Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Emotiva MPS-2 Amp hum/buzz questions
tomtuttle #250599 03/06/09 10:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Laura, after mentioning room treatment, I went to the RealTraps site to get a test tone generator for myself (free). I found a few videos that go through the basics of room treatment and might help you understand your acoustic environment better. Room Treatment With all due respect, as much as you appear to enjoy music and as much as you have invested, you can't hide from learning some acoustic theory at this point.

Before you buy that Bryston amp, review the videos and see if you notice any glaring problems with your room. You might find that some simple position changes, or cheap DIY changes can fix most of what you don't like. People with much bigger rooms find the 3808 to be a very good amp. For a small room, you don't need more power. It won't hurt, but unless money is no object, I'd bet you Adrian's M80s that your dollars would go 5 times as far dealing with reflections in your room. (and that would also benefit your Quad setup) I have been surprised at the improvement in imaging and clarity in my room with modest changes. (Although my response graph still looks like OJ's lie detector test results!)

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
MarkSJohnson #250601 03/06/09 11:01 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff

Hey! That sounds easy. I will play with it tomorrow. I appreciate the heads up.
Laura
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Laura:
Posting photos on the Axiom boards isn't too bad.

Open a free account at Photobucket.com. Check out this FAQ and the "Photobucket Overview" questions on the left. You'll want to make your photos smallish so they don't end up gigantic when posted.

After you've uploaded images, hover over the image that you want to post here in the forums. A little box will pop up under the image. Move your mouse over the bottom one and click it to copy it (on some computers it will copy the info as you click it, others you'll have to copy the info).

Now, in the Axiom forums, click "paste" in a text box when composing a message and it'll put in all the right info. You can preview your Axiom post to make sure it worked!

Zimm #250602 03/06/09 11:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hands off the M80s \:D Feel free to bet my 28 yr old JVC/Sansui/no-name combo downstairs that is home to the various species of basement crawlers though.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Zimm #250603 03/06/09 11:08 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thanks again, Zimm. You are right - I think I need to open my brain to learning about this. Thanks for the link, I will check it out and I would be delighted to make some cheaper changes, especially when it will benefit all my music and HT hobbies. I guess all I needed was a pointer in the right direction. Also, for anyone still interested, I believe the customer service folks at Emotiva are going to work with me about the return shipping. This means so much to me that I just needed to let people know. (I'll know for sure next week to be 100% positive I'm hearing it right from them). It sure makes a person feel better about the company and it isn't like they just ignored me, so I have to say that I am happy with their customer service at this point, no matter how trying it has been on my end. Onward! I also look forward to posting pics of my unusual setup for y'all. Thanks!
Laura
 Originally Posted By: Zimm
Laura, after mentioning room treatment, I went to the RealTraps site to get a test tone generator for myself (free). I found a few videos that go through the basics of room treatment and might help you understand your acoustic environment better. Room Treatment With all due respect, as much as you appear to enjoy music and as much as you have invested, you can't hide from learning some acoustic theory at this point.

Before you buy that Bryston amp, review the videos and see if you notice any glaring problems with your room. You might find that some simple position changes, or cheap DIY changes can fix most of what you don't like. People with much bigger rooms find the 3808 to be a very good amp. For a small room, you don't need more power. It won't hurt, but unless money is no object, I'd bet you Adrian's M80s that your dollars would go 5 times as far dealing with reflections in your room. (and that would also benefit your Quad setup) I have been surprised at the improvement in imaging and clarity in my room with modest changes. (Although my response graph still looks like OJ's lie detector test results!)

chapin99 #250750 03/07/09 08:18 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Trying to post some pics - hope this works!

chapin99 #250751 03/07/09 08:19 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Holy cow. Look at all of that gear.

chapin99 #250753 03/07/09 08:23 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
More - going around room (you'll note my sound issues in the room layout). Hope you enjoy and this isn't too irritating.

chapin99 #250754 03/07/09 08:31 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
One last pic - camera hasn't cooperated that much: This pic is before I added the extra shelf to the lovan rack to the left of the tv. Also, when I had bellari phono stage (now I have the jolida). My room issues are that it is obviously dense with furniture, rugs, dog stuff; it has windows all around (I love them all!), short hallway enters rear of room and there is an open window-ish hole to kitchen and a door to the living room up front by the left la scala. Anyway, at least now you can see my simultaneous quad and stereo/HT system. Thanks for looking and telling me about photobucket! Oh - amp is packed and ready for return (took hours to uninstall modules and reconnect just denon).

chapin99 #250757 03/07/09 09:05 PM
aficionado
aficionado

Wow... nice setup....8-tracks even!! A woman after my own heart! \:\)

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED
chapin99 #250807 03/08/09 03:30 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Thats a very nice room Laura. Actually, it dosn't look to bad acoustically. The bookshelves on the right side are great for diffusion and you have a fair amount of furniture to further break things up. You should get decent imaging in that setup.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters