Re: Emotiva MPS-2 Amp hum/buzz questions
chapin99 #250426 03/06/09 01:43 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
 Quote:
More beer and oomph for all!

Well, that should probably just be the mantra of the week.

Bryston makes very well-respected equipment. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Rotel, and wid promotes his incessantly \:\) I've also heard people say good things about ATI.

Honestly, I think Emotiva just has overwhelming QA problems right now.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #250440 03/06/09 02:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
...and ATI builds Outlaw's multi-channel amps. If you are interested in ATI, and want to build up an amp over time, adding channel modules as you need it, go with ATI. If you're going to buy all at once, get the Outlaw. Put another way, if you like smaller payments over time, you can go that way with ATI. But if you're going to spend all at once you can save a little money with Outlaw; they just don't sell a partially full chassis.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #250445 03/06/09 03:06 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I did not know that, Chris. Thanks.

tomtuttle #250450 03/06/09 03:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Laura, we now know a good deal about your system. But I did not see any details on your room and setup. The amp problem is just that, an amp problem. You can get a new or used amp from many well known companies and not have to worry about the issues you have right now. Two channels would like do it, as the 3808 can clearly run the other channels. Open any audio website and the trusted names will be published and reviewed often - e.g., Parasound, Krell, Bryston, McIntosh.

But I'm struck by the fact you have the 3808 as a pre-pro. You are nearing the price of separates, and have separates, yet you have a wasted amp section in the 3808 and a sub-par pre-pro for the price. Why didn't you want a dedicated pre-pro? Just curious.

Given the general confidence that people have in the 3808's amp section, and the size of your room, I'm thinking you could use some time/money on speaker placement and room treatments. You are clearly willing to pay to get good sound, but no amp or tube will fix the first order reflections blurring your image, or the modes of your room causing muddy bass, etc. (It will fix loud, which I like!) Have you plotted the frequency response of your room? If not, try that. If/Once you have that data, you will find lots of advice here about how to improve your room to get the most out of what you have - which is plenty for an audiophile system, with or without a separate amp.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
chapin99 #250509 03/06/09 03:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just wondering Tom if the "Beer in Tree" was a reference to Bob and Doug Mackenzie's version of 12 Days of Christmas or was it simply the dream of a stout guzzling squirrel?

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #250512 03/06/09 03:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Take off you hoser!

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
Zimm #250523 03/06/09 04:41 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
 Originally Posted By: Zimm
Laura, we now know a good deal about your system. But I did not see any details on your room and setup. The amp problem is just that, an amp problem. You can get a new or used amp from many well known companies and not have to worry about the issues you have right now. Two channels would like do it, as the 3808 can clearly run the other channels. Open any audio website and the trusted names will be published and reviewed often - e.g., Parasound, Krell, Bryston, McIntosh.

But I'm struck by the fact you have the 3808 as a pre-pro. You are nearing the price of separates, and have separates, yet you have a wasted amp section in the 3808 and a sub-par pre-pro for the price. Why didn't you want a dedicated pre-pro? Just curious.

Given the general confidence that people have in the 3808's amp section, and the size of your room, I'm thinking you could use some time/money on speaker placement and room treatments. You are clearly willing to pay to get good sound, but no amp or tube will fix the first order reflections blurring your image, or the modes of your room causing muddy bass, etc. (It will fix loud, which I like!) Have you plotted the frequency response of your room? If not, try that. If/Once you have that data, you will find lots of advice here about how to improve your room to get the most out of what you have - which is plenty for an audiophile system, with or without a separate amp.

Thanks, Zimm. I didn't go with dedicated pre/pro because I'm still learning and when I got the denon at least I knew it would be a great receiver with the proper number of hdmi jacks and good video stuff. Thought it would be the end of the road, but then I've kinda tweaked my analog setup and wanted to be sure I was doing what I could with that. I have a crazy setup and room is at a premium. I'll try to post an image somehow, but I also run a simultaneous quadraphonic system (wait 'till you see the huge La Scala fronts) with all that dedicated hardware (that is all upgraded and/or in great condition) and even a small panasonic receiver that now uses analog out of directv hd-dvr to drive my bose outdoor speakers mounted on my patio (old yamaha did this, but denon uses those two channels to run my channels 6 and 7, so bought used little receiver). I love my quad stuff when I'm in that mode, but I love my more pristine sounding 2 channel and hi-rez stuff when I'm in that mode, so I guess I have a nice system for a schizophrenic! I like what I like, so some people just wouldn't get it, but it is cool. Anyway, I digress. I will try to put a picture here and you might get to see my 1963 Ami/Rowe Continental Jukebox too (all this is why I have fun but not the savings account!). Thanks for the input, everyone, on amps. I'll be watching audiogon most likely - I'm scared to try anything with modules again, so will probably stick to the bryston-type amps. And, in the meantime, I may just find that the denon is fine. Oh - big thanks on the room treatment idea. I believe that will be a weak link and maybe hard to remedy - and wish I understood about the curve things, but all I have done is setup with audyssey (too many times to count). Someday I might get there. Thanks again. Happy beer in a tree!
Laura

chapin99 #250524 03/06/09 04:46 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Oops - I see you have to have some sort of url to post a pic. I have no idea about all that. I was hoping for a cut and paste type thing. If I figure anything out, I will post a pic, but doubtful. Sorry.

chapin99 #250531 03/06/09 05:05 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Laura:
Posting photos on the Axiom boards isn't too bad.

Open a free account at Photobucket.com. Check out this FAQ and the "Photobucket Overview" questions on the left. You'll want to make your photos smallish so they don't end up gigantic when posted.

After you've uploaded images, hover over the image that you want to post here in the forums. A little box will pop up under the image. Move your mouse over the bottom one and click it to copy it (on some computers it will copy the info as you click it, others you'll have to copy the info).

Now, in the Axiom forums, click "paste" in a text box when composing a message and it'll put in all the right info. You can preview your Axiom post to make sure it worked!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
chapin99 #250532 03/06/09 05:05 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Laura, Zimm has given great advice yet again.

You can use photobucket to host pictures and then paste the img tags here.

Murph, it was both

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082