Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Picked up my speakers...
#250210 03/04/09 08:24 PM
Adrian Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
On Tuesday I headed up to Dwight, which is a three hr drive from Caledon accompanied by my brother who I picked up along the way. The weather was great...cool as you would expect at this time of year in cottage country, but the roads were dry and clear, the skies were blue and cloudless and a lot of the snow had dissappeared(for the time being at least!) with some left in the forest and along the sides of highway 11.

So, we drove up to Huntsville, one of my favourite towns in cotage country. This area reminds me a little of Kelowna BC for some reason, the way the lake, hills and town is situated as we headed east on #60 toward Dwight, passing the famous Deerhurst Inn (perhaps most known for where Shania was discovered)on the way. Someday, I've got to move here...

So we got to Dwight around lunchtime, and walked into Axiom around noon...yes, Noreen was sitting at the very same desk, and greeted us as we came in. I'd already had the factory tour in the fall, so I decided not to ask for another one, although I'm sure they would have obliged. Noreen directed us to the shipping area of the 2nd building where my speakers were waiting for me. Upon seeing the size of the boxes for the M80s, I looked at my brother and kind of gave him one of those "H*ly Cr*p" looks. You see, I had invited Fredk up also, but due to work schedule he was unable to come up on a week day....now, I have an extended cab Silverado Z71....those speakers, plus the centre and surrounds filled the entire back of the truck cab, WITH both front seats nearly all the way up. To make a little extra space, I finished off a jug of WW fluid (mmm...no, I didn't drink it!).

We weren't at Axiom for too long before we headed back to Huntsville and had a coffee at Tim Hortons before heading south back to my brother's house for a couple of hours for some dinner and to visit his family before heading back home.

So now, I've gotten the speakers all unpacked, as well as the Denon AVR and Blue Ray, I've just taken the old Sony tv out for garbage pickup tomorrow...it will go the "audiopile" in Brampton more than likely. I've been looking at what I've got here and I know I need to decide on some things. Namely, how I'll set up the furniture/seating arrangement vs the position of the tv (52" Sammy). This will take a bit of trial and error, but that's getting ahead of myself here.

I'm in need of a few items that I'll be picking up this week...Banana Plugs, a sub cable, and it sounds like you guys recommend one to get an SPL metre to set things up, correct?
I may have to build a shelf for the centre, or possibly get a three teir shelf instead of the two teir I have right now. This may take some trial and error, on my part as this is going in my family room and is not a dedicated HT.

So, right now, I'm looking for some Banana plugs, I've seen the ones on Ebay(Nakamichi) from a seller in Hong Kong. Has anyone had any prob's ordering from overseas or are there any places more locally to order from (preferred). Also, re sub cable, should I get one made up from my local store or pick one up from BB or Future Shop. I'll need as much as 25ft. Again, I think you guys recommend an SPL metre as well to help verify the best settings on the speakers, correct?

Tks, Adrian \:\)

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Re: Picked up my speakers...
Adrian #250212 03/04/09 08:35 PM
shareholder in the making
 Originally Posted By: Adrian

I'm in need of a few items that I'll be picking up this week...

Check out monoprice or PartsExpress for Canadian shipping!

Congrats, Adrian!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #250214 03/04/09 08:41 PM
Adrian Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Tks, Mark. \:\) I'll have a good look those links and check Amazon/Ebay more thoroughly this evening.

Adrian #250236 03/04/09 10:00 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Monoprice, all the way.

The pictures didn't display correctly for me.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #250241 03/04/09 10:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"Audiopile". I LOVE IT! \:\)

I have purchased cables, banana plugs and bbigwyres from Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable. Both excellent companies to deal with. The only problem is (since you probably want to get your system hooked up ASAP) that it takes about 7-14 days for the package to arrive from the United States. Never had to pay any border fees beyond what each company charged for shipping when I placed my order.

Congrats on your purchase Adrian! \:\) \:\) \:\)

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #250242 03/04/09 10:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I bought a big pile of Monoprice banana plugs and have been very happy with them.

Last edited by bridgman; 03/04/09 10:44 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #250244 03/04/09 11:13 PM
Adrian Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I may be able to get some Nakamichi plugs locally. Does anyone know if these are copper or are they brass?

Adrian #250249 03/04/09 11:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's great Adrian, congrats my man!

Monoprice for me also, I did pick up some odds and ends at some of the local home stores, namely bulk speaker wire and a few banana plugs from Lowes or Home Depot, now I have extras laying around. I am having the same issues as Tom though, pics are not coming through for me either ... might want to try reposting. \:\)

Congrats again and can't wait to hear your thoughts regarding the new digs, and oh yea...

SPL meter is a must!

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #250255 03/05/09 12:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have not actually tried this place http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=AHH_Banana for banana plugs - and I don't know if they ship to Canada but the way this reads, these seem to be a good deal............Rob

Last edited by Argon; 03/05/09 12:09 AM. Reason: corrected for readability

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
RickF #250256 03/05/09 12:08 AM
Told ya that you'll have to post pics, Adrian! \:\)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020