router "reboot"...

Yes I've experienced that as well, router power down/up was one of the first things I tried a few times, as well as unplugging everything else that had been connected to the router and plugging the 3808 directly into the modem/router to see if that would help.

No change with functionality and denon settings/status as per router were identical with regard to connectivity (Denon status: connected, same IP address), whether over ethernet, powerline adapter, or other devices connected/disconnected to/from modem/router.

Joe_in_SC #249404 02/28/09 03:25 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: Joe_in_Ct
I'll chime in on your last comment, although Peter is clearly the expert on this subject. In general, any DSL modem will work in most situations. All it does is bring the internet connection to the computer. I agree with Peter that a decent stand-alone router will make your life a lot easier, and may very well solve your connectivity problem. Routers are pretty inexpensive (try NewEgg or Tiger Direct), and they specialize in connecting your various devices to the modem. As a bonus, they offer an extra layer of firewall protection by making your network invisible to the internet. Even so, you should also have a software firewall on your individual computers.

Interesting, do you think I could implement a standalone router to negotiate the handshake between the 3808 and the ATT modem/router, i.e., 3808-->standalone router-->ATT modem/router (come to think of it, I bet the Netgear router is still somewhere in a drawer in the garage, could be time for a test). Problem is that ATT is partial to their own gear and the 2Wire is just SO reliable with regard to Windows computer connectivity to the internet, I hate to think about going back to the individual components route (how ironic, eh? ;\) ) and would prefer to keep the 3808 on its own separate loop if feasible.

SatKartr #249417 02/28/09 04:16 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Well I've been messing around but so far placing the Netgear RP614 router in between the 3808 and 2701 does nothing useful, via DHCP the same IP address is assigned to the 614 and 3808, so that can't work.

Perhaps the more routers you have, the more potential interference you create between yourself (the 3808) and the 'net.

SatKartr #249418 02/28/09 04:18 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Can't buy me connection, everybody tells me so
Can't buy me connection, no no no NO!

Hey I guess that makes me pretty old, no? ;\)

SatKartr #249439 02/28/09 06:36 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
It's so ridiculous, the sweet wife comes home, complains re: my deconstruction of the living room for purposes of troubleshooting, I unplug everything, put the components back in place in two minutes, and three seconds later the network is in perfect working order, zero issues much less troubleshooting between 2 desktops (1: Windows MCE 2005 [direct ethernet connect], 2: Vista Ultimate in-place upgrade from XP Home [connected via powerline adapter]), a notebook (Vista U, wireless connection) and aforementioned dsl modem/router.

Denon what is your problem? Oh, sorry I forgot, it's a "network problem" (as the rep stated, most of the time these things are caused by the router, meaning "we have no clue, you're on your own, don't look to us for any constructive advice").

I'm willing to spend money on interconnectivity after having received such a deal on the 3808 and what with the prospect of a free feature upgrade; however what to buy? What's a mother to do?

Last edited by SatKartr; 02/28/09 06:43 AM. Reason: clarification

SatKartr #249441 02/28/09 06:41 AM
shareholder in the making
OK, let's start from the top. The computers, what are their IP addresses? If they're not in 172.16.x.x-172.31.x.x, 192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x, don't put them in; otherwise it's safe to post it.

If you look at the Denon network info, does it match the same pattern as the computers?

If so, go to a computer and ping the Denon's IP. If that works, it's on your network, it just can't find the internet, which probably points to either a gateway/routing problem or a DNS problem.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #249445 02/28/09 06:54 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
OK, let's start from the top. The computers, what are their IP addresses? If they're not in 172.16.x.x-172.31.x.x, 192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x, don't put them in; otherwise it's safe to post it.

If you look at the Denon network info, does it match the same pattern as the computers?

If so, go to a computer and ping the Denon's IP. If that works, it's on your network, it just can't find the internet, which probably points to either a gateway/routing problem or a DNS problem.

The IP addresses are 192.168.1.64, 192.168.1.65, 192.168.1.66, and 192.168.1.67.

The Denon is unable to obtain an IP address via DHCP even though the router shows the Denon as "connected" with IP address of 192.168.1.67.

Even if I enter the info manually on the Denon it is unsuccessful in connecting (although perhaps I am missing something).

Don't know how to ping, however the router shows the Denon as present and "connected" to the network suggesting it may in fact be a gateway/routing problem or DNS problem. How might I proceed in distinguishing between the two?

SatKartr #249446 02/28/09 06:57 AM
Well, if you go into the command line on one of the Windows boxes, you type ping 192.168.1.67. If it comes back with a response, the Denon's talking (sort of).

Manually entering an IP on the denon, you would use something like 192.168.1.10, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1. If you type ipconfig /all in the command line on one of the desktops, you'll find the DNS entries which you should use on the Denon.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 418 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup